Forum Competition # 140 Birds

Enter our forum competitions here
Gill Blower
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Forum Competition # 140 Birds

Post by Gill Blower »

My dad used to take me birdwatching when I was young and i would love to be able to capture great bird images. I want to see a good variety....garden birds, captive birds, ducks, owls....any bird of the feathered variety! No pictures of cooked turkeys...the bird/s should be alive! With Xmas and New Year coming up the closing date will be midnight Sunday 3rd January. Good luck!
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Re: Forum Competition # 140 Birds

Post by Janice Freeman »

Red Billed Stork
Red Billed Stork.jpg
Red Billed Stork.jpg (104.53 KiB) Viewed 11297 times
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by yachtsman1 »

This guy was on Southport Marine Lake.
Eric
a1.jpg
a1.jpg (90.12 KiB) Viewed 11275 times
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

010 Ringing Birds at Gibside.jpg
010 Ringing Birds at Gibside.jpg (296.27 KiB) Viewed 11256 times
Ringing birds at Gibside House. The process did not seem to trouble the birds at all, who simply went docile when handled.
Best regards

John
Mrs Yachtsman1
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Mrs Yachtsman1 »

A pair of Southport gulls.
Margaret
Mrs Yachtsman1.
a13.jpg
a13.jpg (103.15 KiB) Viewed 11251 times
mikeaspinall
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by mikeaspinall »

Taken at Bridgewater Canal

DUCK A L'ORANGE
Attachments
DUCK A L'ORANGE 2.jpg
DUCK A L'ORANGE 2.jpg (209.09 KiB) Viewed 11210 times
al c field
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by al c field »

here feeding time
IMG_1195.jpg
IMG_1195.jpg (266.72 KiB) Viewed 11164 times
Dennis G

Post by Dennis G »

Hi

Great subject by the way, Pair of Macaws I took this in Mexico in September this year thought I'd share it with you.
Attachments
Pair of Macaws
Pair of Macaws
Pair of Macaws.jpg (263.6 KiB) Viewed 11155 times
Kind Regards

Dennis
Barbara Shirley
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Barbara Shirley »

Emu. Taken at the South Lakes Zoo.
bird.jpg
bird.jpg (190.11 KiB) Viewed 11087 times
BydoR9
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by BydoR9 »

Blue Tit.

Andy Butler.

Happy New Year to everyone!
Attachments
Blue Tit.jpg
Blue Tit.jpg (164.18 KiB) Viewed 11046 times
Gordon Armstrong
Chair
Chair

Post by Gordon Armstrong »

I don't think this quite fits the brief but the bird is a key element and it amused me!! :-d

It is a classic wildlife shot - the alpha male was stalking his prey and the young females were vying for attention!!!
hunting.jpg
hunting.jpg (111.94 KiB) Viewed 11028 times
"People say that nothing is impossible, but some times I can do nothing all day"

Gordon
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

My entry...
Island-of-Pelicans.jpg
Island-of-Pelicans.jpg (147.12 KiB) Viewed 10980 times
Gill Blower
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Gill Blower »

Hi All

Thanks for all your entries...I will post the results tonight....keep
posted!
Gill Blower
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Gill Blower »

This is the bit I hate....who am I to judge! Thanks to everyone who entered. Here goes...

Janice

Good headshot of the stork showing off its bright red bill. Nicely diffused background shows good depth of field used.The eye is nice and sharp, which is important, the bill is going out very slightly at the end but does not detract from the overall image. The angle of the stork in the frame has produced a very pleasing composition.

Yachtsman 1

The gull fills the frame and stands out nicely against the sea. The exposure on the breast of the bird has been handled well in the bright sunlight. It's so easy to say I would have liked to see the bird coming towards the camera but I know how difficult birds in flight can be to capture...great attempt and better than any I have managed to date.

John

Added interest in this shot with an image showing a bird being ringed. The hand is an integral part of this image but is slightly out of focus which leaves you to concentrate on the bird. The only niggle I have, and it's picking really, is that the nails on the mans hand are a little too bright.for me anyway. The image is informative (record shot ?) and highlights the importance of conservation. Nice original take on my topic.

Mrs Yachtsman!

I feel the main interest in this image is with the gull on the right hand side of the frame. I would perhaps have used a portrait format and cropped out the gull on the left...but that's down to my personal choice. The gull on the right is reflected nicely in the water, with good texture in the ripples in the sand. The foreground is just enough out of focus to draw your eye to the gulls.

Mike Aspinall

Oh Mike, this was the shot that I kept coming back to and on each visit I liked it more. The movement in the ducks wings works really well and I like the position of the bird in the frame. The processing of the water and greenery is very effective and the vignette has not been overdone. Great title as well. Lovely....what else can I say.

Alisdair

A shot showing just a small number of the birds that can be seen at Pennington Flash...well worth a visit. Unfortunately, I don't think the weather was kind to you Alisdair....looks like a typical dull, cloudy day which doesn't always help an image. I would have perhaps looked for a slightly better view point just to get rid of the front of the car. Definitely fills the brief with lots of birds!....Would be good to do this one again on a brighter day.

Dennis G

This is one of those shots everyone says Mac 'aaawwww' to (sorry!). Good, sharp colourful image of these two beautiful macaws with lovely detail in the feathers. A close crop has helped to lessen any distractions in the background to focus the eye. Great subjects to photograph.

Barbara Shirley

Trust you to capture something quirky....this made me smile. The depth of field used means the background is nicely out of focus making the emu stand out. I don't know if it's my screen but the emu looks a little soft in places? Good composition, the close crop suits the subject and I love the expression on its face.

BydoR9

A lovely sharp, well exposed image showing all the feather detail of the blue tit. Background is nicely out of focus and the twig is on a slight diagonal which all judges look for. These little birds move fast and I have never managed to get an image I am happy with yet! Would love to have taken this!

Gordon Armstrong

Your image did make me smile and I love your description of this candid shot of 3 budding birdwatchers. As you say it doesn't quite fit the brief but a well spotted image all the same.

Tracey McGovern

A well spotted image Tracey and definitely fits the brief. It's quite a busy image with the island only taking up a small area of the frame, however it is well positioned. Exposure has been handled well on what looks like a bright, sunny day with detail in the ripples and reflections in the water.

Results:

3rd Dennis G
2nd Andy (BydoR9)
1st Mike Aspinall
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Well done Mike, and many thanks to Gill for the comprehensive and prompt judging!
Best regards

John