Competition #2 - England's Northwest

Enter our forum competitions here
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Competition #2 - England's Northwest

Post by Paul Jones »

We had a good response to the first competiton and I'd like to see more members posting images, so I've decided on a theme that every member of ADAPS should be able to take part in.

The theme is 'England's Northwest'

The brief:

Post ONE image that you think typifies our region - it's attractiveness, character, diversity, vibrancy and way of life.

Images might, for example, show the beauty of the countryside, famous Northwest landmarks, inner city architecture, nightlife, the friendliness and humour of northerners, people at work or play, local sports, northern food and drink, etc. There are endless possibilities if you use your imagination.

Images should have been taken in the Northwest - Cumbria & Lake District, Lancashire, Cheshire, Merseyside, Manchester, etc. Images may be colour or monochrome.

If anyone needs some inspiration you could take a look at these tourism sites:

http://www.englandsnorthwest.com/
http://www.visitenglandsnorthwest.com/
http://www.visitnorthwest.com/
http://www.virtualnorthwest.org.uk/imagebank/

As before, the competition will run for two weeks. The closing date is midnight on Tuesday 6th November.

I will select the winner and he/she will then choose the theme for the next competition.

Best regards
Last edited by Paul Jones on Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
Lee Bold
Photographer
Photographer

Post by Lee Bold »

The northwest Rugby League plays a big part in everyday life.
Lee
sunsworth
Photographer
Photographer

Post by sunsworth »

Blackpool Elvis. A bit of a come down after Vegas!

keith richardson
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by keith richardson »

Seat of Power : Manchester Town Hall
pammie
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by pammie »

Last edited by pammie on Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pammie
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Beetham Tower - Rhapsody in Blue

Post by pammie »

Sue
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Sue »

Evening at Trafford

Best wishes

Sue
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Lakeland Colours

Best regards

John
Theo Dibbits
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Theo Dibbits »

Coniston water with the snow capped Furness Fells in the background

Theo
TerryMooney

Post by TerryMooney »

"The Singing Ringing Tree" located at Crown Point near Burnley it is approximately 4 Metres high.

It is one of four 'Panopticon' stuctures in the area.

The other three are 'Atom sited at Wycoller, 'Colourfields' in Blackburn and 'Halo' overlooking Haslingden.

TerryMooney
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

The Results

Post by Paul Jones »

Thank-you to everyone who has entered. You've given me a difficult task. I could see all of the shots making it into a feature about England's Northwest in one way or another. You've also given me some ideas for places to visit.

Well, I suppose there has to be a winner. I'm judging these on what grabs me and how I think they have interpreted the original brief.

Lee - a nice action shot with an intense stare. I think if you cropped it down a little from the top to remove the distracting white building in the background you'd perhaps have a stronger image, but that's nit-picking.

Keith - another strong image, with bold colours and your well-known HDR style.

Myra - a well executed photograph as we have come to expect from you, taken under bright conditions. It's a place I've never been to, but will now add it to my list.

Sue - very atmospheric and lovely colour and our only night shot.

John - a lovely tapestry of colours.

Theo - it makes me want to be there...

Terry - I've never seen this before. Very unusual and nicely captured. Thanks for the info.

3rd place
Pammie - a nice shot of one of Manchester's most notable landmarks. The cycle sign and the lamp-post give a nice lead-in.

2nd place
Des - wonderful colours and lighting. A good eye has seen a very simple scene that encapsulates some of the beauty of our region.

Winner
Steve - in the brief I included 'the friendliness and humour of northerners' and I think your image has that. The big wheel reflected in the window behind him is a nice touch. Perhaps if the door had been closed we could have seen more, but that's looking at what might have been and not the image shown. It's not your typical tourism shot, but it has character and humour and is my winner.

I now invite Steve Unsworth to choose a theme for the next online competition, with another two week closing date.

Best regards

Paul
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
sunsworth
Photographer
Photographer

Post by sunsworth »

Thanks Paul, and thanks to everyone who entered. There were some very good photographs, and it's just a pity that the small sized images that we can see on the internet doesn't really do them justice.

I'll have a think about a subject and post a message this evening. I'm assuming that Paul, John or one of the other mods will be able to make it a 'sticky', I'm not sure if I can do that myself.
sunsworth
Photographer
Photographer

Post by sunsworth »

I just tried adding a new post and 'sticky' doesn't seem to be one of the options.

What I'll do is post a new topic tonight. If a mod can convert that into a 'sticky' then fine, if not then they can copy my text to a new message of their own and delete my original.

Does that make sense?