#174 - Transportation

Enter our forum competitions here
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

#174 - Transportation

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Hi All

It's difficult trying to think of new topics for this competition but as some of you have had recent outings to places involving transport and machinery I thought this may be a good one to choose.

So, any images that involve ANY type of transportation or parts of transportation will fit the bill.

Closing date is: midnight Sunday 25th September.

Good luck everyone.

Tracey
BydoR9
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Re: #174 - Transportation

Post by BydoR9 »

Transportation in a more abstracted sense :[]
Attachments
Travelling Without Moving.jpg
Travelling Without Moving.jpg (132.7 KiB) Viewed 12174 times
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

008 Tardis.jpg
008 Tardis.jpg (464.74 KiB) Viewed 12167 times
I couldn't resist........ ;-]
Best regards

John
johnjm
Initiate
Initiate

Post by johnjm »

Bobby
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Bobby »

cycle transport-4.jpg
cycle transport-4.jpg (357.81 KiB) Viewed 12118 times
TerryA
Initiate
Initiate

Post by TerryA »

Yacht.jpg
Yacht.jpg (224.94 KiB) Viewed 12112 times
Waiting for the tide.......
mikeaspinall
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by mikeaspinall »

GHOST TRAIN - a Blackpool tram actually.]
Attachments
GHOST TRAIN.jpg
GHOST TRAIN.jpg (277.11 KiB) Viewed 12083 times
al c field
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by al c field »

Bus way
Full speed to Atherton.jpg
Full speed to Atherton.jpg (382.03 KiB) Viewed 12060 times
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

By Loch Ailort
Attachments
Loch-Ailort.jpg
Loch-Ailort.jpg (148.07 KiB) Viewed 12043 times
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
Phil Jones

Post by Phil Jones »

The-Train-Leaving-Whitby.jpg
The-Train-Leaving-Whitby.jpg (395.14 KiB) Viewed 12018 times
Gordon Armstrong
Chair
Chair

Post by Gordon Armstrong »

The Duke of Lancaster
duke of lancaster tonemapped 2.jpg
duke of lancaster tonemapped 2.jpg (340.16 KiB) Viewed 12009 times

The Duke is a retired ship which is on the North Wales coast near Mostyn. It was bought to develop as a tourist resort but it did not succeed and is now a canvas for graffiti artists.
"People say that nothing is impossible, but some times I can do nothing all day"

Gordon
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

20160916_106 800px.jpg
20160916_106 800px.jpg (283.72 KiB) Viewed 11993 times
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Tracey McGovern wrote: Closing date is: midnight Sunday 25th September.
Closed
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Sorry, I'll judge tomorrow night when I get home from work.

Tracey
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Thank you to everyone who entered this competition, I'm glad to see so many good images here, now for the judging.......

BydoR9 - Travelling without Moving
For me there is alot to like about this picture, apart from it being well seen, you can tell it's not just a grab shot but a well thought out image. From the placement of the lights on each side, to the ladies in discussion to the fast moving train in the background, even the white lines marking out the glass across the middle helps to hold this image together.

John - Tardis
This made me smile and I'm not surprised to see some thinking out of the box from John. I like the lighting in this, being back lit really enhances and adds drama to this image, if it wasn't so obvious about it being sat on cloth, you could almost image the lighting coming from a spaceship which helps to tell a story.

johnjm - Polperro Boats
This could also be classed as an abstract image. A tight crop on the boats bringing them together even more. Whilst technically good, I just wished the blue boat at the bottom and the brown boat top right hadn't been chopped off, but it's really hard knowing where to crop when you take a picture like this, I think having the whole of the blue boat in would have made it a stronger image.

Bobby - Cycle Transport
Again, similar to the boats, deciding what to keep in and what to take out can make or break the image. It's an interesting shot, seeing all those baskets and wicker object piled high onto one bike but the inclusion of the whole bike would have told the whole story, especially as the bike is the actual transport that this subject is based on. But I like the colours and I still find it an interesting image.

TerryA - Yacht
This is a nice clean image, cool colours with the blue sky and white boat which sits nicely in the frame. The ropes at the front making a triangle shape leading your eye nicely to the boat and the mast drawing you up into the image.

Mike Aspinall - Ghost Train
Obviously taken at Blackpool. I like the colours and the fact that the train is moving so a slowish shutter speed was used here, it's just a pity there wasn't a little more room in front of the train for it to move into, the crop is a bit on the tight side. I quite like the lit figure of the illuminations which looks like it is stood on top of the train, that made me smile.

al c field - Bus Way
The trees are nicely lit in this image, so you can see it was probably early evening when this was taken, always a good time of day to take pictures. The bus fits the bill of transportation, however the bus doesn't look very sharp whilst the posts at the front do, it looks like your focus point is on the wrong thing, a good effort though.

Paul - Loch Ailort
Another evening shot, almost sunset. But for the title, you could expect this image to be taken on some tropical beach somewhere, it has that nice tranquil feel to it, makes you want to actually be there enjoying the end of the day. An excellently composed image with good foreground interest in the boat, leading your eye nicely into the image and to the hills beyond the lake.

Phil Jones - The Train Leaving Whitby
You have done one of those clever shots making a real life object look like a toy, I have absolutely no idea how you do that. There is almost a danger of the train getting lost in the background which is quite busy, but I think you have just about pulled it off by having the background so out of focus making the train look almost 3D.

Gordon Armstrong - The Duke of Lancaster
Excellent detail in this shot, taken at a good angle, almost mono but for the blues popping out. It's obviously been HDR's which is great for the actual boat but I'm distracted by the haze between the two masts, which doesn't follow through to in front of the mast so looks a bit surreal. I think if you did this image again, by all means keep the boat HDR's but remove the HDR from the sky or at least toning it down a bit may improve it, but still a good shot.

Janice Freeman - Old Car
A nice clean image, very simple, nothing to distract you from the actual car, I like the red wheels which are the only bright objects against the muted tones of the rest of the image. I think the only thing that is distracting my eye away from the car is the pot hole in the tarmac at the bottom of the image, if this could be cloned out or toned down, I think it would strengthen the image slightly, but that's just me being niggly. It a good image.

Here are the scores on the doors......

3rd - Janice
2nd - Paul
1st - Andy

Well done every one, I enjoyed looking at your images, now over to you.... Andy :)