Competition #251. Still life

Enter our forum competitions here
Gordon Armstrong
Chair
Chair
Spam Protection: No

Competition #251. Still life

Post by Gordon Armstrong »

In recognition of the fact that I am starting my retirement with a message from the government to self isolate for 10 days, and to celebrate that there is still life to enjoy out there somewhere, I would like to see a still life arrangement taken in your own home.

I anticipate a small group of items, which may be themed or apparently random, arranged in an interesting composition. This is a nice project for a quiet afternoon which can work well with window lighting. It might even fit in with you plans to tidy a few cupboards.

Let’s see your domestic items, decorations or interesting collections (although points may be deducted for Dr Who memorabilia!).

Let’s have three weeks which amazingly takes us to Valentine’s Day, Feb 14th.

Good luck.
"People say that nothing is impossible, but some times I can do nothing all day"

Gordon
Sue
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Re: Competition #251. Still life

Post by Sue »

4 The Marmeluke Hunt.jpg
4 The Marmeluke Hunt.jpg (342.77 KiB) Viewed 5232 times
Best wishes

Sue
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

052 If you look after the pennies 1000px.jpg
052 If you look after the pennies 1000px.jpg (313.67 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
If you look after the pennies, the pounds will take care of themselves.....
Best regards

John
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair

Post by melbarnes »

Where's my guitar??
GUITAR KIT.jpg
GUITAR KIT.jpg (390.78 KiB) Viewed 5173 times
"Aim for the moon - if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."
Sue Shaw
Treasurer
Treasurer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by Sue Shaw »

Rock Paper Scissors
Attachments
RPS1-3 small.jpg
RPS1-3 small.jpg (406.76 KiB) Viewed 5162 times
Eddie
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Eddie »

_97A6373.jpg
Wine by glass
Gordon Armstrong
Chair
Chair

Post by Gordon Armstrong »

Thanks for your entries, quality over quantity!!!

Sue was the obvious leader for quite a long time (and then the other entries arrived!!). Witty, fun and lovely to look at; enough about me...... the photo is very good! I love the way the fish appears to be glancing over it's shoulder (do fish have shoulders??). A pedantic judging point; only Mooninpapa and Moonintroll went on the Mamaluke hunt so there are too many Moomins in this image.

John, it is very nice to see the ADAPS funds in all their glory. The patina on the old pennies is very nice - I can't see the current coinage lasting as well.

Mel, a guitar image without the guitar - nice idea. The pink plectrum stands out nicely but the rest is a little dark and random.

Sue. Well thought out still life giving us rock, paper, scissors. The music title is appropriate and the shape and texture of the crumpled paper front left echoes the lovely pink rocks. My only critical comment is the lack of separation between the two main rocks makes the scissors look embedded and therefore a bit odd (another idea - the Excalibur scissors with Rick Wakeman music as the background!).

Eddie, a classic still life which is the sort of thing that I had in mind when I set the subject and a great choice for a competition ended on 14th February. The candle light is very well handled on the wine label and in the glasses. The fallen glass hints at a story of passion (or drunken carelessness!). Not sure about the heavy fold in the background.

Purely on the basis of which image I enjoyed the most - my winner is Sue. Great image.

(PS, having played the pedantic card in relation to Moomins I will anticipate the responses - I do know that Excalibur isn't the same as the sword in the stone depending on the source!!)
"People say that nothing is impossible, but some times I can do nothing all day"

Gordon
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Sue says "The other Moomins didn't want to be left out.....thank you and I'll get back to this a little later when my computer is due back from being mended! :-)"
Best regards

John