Competition # 26 Country Cottages

Enter our forum competitions here
bazzasmeg
Photographer
Photographer

Competition # 26 Country Cottages

Post by bazzasmeg »

I cannot believe I have done it again especially with there being so many great pictures to choose from! After much thought, the topic I have chosen this time is the humble Country Cottage. The usual 2 weeks will take us to Sunday December 6th.

Good luck…..

Barry
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Competition # 26 Country Cottages

Post by John »

Here's one, not exactly ready for occupation...located above Rowen in North Wales. Pentax MX/SMC Pentax-M 100mm f2.8/Acupan 200 developed in FX39.
Attachments
038-Country-Cottage.jpg
038-Country-Cottage.jpg (194.18 KiB) Viewed 8360 times
Best regards

John
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Hi
Here is my effort. This was taken down near Rochester during the summer.
Country-Cottage.jpg
Country-Cottage.jpg (98.14 KiB) Viewed 8269 times
Best Wishes
Tracey
keith richardson
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by keith richardson »

The Blacksmiths Cottage.

Hi,
Went to Broughton in Cambridgeshire a couple of months ago to collect my new drum kit, finding this to photograph while I was there was a bonus.

blacksmiths cottage.jpg
blacksmiths cottage.jpg (135.59 KiB) Viewed 8251 times
Regards,
Keith.
Andrew Shepherd
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Andrew Shepherd »

Here's my entry "Room with a view"...

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Andrew Shepherd
http://www.redshank.net
Myra
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Myra »

Cottage in the Lake District

Des

Post by Des »

Cheers Des
bazzasmeg
Photographer
Photographer

Post by bazzasmeg »

The time has come again where the judging begins…

John, not exactly the ideal country cottage but defiantly an idea photo opportunity. I think the B&W image helps the buildings stand out from the background and the clouds really stand out.

Tracey, the angle you have taken this picture from has ensured that you have managed to get detail in the shadows and still kept colour in the sky. I like the reflections in the slightly open window as well.

Keith, I like the way you have centred the cottage, it leaves plenty of room for the interesting sky and still allows plenty of foreground interest. The enhancement gives the whole picture a dramatic look.

Redshanksnapper, This is defiantly a room with a view! You have managed to get the balance between water and land just right. The cottage stands out well against the green background and the reflections add to the image.

Myra, This is a well composed shot, the colours are well balanced and the mountain range behind has been hidden well with the house & tree.

Des, The red doors and the white buildings stand out well against the autumn colours of the wood land behind and in the foreground.

Paul, The machinery in the foreground helps to give the picture depth of field and the colours in the grass really stand out against the pure white building.

My choice is as follows,

3rd place, Tracey, there is detail in the shadows and the sky is not blown out as a result.

2nd place, Myra, the colours all blend nicely together and the cottage looks really welcoming.

1st place, Keith, the way the cottage has been balanced to show all the detail in the sky and the foreground really makes the picture. The HDR enhancement improves the already perfect shot.

Well done to all those that entered. Best regards, Barry
:-d
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

A great choice of winner i think. Well done Keith and thanks to Barry for the competition subject and the judging.

What will it be next Keith?
Best regards

John
keith richardson
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by keith richardson »

Hi,
Thank you very much, Barry.

I am sure that some of you will no doubt be expecting me to go straight in for the obvious and set a competition for HDR to see how well you are using the Photomatix program and how well you took in my talk earlier this year. 8)
But I will resist the temptation (for now), mainly because I think it would be unfair to anyone who didn't buy the program and for any newcomers.
But you can use use it anyway as it could be helpful if used correctly for this competition which is ...

MY CAR.

By that i dont want you all following my little Astra down the street everytime I park up, I mean your own car, or van or bus or tank, whatever you drive.
You can just pick out a detail of the car, a landscape with it in, whizzing across the desert at full stretch or even with you sprawled unclad across the bonnet, the choice is entirely yours.
Closing date will be midnight on Monday December 22.

Good luck and merry christmas.

Keith.