Competition #31: Good Lighting

Enter our forum competitions here
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Competition #31: Good Lighting

Post by Paul Jones »

Photography as an art form is dependent upon light.

Very often the lighting can make the difference between a mediocre image and a stunning image. Take a landscape shot on a dull day and the image won't have half the appeal and impact than had it been taken when the lighting was much kinder, eg in the 'golden hours'.

For this competition I want you all to think about light and, for those new to photography, to try to appreciate why some images have 'Wow factor' and some don't - a lot of it will be down to the lighting, and often (particularly in portraits) the interplay between lighting and shadow.

So, the brief is simple - post ONE image that you think shows a good use of light.

This can include natural light; studio lighting; fill-in flash; one light or several lights.
This can cover any subject matter, eg landscapes; natural history; still-life; studio portrait; window-lit portrait; nudes, etc...
The image may be colour or mono.

The closing date for entries is midnight on Sunday 1st March.
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
keith richardson
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: Competition #31: Good Lighting

Post by keith richardson »

Ferrybridge Power Station
Purely by coincidence I took this yesterday afternoon.
ferrybridge 02.jpg
ferrybridge 02.jpg (159.34 KiB) Viewed 10017 times
regards, keith.
Last edited by keith richardson on Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Bold
Photographer
Photographer

Post by Lee Bold »

Heres me today in the sunshine coming through the window, working hardish
Lee
bazzasmeg
Photographer
Photographer

Post by bazzasmeg »

I think the sunshine lighting the windows really helps this image of York's Chapterhouse
Andy Milne
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Andy Milne »

I would love this image to be considered as an entry for good use of lighting... just one main studio light fitted with softbox.

Andy
Andy Milne
http://www.onemodelplace.com/photograph ... P_ID=78364

"if you don't ask .... you don't get .... so ask."
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Although the lighting was poor it plays an important part in the image, hope it will satisfy the category.
Attachments
Gemma
Gemma
Gemma.jpg (104.03 KiB) Viewed 9851 times
Andrew Shepherd
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Andrew Shepherd »

Here's my effort:-

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Andrew Shepherd
http://www.redshank.net
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Just a reminder that competition threads are for the images only. Please avoid commenting as this could influence the judge.
Best regards

John
Myra
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Myra »

Myra`s image

Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Post by Paul Jones »

Thanks to everyone for taking part. It was interesting seeing how different people had taken to the theme.

Here goes with the comments. I hope you don't think I'm being too critical...

KEITH
I'm a big fan of Keith's photography. Many of his HDR images are visually stunning and he's very deservedly won many competitions.
Having said that, I have to say that this image doesn't really inspire me the way some of your other shots do (sorry!) I can see why you entered it - the small band of light across the chimneys, but, for me, it needs a bit more. I think the overall image is let down by the dark foreground and the dull sky.

LEE
It's an interesting self-portrait and very apt for your wood-turning hobby.
Like Keith's shot though, I would have liked to see a 'richer' light illuminating the main parts of the photos, eg your face and your hands at work. The wood shavings at the edge of the image are the brightest things in the photo.

BAZZASMEG
This is an interesting and nicely balanced composition.
I like the golden light at the top of the building. Would it have been possible to get more detail and colours in the stained glass windows? I've not been there and tried it, so don't know.

ANDY
I know how this was lit as Andy has said that it was a single softbox. You can see from the direction of the shadows where the light was placed to give the illusion perhaps of an open door shining light through.
The lighting is very subtle, with just enough to show her face and upper body and yet to hide anything else.

TRACEY
Another interesting idea - candle-light. Does it work? Yes, I think so - there's enough light to see what we need to see. Perhaps dragging the shutter open for slightly longer would have picked out more of the detail on the table and the model, but it's a fine balancing act between the lighting and wanting the model to be sharp.

LEN
I like the colours on this and the composition is very nice, but like a couple of the other entries I just wanted the lighting to have a bit more impact. Perhaps if the same shot was taken on a better day....?

ANDREW
I'm enjoying observing Andrew's progress - he's obviously keen to learn and enjoying what he does.
I like the way you've thought about the directional lighting. Though this means that the base of the mushroom house is in shadow. If that's how you intended it to be, that's fine. Or perhaps, like photographing a real mushroom out in the wild, some of the light could have been reflected back underneath?
The exposure at the top of the mushroom is a little hot. If it's shot in RAW you might want to back this off a touch.
Overall, a nice effort.

MYRA
In my original message I mentioned landscapes and the golden hours, and this is just such an example. The natural golden sunlight helps to bring out warm tones throughout the image.
Perhaps the image could have had a more interesting focal point, but the lighting and colours are very nicely done.

I found it hard choosing the winners, but based on the interpretation of lighting the results are:

3rd place: Andrew Shepherd
2nd place: Andy Milne
Winner: Myra Barr

I now invite Myra to choose a theme for the next competition and to post a new message.

Best regards

Paul
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
Myra
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Myra »

Thank`s Paul,
I will start another competition shortly.

Best wishes Mmra
Andy Milne
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Andy Milne »

Congrats Myra.... I look forward to entering the next comp....

Andy M
Andy Milne
http://www.onemodelplace.com/photograph ... P_ID=78364

"if you don't ask .... you don't get .... so ask."