Competition #34 - Our Local Heritage

Enter our forum competitions here
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Competition #34 - Our Local Heritage

Post by John »

OK, after what we talked about tonight here's your chance to show us something of your local heritage that makes a great image.

It should be from your local area (not only Atherton) and can be anything from the obvious choice of listed buildings to a distinctive local feature. If you lived in Cheddar it could be a block of cheese! So the brief will be as wide as possible, and hopefully it will be a great photograph as well.

Deadline is Midnight on Thursday 16th April.
Best regards

John
Walter Brooks
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Re: Competition #34 - Our Local Heritage

Post by Walter Brooks »

Formerly part of Brooksbottoms Mill, Summerseat. It is four storeys high with the three upper floors lit by windows topped with decorative architraves which are different on each storey. Now it is The Spinnings, a block of apartments.

Walter
“The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.”
― Dorothea Lange
bazzasmeg
Photographer
Photographer

Post by bazzasmeg »

Miller Arcade, Preston
Tom Gerrard

Post by Tom Gerrard »

The once grand and ornate entrance to Swan Lane No 3 Mill now a heritage site in Bolton.
The once grand and ornate entrance to Swan Lane No 3 Mill now a heritage site in Bolton.
Swan Lane Mill.jpg (243.73 KiB) Viewed 8090 times
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

We've had a few entries, but to give everyone a bit of time I'm extending the deadline to midnight on Sunday 19th April, just a couple more days to get out there and find something interesting.

Judging will be shortly after midnight on Monday morning.
Best regards

John
TerryMooney

Post by TerryMooney »

John - I could'nt make my mind up on wether to post this or not. But as you have extended the closing date ....................

This is Local Heritage both Old and New.
Attachments
IMG_0490-ADAPS.jpg
IMG_0490-ADAPS.jpg (212.43 KiB) Viewed 8049 times
sunsworth
Photographer
Photographer

Post by sunsworth »

How local is local? Feel free to disregard this if Bacup is too far away.

Bacup coconutters on Easter Saturday...

Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

My efforts, taken this afternoon.... St.Peters Church, Hindley.
St.Peters church, Hindley
St.Peters church, Hindley
St.Peters-Church.jpg (105.56 KiB) Viewed 7975 times
Best Wishes
Tracey
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Many thanks to all the entrants - it was getting a bit lonely in this thread for a while! I've had a long look at the images and I like them all in their very different ways.

Walter: An excellent formal composition that complements the formal structure of the building. This one shows real precision and attention to detail. I'm never sure that I like these renovations much as they tend to destroy the attractive mouldering of old buildings, but that's just me being fond of decay!

Len: A nice idea to include the explanatory board with the image of the building. I don't think the lighting was the best, but then what we find when we arrive at a place is what we're stuck with and you've handled the conditions well.

bazzasmeg: Good control of exposure here and again an appropriate formal composition. This is an elegant image of an elegant structure.

Tom: I'm not a great fan of unrealistic manipulations, which some might find odd considering that I tend to play with Photoshop when the mood strikes, but in this case I rather like the effect. The composition is great and the colours are brilliant. Certainly not a "record shot" by any stretch of the imagination. I get the feeling that you've enjoyed creating this and it has a good feeling about it.

Terry: A nice bit of lateral thinking - a bit of good old English tradition that is fading into obscurity a little more every year that passes. It just makes me fancy a steak and kidney pudding, chips and peas, pity it's a bit late for that.

sunsworth: Yes, Bacup is local enough, and I guess for you Steve local could actually mean pretty much anywhere in Europe....heritage can include people and customs, so well recognised as a point of view. Good black and white image, although I wonder if the composition could be simpler to avoid too much detail and confusion in the frame as a whole.

Tracey: Nice exposure and colour. The biggest problem with churches is getting it all in and finding a viewpoint that avoids converging verticals. This is often just about impossible. Here you have managed to capture the essence of the building, not an easy picture to attempt.

OK, so after some thought I have decided that my winner will be Tom Gerrard - as I said, I don't normally go for this sort of thing but this one is the right subject and the right composition and the overall effect is very satisfying. Over the top maybe, but not excessively so and it does bring a new slant to this old building. In a way the concept of new uses for old structures and as here new interpretations of old structures works well. So well done Tom!

Second place goes to Walter Brookes and third place goes to bazzasmeg!

Tom, please set a new competition for a deadline in about two weeks.
Best regards

John
Mike
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Post by Mike »

John wrote:So well done Tom!
Seconded, a very striking image that is seems very unreal!
--------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk