Memories.....

All things relating to Film Photography
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Memories.....

Post by John »

My darkroom has long been decommissioned, but the memories remain.

The first dakroom was the loft in our first house, on Coniston Street in Leigh. I laid the flooring, made a bench and had to carry water up there in a bucket. Thursday nights (pre-ADAPS membership!) I would be up there with my red light, listening to the crowds at Leigh Rugby Club, which at that height reached my ears unfiltered by buildings.

The second darkroom was the garage in our current house. Now I had a cold tap and a power point for a kettle, so darkroom life was luxury, sheer luxury. I wonder what the neighbours thought I was doing disappearing for hours into the garage and pulling down the garage door.

Then we had the garage converted into a room, in fact two rooms with a utility one at the back. Well, I say utility but I mean darkroom of course. For a while the front part was a bedroom, then a second lounge area and finally the IT department. So here we are now, the darkroom has gone but remains a storage area, the front part is the lightroom and all the imaging is done in the light.

How about some more Tales of the Darkroom? What was your path from red light to daylight?
Best regards

John
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair
Spam Protection: No

Re: Memories.....

Post by melbarnes »

I've always been in the dark, John..... :D
"Aim for the moon - if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."
mikeaspinall
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by mikeaspinall »

Hi

Was introduced to a darkroom by my best friend of 30 plus years who is no longer with us. He had a cupboard in the kitchen of his parent's house which
he used for the purpose so had hot and cold water. Just enough room for two people and the one to make magic.
When I eventually managed to get the gear etc. my darkroom was the bathroom with the enlarger sat on the toilet seat, dishes in the bath with a
curtain over the door and a towel on the floor behind it. The boys had to hold their water (literally) until I covered any paper up.
Eventually moved to a bigger house and commandeered a bedroom as my darkroom.
Have said many times that no Photoshop can replace the sheer delight of seeing an image coming up in the develop dish and knowing that it was all your own work. Good times before brain power was replaced by electronics.
My mistake was joining the then snobbish (not all members) at Bolton Camera Club. A long way away from ADAPS.
Stu B
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by Stu B »

My first interest in photography was a film camera. (Pentax ME super.) Still got it.. But it must be 35 years since it had a film in it..lol But as any of you that know me, know. I'm an impatient rascal at the best of times. So for me the 3-4 week turn around, at that time from the developing houses. Just wasn't on. And they always cropped them wrong. didn't they...lol
So at that time. I was still serving my apprenticeship and living at home with my parents in Tyldesley. In a council house in Shackerley. But the houses there had 2 indoor sheds for some reason.? So one day. After saving a little cash. i decided to comandere the larger one of them and have a go at this developing lark ! At that time, I decided I was only going to attempt B&W images. Because colour equipment was far too expensive for me. I probably wouldn't ever have the skill. And at that time Central heating hadnt arrived with the general public and it was bloody freezing at times.

So I purchased the cheapest equipment. a Zenith enlarger a Patterson developing tank. 3 developing tray's... Oh and the Orange lamp. Let's not forget that. And off I started.. First of all, get a roll of film with images that have no importance. Because your obviously going to cock it right up... And follow the instructions on the packet..!!
Have to agree with Micheal.. "There is nothing that can describe the emotion, Of your image starting to appear on the paper." And thinking "I've done that...lol"

But there for me the emotion ends.. Shortly after that. I got married. Moved to Atherton. My wife wouldn't have that chemical smell in the household... Cant say I blame her. They stink..lol And if you didnt keep using them. Just like milk they went off..

So I'm sorry you film buffs... Other than seeing the picture come to life... Please dont tell me that film in any way compares to the modern digital offerings. Becuause it just simply just doesn't..!!
Regards

Stuart....