Which 70-300mm lens should I buy (Nikon mount)

A place for discussions not specifically catered for elsewhere
BydoR9
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Which 70-300mm lens should I buy (Nikon mount)

Post by BydoR9 »

I'm very much set on upgrading my 55-200 VR as soon as I've got the money. The main reasons are for the faster focusing and longer focal length, not to mention full-time manual focus override and better build/handling as a bonus.

I'm torn between the Nikon 70-300 VR (approx £430) and the Tamron SP 70-300 VC USD (approx £320 with 5 year guarantee). I've read review after review on these lenses and the general consensus is that the Tamron has the edge (only slightly though). I have tried both lenses, but not at the same time and not for much longer than about 10 minutes each. I do like them both more or less equally so far though and although price is a factor, I won't let it get in the way of choosing the right one.

I would, at this stage, be very grateful for anyone's advice/opinion on which one I should go for, preferably from someone who has owned or had experience with either of them.

I'll point-out that I'm not looking at any prime or pro-spec lenses as an option due to their price at this time.

Thanks.
Andy Butler.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Which 70-300mm lens should I buy (Nikon mount)

Post by John »

As a general principle I would always go for the Nikon lens. In terms of compatibility and future compatibility it may prove to be better, the quality of manufacture might be better and therefore after some time it might retain its quality better. Moderna lenses are highly complex and the accuracy and durability of assembly are as much factors as the quality of optical design.

In terms of reviews, don't forget that different reviewers may end up with slightly different results because of variation in testing technique and also variation in samples of the lenses. Reviews are guides only, not scientific assessments with several samples of a lens.

Just to explain the "future compatibility" point, this particularly applies to Sigma lenses as these are reverse engineered. The consequence is that they may not work fully with future camera bodies and may have to be re-chipped or even discarded at some time in the future. This may not be the case with Tamron lenses per se but Nikon will make no guarantees about any except Nikon lenses.
Best regards

John
mikeaspinall
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by mikeaspinall »

I have to agree with John but there is another thing to consider too. The Nikon lens will hold it's value
more than the Tamron if, in the event, that you move over to another system or upgrade for another lens
for the Nikon.
If I had the money I would always go for the manufacturer's lenses.
Maybe if you can 'shop around' for better price on the Nikkor it would make your choice easier.
Whichever way you go - enjoy.
PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by PhilipHowe »

I agree regarding brand consistency. I'm a canon user and use Canon lenses. It doesn't mean they are the best, as it's personal preference.

Your old lens is going for about £120 on ebay. I, personally, would look at Real Camera in Manchester or LCE (London Camera Exchange) in Piccadilly and look to get a second hand one, if that's the lens you have you heart set on.

My 2p is that I, personally, have wasted money on getting lenses that are a slight improvement on my previous lens. This meant buying L series lenses for my Canon took longer and cost me more. However, I have only ever bought one lens as new. There are plenty of second hand lenses available, but try them out first. The two shops I have mentioned will let you do this.

My overall advice is don't buy either, keep saving, even if it takes a year or so, buy the best lens and never have to make this decision again. Even then, there are plenty of second hand top end lenses available.
http://philiphowe.co.uk
http://facebook.com/PhilipHowe

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
Free Dropbox account link! http://db.tt/XvrZgQ68
bert haddock
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by bert haddock »

I have the Nikon 70-300 VR lens, I use it for wildlife and sport images, I find it to be a superb lens, if you look at the images section on the forum my images taken at the BSB supabike meeting at Oulton Park where all taken with this lens as where a lot of my images on Ephotozine,
Bert.
BydoR9
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by BydoR9 »

Thank you all for your good advice. I'm even more torn than ever now though! :-d

Was semi-set on the Tamron, but seeing as Bert uses the Nikon I'm having a re-think.

Decision, decisions...
BydoR9
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by BydoR9 »

Back to square one! :(

I bought a second-hand Nikon 70-300 from LCE in Manchester for £300 (really great shop! :-]), but unfortunately the VR only worked intermittently! So I had to go all the way back to Manc to get my money back. On the bright side though, I got to test the lens out - now thinking I'll get the Tamron new for £300 instead.
joant

Post by joant »

have you looked on the jessop on-line, they are selling Tamron 70-300mm F4/5.6 DI LD Macro (Nikon AF) for £129.00.
BydoR9
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by BydoR9 »

Thank you for the heads-up, but it's specifically the SP VC USD version that I'm looking at which costs around £300.