light tent

A place for discussions not specifically catered for elsewhere
Gordon Armstrong
Chair
Chair
Spam Protection: No

light tent

Post by Gordon Armstrong »

Hi, this is my first post on the forum so here goes!

I have been looking at some small light tents with a view to doing some record photographs of craft items including jewellery made by my wife and son and some small wood pieces. They are cubes of white material in the region of 40x40 or 50x50 cm and include a background and a pair of lights on small stands. There are a few on Amazon which are marketed to improve pictures for ebayers.

They are cheap enough to take a punt, but also cheap enough to make me wonder whether the lights are adequate. I have a tripod so the camera support, which looks flimsy, isn't an issue and my wife has yards of material so it is the lighting which is interesting. The lights are generally described as GU10C daylight effect ????. My flash has off camera capability so I could use that or use it to augment this setup.

Does any one have any thoughts as to whether this would be of any use for experimenting or a waste of time and money?

Any advice welcomed.

Gordon.
"People say that nothing is impossible, but some times I can do nothing all day"

Gordon
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Re: light tent

Post by Paul Jones »

Hi Gordon and welcome to the forum.

I'm guessing that you're referring to a kit like this one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0064MRG64/?tag=paujon-21

I don't have any particular opinion on these lights and don't take Ebay shots.

Maybe one our Ebayers can 'shine some light' on this?
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: light tent

Post by John »

I have a similar tent that we bought at Aldi some years ago for £7.99 and it's the same one marketed by some at £49.99 and more....this one from Amazon looks the same and with the lights not too bad a price.

For small items it can be useful, but to be honest I just use a table top and a large window plus reflector and that's all that eBay images need.

As you say, it's worth a punt at that price.
Best regards

John