Paul Booth & Antoinette Brierley

A place for Syllabus Updates and Comments
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair
Spam Protection: No

Paul Booth & Antoinette Brierley

Post by melbarnes »

Well, we certainly weren't disappointed with Paul Booth (Millwood Studio owner) and Antoinette Brierley (model) tonight - what a great presentation, and enjoyed thoroughly by all, according to the comments I received from the members. The presentation was informative, educational, and amusing, with Paul interlacing it with anecdotes, which made for a good ADAPS evening - one of the outstanding evenings in my opinion. Our Chairman has suggested that we hire the studio out for a full Sunday, with a professional model in the morning and a different one in the afternoon. So I'll be canvassing members to see who is interested, then organising it far enough ahead to ensure an good attendance.
"Aim for the moon - if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Paul Booth & Antoinette Brierley

Post by John »

Excellent evening, well enjoyed by everyone I'm sure. 5S
Best regards

John
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

John wrote:Excellent evening, well enjoyed by everyone I'm sure. 5S

I am a big fan of Millwood Studio and have become friends with Paul and Jamie. In that respect, I found the evening enjoyable. Millwood is by far one of the best studios I have ever used.

However, my enjoyment was severely marred by a barrage of crass, crude and cretinous comments from one member on the front row. I had to bite my tongue and refrain from telling him to shut up as I didn't want to spoil the evening.

I'm no prude. I photograph glamour and nude models regularly. The comments were totally unacceptable towards any model, lady and guest of ADAPS, as well as the ladies and visitors in the audience.

It's a real shame that some people can't discuss the subject of nude / glamour photography without schoolboy sniggering and childish comments. This is exactly the bahaviour that Antoinette was saying puts models off photographers.

After 18 years' membership of ADAPS, I actually left the club tonight feeling a bit embarrassed for the club.

Am I over-reacting? Or does anyone agree?

(JOHN - feel free to move this to Members Only if you want to keep it private)
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

It's been dealt with Paul. I had a quiet word after the meeting.
Best regards

John
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

I have been asked to convey his apologies to anyone he offended.
Best regards

John
Gordon Armstrong
Chair
Chair

Post by Gordon Armstrong »

I got a lot out of last nights meeting and the set up at Millwood looks impressive. Antoinette was articulate and intelligent and gave us a different view point. I do however share Paul's concerns and I felt that there was great discourtesy to a guest of the club from around the room and criticism should not be directed towards one individual. It could be argued that Paul Booth did play up to the banter but even the Q&A session was focussed on poor behavior. We must remember that we are a mixed club and the snug bar attitudes of the 70's are no longer acceptable. Senior club members need to set the tone and some of the introductory remarks about next weekends male modelling session were out of order (we have had the Jordan joke three weeks on the run and it wasn't funny the first time).

We had two potential new members in the room last night who may well have been driven away and I think that is sad.

I was brought up in a household where these attitudes were the norm but I have been taught a lot by my three sons.
"People say that nothing is impossible, but some times I can do nothing all day"

Gordon
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Thanks for the comments Gordon.

It is not an easy world we live in these days and although we try to keep the tone good natured and equitable there are a lot of different points of view to satisfy and treading a centre path is sometimes very tricky.

All the thoughts expressed are taken on board, whilst at the same time trying to make sure we don't just tackle bland subject matter, we do have to be very mindful of possible offence. It was tangible that last night some were indeed offended, more at the reactions rather than anything Paul and Antoinette said, which was all absolutely fine.

Listen, learn and move onwards I think?
Best regards

John
danny
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by danny »

Hi I am in agreement with Paul .I my self apologised to two new lady member on behalf of the club for the school boyish smuty remarks made during the presentation.i just hope that these type of comments are never heard again :??
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair

Post by melbarnes »

I have to agree with Paul - we like banter in ADAPS, but there is a difference between banter and smut.
"Aim for the moon - if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Thanks everyone. :D
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."