To RAF or not RAF

A place for discussions not specifically catered for elsewhere
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

To RAF or not RAF

Post by John »

That is the question....very curiously last night's talk turned out not to be quite 50 Years in the RAF, although I was pleased to see that there was some RAF content that indicated how that part of it had come to be mentioned!

Nonetheless I thought it was very interesting and perhaps we should have a series of Randon Talk evenings where we get in speakers and just take pot luck on whatever they want to talk about! :lol:

Seriously though I enjoyed it (between coughing fits, sorry about that) and it prompts me to suggest that we could have a day out to one of the RAF museums in the summer. How about the Mosquito Museum north of London. Or any other ideas?
Best regards

John
TerryMooney

Re: To RAF or not RAF

Post by TerryMooney »

John - You can start nearer to home by visiting the Air and Space Hall at the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry - where you can learn to overcome the snags of photographing in the restrictions of an indoor museum.

Then there is the public Aviation Viewing Park at Ringway Airport which includes various static planes including Concorde and some RAF planes and what most people go there for is watch and photograph the take-off of departures and the taxiing of arrivals.

We had a lecture from Gordon G.Bartley which included this and he supplied a very comprehensive pamphlet on several other vantage points around the airport and how-to-get-there.

TerryMooney
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Thanks for the suggestions - unfortunately we've seen all these fairly recently. It looks to me as though we'll have to stray a bit further afield to see something new.
Best regards

John
Cookie
Photographer
Photographer

Post by Cookie »

When he was showing the shots from up top of a firemans ladder, I thought of the fire station, I think training place down atherleigh way by Pennington Flash. Maybe we girls could get up the ladders with some firemen!!!! Oh for photos of course.

Glenys
bert haddock
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by bert haddock »

John,
Regarding visiting the mosquito museum, I am on anti malaria tablets for another 3 weeks should I keep a supply of tablets or don't these mosquitos bite :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bert.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

They growl and they sting, Bert.... :lol:
Best regards

John
Alan Duckworth
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Alan Duckworth »

The club has already been to the Air & Space Hall at Manchester. We went in the evening, I think it was Tuesday, which was volunteers night. The Curator is Nick Forder. I think he is still in residence as I saw him on tele not long ago. A better bet than London for a day trip is the R.A.F. Museum at R.A.F. Cosford, near to Wolverhampton, about two hours tops, by road,
and it's free to enter. I intend going ,again, shortly. You can spend a whole day there, especially if you are taking photos. There is also the 'bus museum in Queens Road, Manchester. We went there in the evening, and the visit included a ride on a vintage 'bus. It would have to be May, June July, because of the light coming through the roof lights.(windows)
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Thanks, Alan, we'll do these things things summer hopefully.
Best regards

John
Cookie
Photographer
Photographer

Post by Cookie »

Has anyone been to Cosford Aerospace Museum, Just off the M54 near Telford. http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/cosford There seem to be a lot of planes there about 70 according to the website and it is FREE to go in. They have an airshow June 14th but you will have to pay for that one.
Andrew Shepherd
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Andrew Shepherd »

Hi everyone - been away over Easter (Northumberland) and just got back and catching up on the forum.

I read this thread with interest and looking forward to any club events on this. Being reasonably new to the club I haven't visited any of these venues (and others may have missed them too), so it would be a shame if we rule them out. (At least, however, it gives me a few ideas of where to shoot on those cloudy days!)

John - presumably, whichever outings are arranged, any events will be listed in the syllabus section on the web?

Also, Alan mentioned visiting the Air & Space Hall in Manchester on a Tuesday evening on "volunteers night" - what's this and am I missing something?!

Cheers

Andrew
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Andrew Shepherd
http://www.redshank.net
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Nothing is arranged yet, but it won't be kept a secret when it is!
Best regards

John