Starting Out

A place for discussions not specifically catered for elsewhere
Stu B
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Starting Out

Post by Stu B »

I have just bought my first DSLR...It comes with 18-55mm and 50-200mm lenses. What other equipment and accessories Could you advise or recommend, to set me on the road to perform the fantastic photographs you show in your group ?
Regards

Stuart....
sunsworth
Photographer
Photographer

Re: Starting Out

Post by sunsworth »

You have all you need. Get to know what you already have before thinking about buying anything else.

After saying that, if the lenses came without lens hoods, consider buying the approriate hoods.
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Post by Paul Jones »

Stu B wrote:I have just bought my first DSLR...It comes with 18-55mm and 50-200mm lenses. What other equipment and accessories Could you advise or recommend, to set me on the road to perform the fantastic photographs you show in your group ?
You have the gear...
Now go out and take photographs.
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Join up with some of us on days out, studio sessions, etc. Shoot lots of images, and share them with us for advice and pointers. Go out and about everywhere you can and see what's out there to be photographed. Maybe visit events, museums, join English Heritage and/or National Trust....and have fun!

Taking shots costs nothing with digital, once you've bought the equipment!
Best regards

John
pammie
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by pammie »

Hi Stu

I am still using the digital camera I bought 4/5 years ago, with one lens only (18-55). It is the person behind the camera that makes the photgraphs not the camera. As John says, come out on trips with us or with other friends, and just see what you can find to make images.

Happy shooting!
Stu B
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Stu B »

Thanks for the kind replies folks... Maybe I didnt quite word my question correctly. I was thinking more along the idea of accesories, than more equipment. Filters, etc. So the comment of lens hoods was very apt. As i dont have them. Or are these actions now performed in Photoshop ? I have made a couple of appearances recently at your meetings. I think your comments of joining in on the trips. Will be a wise one.. "See ow tother Arf, do it."
Regards

Stuart....
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Most colour adjustment is now done in Photoshop. The exceptions are polarisers, also ND filters. Graduated grery filters for landscape work may still have a place as well.

The lenshood is indeed an essential accessory.
Best regards

John
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Post by Paul Jones »

Stu B wrote: Maybe I didnt quite word my question correctly. I was thinking more along the idea of accesories, than more equipment. Filters, etc.
Accessories can depend upon the type of photography that you aspire to.
What interests you the most, eg landscapes, portraits, still-life, studio work, etc...?

If you're just starting out, I'd personally repeat my comments above.
Go out and just practice taking photos so that you can master the basics such as exposure and composition.
Don't be afraid to learn by your mistakes.
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
Stu B
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Stu B »

Mistakes !!! What makes you think I will be making any of those...HaHa Thanks for your comments ..Really appreciated. I'm sure i'l be back with more questions than answers..
Regards

Stuart....
TerryMooney

Post by TerryMooney »

Hi Stu - A 'must have' for each of your lens is a Ultra Violet (UV) filter - Cuts down on haze but even more important they are an excellent protection for the front element of your lens which can easily get damaged and/or scratched. They do'nt affect the exposure and are much cheaper to replace than having to purchase a new lens. :??

Terry
Gill Blower
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Gill Blower »

Hi

I would recommend a good sturdy tripod. I would also agree with previous comments. I joined the group 2 years ago and the best thing is to go out and practice especially with the outings as everyone shares their knowledge and there is always someone to ask for advice. Remember its all about having fun!
bert haddock
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by bert haddock »

Hi Stu,
All the above comments are good advice, use the equipment you have and take lots of photos, don't be tempted to think you have to have the latest all singing and dancing gear, I have a 6 year old and a 5 year old camera bodies, one of the Lenses I use a lot is 25 years old, not the latest gear but it does everything Iwant and still sells images.
Regards,
Bert.