michael :-d
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Re: New camera

Post by yachtsman1 »

Hi Michael
Shutter life differs from manufacturer to manufacturer, I believe a minimum of 5000 clicks can be expected from Nikon. So if you are looking at something 12 months old with 2500 clicks I would say that has had some hard use, whereas a 3 year old camera with the same 2500 clicks has had an easier life. You need to see it really to judge. If you can, take someone experienced with you. Personally I have never bought a second hand camera or lens. Just look with this thought in mind, if it looks like a good deal, it probably isn't. If you are still undecided, check out Amazon, their feedback system is usually a good indication of what users as opposed to reviewers say about a product.
Regards Eric
John Harwood
Initiate
Initiate

Post by John Harwood »

Michael
I have had a quick peek on preloved and tHere are lots of cameras in your price range.

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/list/ ... yword=dslr

As Michael said, you have to be very careful buying on line so if It were me I would look for ones that are local to you and go and look at them in the flesh. I think It is very important to actually hold a camera in your hands before you buy it to see if you like how it handles.

If you find a camera that you want to go and look just ask and I have no doubt that you will be overwhelmed with useful advice.

Good hunting & enjoy your homework.
John
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

collier15 wrote: ... i know the lower the better for a shutter count is better but eric mentioned major renovation about what the shutter number be around before that would be needed just so i have an idea when i'm looking...
http://improvephotography.com/935/how-l ... tter-last/

yachtsman1 wrote: ...if you are looking at something 12 months old with 2500 clicks I would say that has had some hard use...
Personally, I wouldn't call taking 2500 photos in a year 'hard use'. ;-]
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
John Harwood
Initiate
Initiate

Post by John Harwood »

It works out at less than 7 a day for a year.

Nikon quote a MTBF of 150,000 clicks for a D300.
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

John
John wrote:You could also check out the used section on www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk - Chris and his team are very helpful and efficient.
Did you mention in the past that members get a discount if they mention the club or did I dream it :?

Yes, I do have weird dreams sometimes, but we won't go there...!!!! :lol:

Just for the record Michael, I think you are best going for the second hand DSLR rather than settling for a bridge camera. Phil's advice was spot on about investing in good lenses over bodies. Good luck with your purchases, I hope you find something you like soon.

Best Wishes

Tracey
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Members get free shipping Tracey, but you might have to remind them as it could be they now get few orders mentioning ADAPS. Like everything, there's a flurry of activity at first.
Best regards

John
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Tracey McGovern wrote: http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk
Did you mention in the past that members get a discount if they mention the club or did I dream it :?
Link - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=519
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
collier15

Post by collier15 »

Hello all,
just a quick update on the new camera been looking online at lots of reviews but not had much time due to work to get my hands on any but managed on Saturday to get to the camera centre in chorley thanks to mike aspinall they were very helpfull showing quite a few camera's the 2 that were standing out for me were the sony a200 and also the nikon d3000 just off to do some homework on those.
It may be the last outing for the panasonic on the lincoln trip

Thanks

Michael :-d
collier15

Post by collier15 »

hi all just another quick and final update firstly thank you for all your advice and info from here on the forums and on Thursday nights at the meetings. I have bought a new Nikon d5100 with a kit lens at the moment but will be buying other lenses soon.

Thanks again

Michael :-d :-d