I used some film!

All things relating to Film Photography
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

I used some film!

Post by John »

Yes I did indeed. The last frames for Images of England are being done, and of course it is being shot on film. Kodak Supra Gold 400 Professional.

So you press the shutter, but.....there's nothing to indicate success. No quick flash of the image on the rear screen. No playback.

How incredibly unsatisfying...

:?
Best regards

John
sunsworth
Photographer
Photographer

Post by sunsworth »

Does the fact that McDonalds serve the food quickly make it better than a 'real' restaurant where you have to wait? <grin>
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

McDonalds serve the food quickly
I totally refute this. It's not food, more of a plasticy concooction that lies heavily on the stomach...and as for quickly...

Which is of course the point you so rightly making. However, it's getting to the point where digital is not only immediate but actually better as well.

:)
Best regards

John
Tony Lee
Initiate
Initiate

Mc Donalds.

Post by Tony Lee »

John wrote:
McDonalds serve the food quickly
I totally refute this. It's not food, more of a plasticy concooction that lies heavily on the stomach...and as for quickly...

Which is of course the point you so rightly making. However, it's getting to the point where digital is not only immediate but actually better as well.

What does "better as well" mean John?
Do you think it is more satisfying ("better") to produce an image from a horrid old Epson - or new - printer or craft a 20 x 16 image via an enlarger and chemicals? Do you think after a couple of years on display one print would be "better" than the other?
Tony
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

What does "better as well" mean John?
Ah, Tony, you've got a good point there. I'm going to have to admit now that shooting digital I find better in almost every respect.

1. You can review shots, not after every capture, but enough to be reassured that all is working and the pictures are OK.

2. The results are available immediately on return home to be downloaded and examined in detail. Some can be ready for EPZ almost immediately if required, or shared on forums all round the world.

3. The images are clean and free of dust spots. OK, I know CCDs get dust spots, but nothing like the muck that ends up being spotted out on prints from negatives.

4. The clean look of digital images I actually prefer to the mushy look of medium grain films. A close call compared to the crisp grain of Tri-X or the superb sharpness of the long gone Panatomic-X, but in general...

5. The darkroom doesn't have to be set up and then cleaned up. I like darkroom work, but I prefer computer work. All the things I used to do in the darkroom I can now do in Photoshop, in the light, talking to Sue who's just next to me on her computer...

6. The printing ain't a problem, colour or monochrome. I get the results I want. Longeveity? Prints are lasting several years so far on the wall, but in any event an identical one can be made at any time.

7. Digital quality from a 10.2MP DSLR is, I reckon, as good if not better than from 35mm film. Different, maybe.

So that's some of what I mean by better, and maybe a few more things I've overlooked for now.

:)
Best regards

John
Tony Lee
Initiate
Initiate

OK John!

Post by Tony Lee »

Good to hear your thoughts John, but dont you miss those cold, dark evenings in the darkroom with Sue - I'll bet you do!! Oh those clothes pegs, wet trays and nice b+w prints!!
Tony
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Good to hear your thoughts John, but dont you miss those cold, dark evenings in the darkroom with Sue
I seem to remember they were quite hot actually....

8)
Best regards

John
HarryG
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by HarryG »

John,
Just over a week ago I developed a Fuji 400 BW film in the kitchen, mess everywhere, brown fingers, acrid smell, - gorgeous. Unwnding the first few inches of film from the spiral still gives me the same thrill that it first did over fifty years ago.
Tony Lee
Initiate
Initiate

The Old Way

Post by Tony Lee »

Brill, Paul.

If I knew how to post a pic I'd post one from my last darkroom experience.
I'll see you tonight. I've put some pics on Flikr - does that help?

Who's 'yellowduster'??? Good man.

Tony
Walter Brooks
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Confessions

Post by Walter Brooks »

Canon, Fuji and then film ... but not necessarily in that order ... any gaps in the the syllabus, than you could maybe do a presentation John, on ... Confessions of a Club Secretary? :lol:
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

I think I'll sell the movie rights first. Maybe on eBay....

:lol:
Best regards

John
Tony Lee
Initiate
Initiate

yellowduster

Post by Tony Lee »

yellowduster is Harry. Proper chemicals lad!!
Thanks Paul.
Tony

PS I see that analog is now "film"

I still think that "film" and "digi" should be grouped together!
Wendy M
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Wendy M »

I really miss working in a dark room. Points noted about the hassle of cleaning and the smell etc but there is just something magical about seeing that photo developing before your eyes .....
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

PS I see that analog is now "film"

I still think that "film" and "digi" should be grouped together!
I changed that this morning following requests to do so. We do actually listen and act at ADAPS!

As for the second suggestion, it's early days yet so it's wait and see how it goes for a little while longer.

EDIT: I've just noticed that there are twice as many posts in the Film section as there are in the Digital section. Unusual these days.
Best regards

John
Mike
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Post by Mike »

And the lovely glow of red. . . . :wink:
--------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk