Competition # 54 'BRICKS'

Enter our forum competitions here
Tom Gerrard

Competition # 54 'BRICKS'

Post by Tom Gerrard »

Hi Peeps,

The theme for the next online competition is 'BRICKS'.

With one building just a few miles down the road claiming to be the biggest brick building in Europe and just down another road the largest brick structure in Europe which many of you will have been over, I thought ‘BRICKS’ might make a good and easy subject for all to enter. Can, but doesn’t have to be the whole structure, perhaps some small detail where the ‘brickie’ showed off his skills. Common, facing, engineering, glazed, glass, stone, from Accrington, London to Legoland, we are surrounded by them, perhaps more than any other single object, which should give many photographic opportunities.

Closing time/date will be midnight Friday 30th April.

Best Regards, Tom.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Competition # 54 'BRICKS'

Post by John »

Here are some nice bricks and a nifty bit of brickwork.
Best regards

John
Walter Brooks
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Walter Brooks »

3 floors of a local mill converted to apartments. Each of the lintels over the windows are different on each floor in the 'Italianate' style.

Walter
“The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.”
― Dorothea Lange
PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by PhilipHowe »

...and nothing else. Tried explaining depth of field to my wife, this is all I could come up with.
Attachments
00459.jpg
00459.jpg (172.33 KiB) Viewed 6196 times
http://philiphowe.co.uk
http://facebook.com/PhilipHowe

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
Free Dropbox account link! http://db.tt/XvrZgQ68
Gill Blower
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Gill Blower »

Castlefield, Manchester
Attachments
001.jpg
001.jpg (64.05 KiB) Viewed 6162 times
bazzasmeg
Photographer
Photographer

Post by bazzasmeg »

Liverpool Cathedral, I fine example of the birckie's craft
Attachments
Liverpool 1-2.jpg
Liverpool 1-2.jpg (154.95 KiB) Viewed 6151 times
Tom Gerrard

Post by Tom Gerrard »

Thanks to everyone who entered the competition. My comments are as follows:-

John. You really will go to any lengths or depths to photograph a duck wont you? No idea where this is but it shows a good example of brickwork, both ancient and modern. A thought provoking shot leaves me wondering whoever and however that support was renewed. Technically excellent in all aspects, with good detail captured throughout. Obviously taken in difficult circumstances but I’m distracted by the duck and the green ‘thing’ above it. Well done.

Walter Brookes. An extremely interesting shot of a building erected when style was more important than the cost. Everything is right about this symmetrical shot and I wish I could see more of the building. Being a black and white enthusiast myself, on this occasion, I’m wondering what it would look like in colour. A picture of a subject probably unnoticed my most people, but well observed by you and I’ve enjoyed looking at it.

Philip Howe. I like this very much, simple but very effective. Nice and sharp in the foreground, with good use of DOF to give us a patterned background. The colours, to me, seem very accurate and the proportion of the of FG and BG are just right. Shooting at that slight angle also adds movement and interest.

Gill Blower. A bit of everything here - bricks, stone, steel, wood and water. Well exposed, on an obviously sunny day, you have captured all the detail in both the highlights and shadows. I would have liked you to have put your wellies on and captured and image from the bottom of that pillar; it looks very interesting and full of possibilities. Well seen.

Bazzasmeg. This enormous building was designed by Giles Gilbert Scott who also designed one of the smallest ‘buildings’, the K1 (kiosk No 1) Red telephone box, one of which can be seen inside this Cathedral. Very dramatic image which reflects the drama one experiences in this huge Church. The angle at which this was shot and the converging verticals all emphasise the enormity of this construction. There is also quite a few ‘bricks’ of different shapes and sizes to look at as well, with the blue of the window contrasting nicely with the colour of the stone. Good shot. I’m not over enamoured with vignetting and border work, otherwise a good capture.

Len McNally. Another windows and brick shot again well seen and as you say ‘no steel lintels’. Ah those were the days. For me the cropping is a bit tight at the top, with a bit too much brickwork at bottom with the light sills dividing the picture exactly in half. I wonder if the bottom bit was built by man called Yosser who said ‘Gizza a job! I can do that’. Whoever it was, he had certainly left his level at home that day. Which gives it loads of character and makes it more interesting for us to look at.

3rd Philip Howe.

2nd Walter Brookes.

1st Bazzasmeg.

So Bazzasmeg I only know a very little about you, why don’t you tell us something about yourself and of course pick the subject and judge the next competition.

Regards,

Tom Gerrard.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Thanks Tom and well done to our winners!

What will Bazzasmeg choose?
Best regards

John