Competition #59 - On The Road

Enter our forum competitions here
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Competition #59 - On The Road

Post by John »

The competition has now closed and I'll do the judging in the morning. See you then!
Best regards

John
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Competition #59 - On The Road

Post by John »

Excellent set of images and a terrific response with 15 entries. Now for the difficult bit...

Myra - Lake District Floods - A great idea and it's nice to see that some of us get out and about in bad weather as well as fine. I was undecided whether I would have liked the camera panned slightly to the right to give more emphasis to the splash rather than the empty road. If it was possible it might have been very effective. A great start to the set of images.

Bert Haddock - Is this a Trunk Road? - We have the place, the subject, the humour and the photographic skill. Bert's images never disappoint, and this is another cracker. Bert gets a well deserved Second Place

Ianuk50 - One For the Road - Another great idea, this time from the ADAPS trip to Beamish. A good viewpoint, but this does suffer from over exposure of the background. If at all possible I would have approached this from the other side, where the truck would have been fully lit by the sun and the background would have been in shadow.

paulinefisher - Ready For The Road - A nicely done bit of selective colouring that projects the subject forwards and gives it the proper emphasis. This careful attention to detail and excellent technique gains Pauline a splendid Third Place

Gill Blower - On The Road - A fantastic feel of the Scottish Highlands, including that slightly chilly edge...no rain though for once! A simple and effective shot, well composed. A gentle and satisfying image that captures the essence of the area so well.

Tracey McGovern - On The Road - And indeed it's Tracey who's on the road for this dramatic shot. The image gets its drama from the cloud, light and colour rather than the composition. Some point to focus on would be good, but as it is it remains an evocative shot of a splendid landscape.

Tom Gerrard - A dash of humour, an effective square format and some lateral thinking from Tom. Note the very careful placement of objects in the bottom corners of the frame - Tom knows exactly what he is about with this. The only hesitation this image gives me is the colour and, for me, slightly over-aggressive sharpening. There is an unreal effect about the image, but it's a matter of personal taste and I have no doubt this was the effect that Tom wanted.

Philip Howe - Marrakesh - Nicely panned, good colour and exposure, but a slightly bored looking pair on the bike. A bit more interation or emotion from them and this would have hit the spot. Excellent panning technique.

Walter Brooks - This has been very well handled, with just the right amount of ambient light combining with the car's own lights. The effect is very satisfying and it makes a moody advertising shot.

Len McNally - A different viewpoint indeed, good idea Len! I feel the shot is a little over exposed and would have darkened it down to balance up the exterior and interior light. The only way this could be better as a concept is to have taken the driver's point of view, but that might have been rather difficult to achieve. I like the imaginitive approach, so often evident in Len's shots.

Stewood - A Road Less Travelled - Although this isn't really the way to post in the forum, glad you got the image to us anyway. The lighting makes this one, and the strong lead in. I like its dramatic simplicity and therefore this is Commended

Carl - Classic Cars - Another splendid idea, but let down by so much of the image being out of focus. I think this needed darkening and it certainly needed a tripod and much smaller aperture. Focusing on the hyperfoical distance would have maximised Depth of Field. If you wanted just the Morris to be sharpe, then perhaps less of the rest so that they don't overwhelm the image quite so much.

GerryG - Chitty Tours Wales - Wow, what a classic image. This is so well put together and technically faultless. Great effect, great coplour, great composition. Gerry, you are the Winner this time around, and hoipefully we will see this one again in our battles and other competitions.

pammie - Tram Lines on the Road - Nice textures and composition with a fairly wide lens. I like the way the images falls towards the bottom left corner. Lots of water on the road surface would have helped, but we have to accept what's there at the time!

bazzasmeg - AA Box on the Road - I liked this when I saw it on EPZ and I still like it now. It appeals to whatever makes me photograph quirky small buildings. As I said on EPZ, I still have a key for these boxes, so I must go and look inside sometime. I like the gentle colour and square format, both of which evoke the period feel of these boxes. It was a gentler world and you've captured it well.

Sp thank you all for entering, I hope you've enjoyed taking part and also seeing what others can do. Very well done to our winners and gerry, please set a new competition in a new thread, with an end date about three weeks from now. :-]
Best regards

John