“The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.”
― Dorothea Lange
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Competition # 60 - Food

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Hi Gerry

You've got a good selection of images here, you chose a good topic. Can you please do the honours with the judging and awarding a winner.

Thanks

Tracey
GERRYG
Elite Member
Elite Member
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by GERRYG »

Hello everybody,
Sorry I've not been able to judge the competition till now, I have had a problem with my computer, we are now up and running. Firstly I will tell you how I judged your picture's. I closed my eyes and pointed, only joking. 1. I looked to see which picture actually had a link to food. 2. The composition of the picture, was it pleasing and interesting. 3. Technique, sharpness, thirds and all that. 4 Effort, Was time taken to compose and produce the picture. Then I got bored. So here goes.

1 John Riley, Two Apples. As normal John was thinking outside the box, in this case outside the lunch box. Breaking the rule by having an even number instead of an odd number, who came up with that one.
2 Bert Haddock, Fresh Fish. A Loverly picture, with a food theme. Sharp and well composed, a bit of blur on the bird back, but the sharpness of the fish and the beak make up for that.
3 Myra, Cabbage. Good sharp picture, well composed, and three items. I think the picture is a bit boring, maybe one of the cabbages cut in half would have helped. Sorry
4 Sue, My Food. And your welcome to it. It's in the food theme, but It's junk food. Did you have to buy this guy his dinner to get this shot. Anyway it's a well spotted shot, and well taken.
5 Ian, Raw Steak. Pushing the FOOD theme a bit far on this one. You don't get steak from cows. Good shot of a cow, but there are too many other distractions in the shot. You should have Mooooved the udders out of the way.
6 Carl, Rosy red apples and green leaves set against blue sky . Well I don't have to guess what it's a picture of, it's what it say's on the tin. Good pictures, nice colours that go well together. I think a closer crop would have helped.
7 Keith Richardson, Brown Bread. Brilliant Picture as normal. The Hovis van puts it in the food theme. A striking image well composed.
8 Scaba Diver(Pauline), Peppers. O dear! It's in the food theme. The idea is great, but I think you need auto focus.
9 Pammie, Food for the soul. I think we have stretched the food theme a bit too far on this one pammie, Is one of your legs shorter than the other or is the church falling over. other than that a good picture.
10 Tracey Mcgovern, Food. I like this picture, reminds me of the harvest festival from church. Right in the food theme, nice colours. Only thing is the 2 tomatoes at a bottom seem to be a bit blured.
11 Matthew, Bread and Butter Pudding. Brilliant Food picture, could have come straight from a cookery book. Would sell the product and make you want to eat it. Spot on for the theme of this competition.
12 Bazzasmee, Red and Green. Well in the food theme, and a good idea. The picture seems a bit soft, I'm not sure if you meant that. But a nice abstract pattern anyway.
13 Paul Jones, Fruity. Yes definitely Friuty. Very nice studio shot, sharp, good eye contact. The red lips and nail grab you and draw you in. Where does she live as a matter of interest.
14 Philip Howe, Afternoon Tea. Well it put me off my afternoon tea. Thinking outside the box, and just about gets into the food theme. Good close-up shot, well taken.
15 Walter Brooks, No Title so we'll call it Black Pudd'n. Good idea, black pudding in the Bury Times. Where all the best black puddings come from. Unlike the bread and butter pudding I wouldn't be tempted.

Right, what you all want to know is who won
Well I THIRD PLACE
BERT HADDOCK, WITH FRESH FISH - I'VE JUST REALIZED HADDOCK- FRESH FISH

SECOND PLACE,
AND IN AN OPEN CONTEST WOULD BE A WINNER
KEITH RICHARDSON, BROWN BREAD - WELL DONE

THE WINNER,
AND I EXPECT A BIG TRAY OF THE STUFF AT THE NEXT MEETING
MATTHEW, WITH THE MOUTH WATERING BREAD AND BUTTER PUDDING - WELL DONE
paulinefisher
Photographer
Photographer

Post by paulinefisher »

Congratulations to the winner, I could just eat that now.

Note to Gerry: I didn't enter Scuba Diver is Alison :roll: :wink: :roll: :wink:
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Post by Paul Jones »

GERRYG wrote: Paul Jones, Fruity. Yes definitely Friuty. Very nice studio shot, sharp, good eye contact. The red lips and nail grab you and draw you in. Where does she live as a matter of interest.

London.
Maria Eriksson - http://www.purestorm.com/profile.aspx?id=MariaE
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
Matthew
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Matthew »

Thanks Gerry. Clearly your decision was influenced by your stomach!Sorry unable to supply you with a similar dish as it was purchased in a restaurant. It tasted as good as it looks though.
Matthew
Scuba Diver
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Scuba Diver »

Hi Gerry,
You comment was correct, it is out of focus, serves me right, I should have checked it before hitting the sumbit button, I do have others which were in focus, congratulations Matthew, which restaurant was it as I could eat some of that Bread and Butter Pudding now.