Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Re: Competition #62 Black & White

Post by PhilipHowe »

Jade_hands_1024_2.jpg
Jade_hands_1024_2.jpg (154.97 KiB) Viewed 6586 times
http://philiphowe.co.uk
http://facebook.com/PhilipHowe

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
Free Dropbox account link! http://db.tt/XvrZgQ68
mancunian61

Post by mancunian61 »

The Goddess of Butrint, Albania

Regards

Ann
Attachments
The Goddess of Butrint.JPG
The Goddess of Butrint.JPG (189.08 KiB) Viewed 6584 times
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Onya

Post by Paul Jones »

Onya

Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
GERRYG
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by GERRYG »

CLAIR
Attachments
CLAIR3.jpg
CLAIR3.jpg (148.72 KiB) Viewed 6568 times
JCollins1964
Initiate
Initiate

Post by JCollins1964 »

First of all thanks to everyone who entered this competition. I did not realise until today what a tough job the judges have with marking images. I hope I don’t offend anyone.
Here goes.

Ashton Memorial at Williamson Park by Pammie

The angle of the shot really helps the memorial dominate the frame. Good use of the stairway to lead the viewer into the shot. Really nice contrast between the light stonework and the dark sky. Good detail throughout. Very well exposed 17/20

Eric Morecambe Statue by Ianuk50

Nice image of a truly great comedian. I don’t think the lighting conditions helped you with this shot. Looks like it was just one of those days, a very grey sky with no detail (This happens to me all the time :-[ ). Eric looks a little dark as well. 15/20

The Castle in Black and white by Carl

Good use of depth of field. Don’t think the image really shows me the castle as stated in the title 15/20

Kirsty by Tom Gerrard

What a beautiful portrait. I would be really pleased to have taken this shot. The eyes are captivating. The processing makes the image almost look like a painting. Not sure if this was your intention. 20/20

Raphaella by Tracey Mc Govern

Again a beautifull portrait shot. Lovely lighting and pose. 19/20

The Committee by Sue

As soon as I saw this image it made me smile. This work of art/bench looks fantastic and the black and white conversion really helps it to stand out. I am sure most people can relate some of these characters to people that they know, not necessarily from ADAPS. Where was this taken Sue? 20/20

Gillingham Infra Red by John

Not really looked at infra red images before but this one looks very good. Very good composition. Interesting foreground and background detail with a very interesting sky. Incredibly sharp 19/20

Ollie by Vicky Buckley

What a cute little dog. Nice use of depth of field. If this is your dog I am sure you will look at this picture in a few years time and it will put a smile on your face 16/20

Skelwith Bridge in B&W by bazzasmeg

Very nice photo of an old arch structure. Plenty of detail in the masonry. Very good exposure to retain detail in the sky and also still be able to see the staining on the underside (Intrados) of the arch. Plenty of interest in the rest of the image. I like the rocks in the foreground. 18/20

Wigans Derelict Town Hall by Keith Richardson

Wow what an incredibly moody shot. Very dramatic sky and fabulous detail in the building. I would be interested to know how this has been processed. 20/20

Rolls Royce by Pauline Fisher

Is this yours? Nicely exposed image. You can see the reflections of the sky in the bonnet. Looks pin sharp to me. Think this image would look good in a set rather than on its own 17/20

Dunham Massey-Infared by Des

Wow my second ever infra red image. Really like the effect this has produced. Lots of detail throughout 18/20

Watch by Stu B

Nice use of depth of field to highlight the manufacturer (are these more expensive than Timex?). Good product shot 17/20

Black Mint Ducati by Bert Hadock

Great shot of a motorbike at full tilt. Crisp detail on the bike and rider. You can even see the riders eyes (I listened to the judge last week :( ) Would have given this 1 more mark if I had not fallen off my motorbike this week . 19/20

Jade hands by Philip Howe

Another beautiful portrait shot. I really like the pose. The hands really add interest rather than being a distraction. Another one of those images that I would have been proud to have taken 20/20

The Goddess of Butrint, Albania by mancunian61

Well exposed. Retained some detail in the sky. Good use of depth of field to make the statue stand out. 15.5/20

Onya by Paul Jones.

Top quality work. Lovely pose, lovely lighting. Can you give me some lessons.....for free :-d 20/20

Clair by GerryG

Again top quality work. Fabulous eyes. Can you also give me some lessons 20/20

The Old Man of Storr by Len McNally

Very dramatic location. Really like the ruggedness of the scene and the low cloud. Not 100% sure about the foreground processing. 17/20

Drum roll please......

So who are the top 3.

I gave 6 images 20/20. In this batch we had some incredible portrait shots and I honestly cant decide between them.
So here goes.

1st Place – Wigan Derelict Town Hall by Keith Richardson
2nd Place(s) – Kirsty by Tom Gerrard, Jade hands by Philip Howe, Onya by Paul Jones & Claire by Gerry G
3rd ish place – The Committee by Sue

Thanks

Joe
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Post by Paul Jones »

JCollins1964 wrote: Onya by Paul Jones.
Top quality work. Lovely pose, lovely lighting. Can you give me some lessons.....for free :-d 20/20
Thanks for your comments Joe. :D
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
keith richardson
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by keith richardson »

Thank you Joe,
I certainly wasn't expecting that result. :shock:

There are as you say some excellent shots in this competition, particularly the portraits, which seems to be becoming a club speciality of late. Portraits are an area I definitely need to work on myself.

Anyway I actually didn't even think of a subject for the next one, ( wasn't expecting the option to arise), so will get back to everyone with a new subject sometime tomorrow.

thanks again,

Keith
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

That was a superb turnout of entries, well done everyone! We seem to have some budding judges as well... :D
Best regards

John