Competition #3 - weather

Enter our forum competitions here
sunsworth
Photographer
Photographer

Competition #3 - weather

Post by sunsworth »

There, I've given the subject away in the title. Post an photograph showing some aspect of the weather. It could be the effect of the sun on an old door, a portrait of someone soaked on a rainy day, or a landscape where the weather is central to the image. Anything that has something to say about weather.

I can't win this one, so while I _do_ have an image in mind for my post, it's up to you all to try to supply the wining photographs.

By my reckoning the competition will end in two weeks time at midnight on the 21st. Good luck!
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

"Rainbow"

Best regards

John
sunsworth
Photographer
Photographer

Post by sunsworth »

Here's my entry, a misty morning on the River Dee at Chester. Not the best of weather for a sightseeing boat trip IMHO <grin>.

Sue
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Sue »

Storm Clouds

Best wishes

Sue
Tom Gerrard

Post by Tom Gerrard »

'Sunrise At Glencoe'
By Tom Gerrard

keith richardson
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by keith richardson »

After the Rain
by Keith Richardson.

TerryMooney

Competition #3

Post by TerryMooney »

Driving In The Rain
sunsworth
Photographer
Photographer

Post by sunsworth »

Competition over. I'll try to post my response this evening.

A big thank you to everone who entered.
sunsworth
Photographer
Photographer

Post by sunsworth »

Ok here goes - now be gentle, I'm not a judge! The first two picked themselves, choosing the third was more difficult, and any number of entrants could have been chosen.

John, a pleasant shot where the interest lies in the double rainbow. I hope you've told your neighbour that he has a pot of gold in the bathroom?

Myra, this is a good souvenir of what looks like a very cold day. I'm sure that the photograph brings back some very fond memories of a day out with friends.

Paul, I've taken a lot of photographs of these sculptures at Crosby myself. I know how difficult it is to find something different to say. And in this photograph you've done just that.

Sue, what a dramatic sky. Very nicely set off by the white house. I think this would have been even better if the house frontage hadn't been cut by the hedge in the foreground, but short of buying a chain saw there was probably very little you could have done about that.

Len Hudson, an interesting time in autumn when the reds and browns have faded and winter is well on its way. The path leads the viewer into the photograph well, but I would have liked to have had someone in the photograph - either in the foreground or in the distance walking into the frame. Again, this isn't something that can always be arranged on demand.

Tom, this came very close and you probably deserve an award for being up so early in such cold conditions. The back lit clouds have tremendous atmosphere and the whole scene is very dramatic.

Keith, dramatic light yet again, but I'm not convinced it started life looking like this - after saying that I _know_ you're going to tell me that it was shot exactly as seen <grin>. Have you tried putting the statue a little off centre? I think that may add to the enjoyment of the image.

Terry, I really, really liked this. At first glance it's just a banal snapshot, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. If anything sums up the weather in out part of the world it's this photograph. I hope you were the passenger when you took this <grin>.

And so onto the top three...

In third place Simon. You've done very well here, and I wish I could have taken such a good photograph when I was 9 years old. The single footprint is placed in exactly the right part of the photograph to make it interesting. And the fact that there's only one footprint makes me wonder about whose foot it is, and where they've been walking to.

Second place Des. This one made me smile. The composition is excellent, the sheep's head, the mist and the line of trees on the horizon perfect. The only suggestion I would make is that it looks a little flat on my monitor, but that could be the fault of my monitor, or it could be exactly how you wanted it to look.

First place Len McNally. Delightful. The capture of the trees in the rolling mist is very, very well caught. Would it work better without the dark tree in the foreground? I don't know, and I don't really care. This one won because I though it was the most atmospheric photograph of all those submitted. It would work well in black and white too, as I'm sure you realise.

So there we go, the prize (???) goes to Len and I'll leave it to him to chose the next theme.

Thanks to everyone who submitted photographs, I greatly enjoyed looking at them all. and look forward to seeing all of the entrants to Len's competition.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Many thanks, Steve, for a very thoughtful appraisal. And congrats to all who took part, especially our three winners.

Len McNally please step forwards and start a new thread with a new theme!

:D
Best regards

John
Myra
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Myra »

Well done Len,, great shot.

Myra :lol: