Competition # 71 TREES

Enter our forum competitions here
keith richardson
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: Competition # 71 TREES

Post by keith richardson »

Hi everyone,
Thanks to everyone who entered, quite a selection to go through, so here goes..

Stelee fallen tree.
A good one to start off with. I think it would have worked better if it was cropped to fill the frame with just the tree, with the waterfall behind.
Everything else around seems a tad distracting.

mancunian 61 sunset
A wonderful sky and a great backdrop, but I think the trees on the horizon should have been larger,and the twigs at the top, although a classic framing tool, do distract a little too much.

Ianuk50 Ooo tree.
Well spotted and captured,( you should have painted the eyes in before you left, to spook people ).
personally I think that the bluebells could have done with a little saturation to bring out some colour around the base.

Tracey Tree in snow.
I do like this, and I think the pastel colours of the sky come out very well. Snow scenes are notoriously hard to get right, and I love the way it sits on and emphasises the branches of the tree. Well spotted.

John Tree of Stone.
Funnily enough I was half expecting this one to pop up, as its on your webpage already. I am sure thought that I have had to judge this one in a previous competition.
Obviously one of your favourite shots John. I do like the juxtaposition of the elements, but not sure its what i was looking for here.

Kevinlowe 70's tree (?)
Not sure where the title comes from. This is the sort of shot I was anticipating, but with the lens flare, the fence post and the cloud being in just the wrong place,there are a few too many distractions in this one.

Mark Dyson
I do like this one and its really well done with the tree so isolated on the background. Although I can't help thinking it would look better with a lone figure of some sort on the left, to add a sense of mystery perhaps. I do like the simple black border too.

Paul Twistleton Scar.
Another one I like. The tree definitely fits the name and location, and the sky is a perfect backdrop.

Matthew
And another I do like. The tree itself is a super subject, I do like trees that are twisted and unusual. (says a lot about me perhaps).
But it is a pity you couldn't get the sky from Pauls picture above, as the clouds ( plane trails ) spoil the effect somewhat.

Pammie Dunham Massey.
Somewhere I have never managed to get to, dunham massey, will have to make more of an effort one day.
I do like this one, the lighting, coming from behind really brings out the shape and texture of the trees. It looks almost tone mapped where the trees are, and I think it would have looked better as a tighter crop as the water doesn't really add much to the overall image.

Des Moses gate.
Another one that I really like. Probably because I used to be well into infra red, (in the old days of using film and fiddling about in a dark bag trying load the camera in daylight), and this gives the impression of a classic infra red image. Although looking closer it could just be the back lighting on the foliage.

Bazzameg Haslem Park.
A nice image capturing well the autumn colours in the park. But to be frank I find that border very distracting.

Pauline Whalley Abbey.
A really nice image. I do like the way the foliage stands out from the muted colours of the building. The hedge at the bottom does help frame the image nicely too, where it could so easily have drawn the eye away.

-KT small beginnings.
A well thought out and captured shot. Those hands do really look like they have seen a garden or two in their time.
The fledgling tree is well caught and just the right size and shape, and well lit too. The old trick of leaving a coloured part in a monochrome works well too, but personally I think that although the leaves are okay, the trunk is a touch too red, and I found that distracting.

so hopefully, not having upset too many people, ( I hate being a judge ), here goes.

Equal 3rd place. Tracey, and Des.

2nd Place. Mark Dyson

winner... Pauline.

Well done Pauline.

Thanks to everyone who entered... it was a difficult job sorting them.
STEEWOOD
Initiate
Initiate
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by STEEWOOD »

Taken on very cold morning Limestone Pavement
Attachments
Storm clouds gathering
Storm clouds gathering
wood (2).jpg (198.75 KiB) Viewed 3537 times
paulinefisher
Photographer
Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by paulinefisher »

:shock: What a lovely surprise, thanks for that Keith. I will do some thinking and post the new comp details asap.