Competition #79 - Religion

Enter our forum competitions here
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Competition #79 - Religion

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Hi All

Well, I've been scratching my head a bit to try and come up with something that has not already been done in the previous 78 competitions and as it is coming up to our most religious time of the year I thought this fitted in well.

The topic "Religion" should cover a wide range of areas to have a go at: churches (of all faiths), grave stones, statues, events, infact anything at all with a religious or faith connection.

Hope to see many entries, the closing date is midnight on Sunday 18th December.

Best Wishes
Tracey
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Competition #79 - Religion

Post by John »

"Towards The Light"
Best regards

John
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Post by Paul Jones »

Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
Ianuk50
Elite Member
Elite Member
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by Ianuk50 »

"Angel guide me, every day"
Attachments
Angel
Angel
Angel.jpg (159.96 KiB) Viewed 25097 times
"I look up to Pammie....especially when I am grovelling to her to let me win!!"
stelee
Initiate
Initiate

Post by stelee »

Taken at Atherton Parish Church.
Attachments
_DSC1893.jpg
_DSC1893.jpg (239.56 KiB) Viewed 25064 times
Myra
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Myra »

Christ in the Cave.

This is a painting on a cave wall on Davarr Island just off the Mull of Kintyre.
Attachments
Christ in the Cave00.jpg
Christ in the Cave00.jpg (201.73 KiB) Viewed 25041 times
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

Sanctuary Knocker - Durham Cathedral. In medieval times, persecuted individuals who required a place of refuge could bang on the knocker and would be given sanctuary in the Cathedral for 37 days.
Attachments
S1030612 copy.jpg
S1030612 copy.jpg (41.54 KiB) Viewed 25015 times
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
Des

Post by Des »

: Shadows of Christ :
Greystokes Village Church Cumbria.
Attachments
Shadows of Christ copy.jpg
Shadows of Christ copy.jpg (156.76 KiB) Viewed 25006 times
paulinefisher
Photographer
Photographer

Post by paulinefisher »

Bible inside the old church at Felbrigg Hall Norfolk.
Bible for web.jpg
Bible for web.jpg (237.7 KiB) Viewed 24949 times
angie.eldon
Initiate
Initiate

Post by angie.eldon »

The solemn moment when the priest blesses the eucharist before offering it to the new bride & groom. Taken at Liverpool Catherdral from the TV gantry.
Attachments
Religion.jpg
Religion.jpg (227.96 KiB) Viewed 24941 times
KEASLA
Photographer
Photographer

Post by KEASLA »

My Flickr My Twitter

As always, stern, stern but fair
bazzasmeg
Photographer
Photographer

Post by bazzasmeg »

Stained Glass Window, St Annes Church, Manchester
Regards, Barry
Attachments
Stained Glass Window 1.jpg
Stained Glass Window 1.jpg (216.41 KiB) Viewed 24881 times
keith richardson
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by keith richardson »

The Scott Memorial.
memorial sunlit.jpg
memorial sunlit.jpg (235.7 KiB) Viewed 24822 times
Memorial in Liverpools Anglican Cathedral to Gilbert Giles Scott, the cathedrals architect.

Keith.
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Hi All

Thank you to everyone who took the time to submit their pictures into this months competition. Now for the judging:

John - Towards The Light
This is a lovely shot of Christ being bathed in sunlight, as though the light is guiding him to it. This must have been a difficult shot to take, you have the dark areas of the church in contrast with the bright sunlight coming through the windows which has has been handled very well.

Paul - Untitled
This shot has also been handled well, these stained glass windows are extremely difficult to take but you have managed to capture the detail and colours really well and I particularly like the angle you have captured this, not the usual full on view that most people take, instead picking out a particularly colourful and interesting detail instead.

Ian - Angle Guide Me Every Day
This is a nice subject to have captured with the angel looking down on the cross, which fits the brief well. I think the image would have benefitted from a tad more contrast, this may have helped to lifted the statues away from the trees in the back ground and would have helped keep our attention onto her and the cross.

Stelee - Untitled
This stone sculpture also fits the brief very well, you have captured the detail of the carving well whilst maintaining good contrast so that the image has depth and is not left flat.

Myra - Christ in the Cave
I don't know how old this painting is but it looks very old and must have been difficult to capture with little light available. The colours are good and you have captured the textures in the stone very well.

Janice - Sanctuary Knocker
This is a nice detail shot with good textures of the wood and the brass of the knocker. It looks like you may have used a flash which has washed out the colours in the image a little, these could have been brought back in Photoshop using levels and / or curves.

Des - Shadows of Christ
This is a good mono conversion showing great detail in the rocks and statue with the light coming in through the window on the left, which has created some lovely shaddows to give the picture depth.

Pauline - Bible
This is a well composed shot with great clarity, you can virtually read every word on those pages, the only thing that lets it down a bit is the right area at the top right but I'm not sure what you could have done about that, but I like the subject and it fits the brief very well.

Angie - Untitled
This is a good shot of a religious event, capturing everything that is happening, it is obviously a wedding with the bride and groom and the priest and his staff, it looks a very important wedding with so many people in attendance. It's just a pity they are so far away but having said that, there wasn't alot you could have done from the position you were in, nor would you have got everyone in with a tighter crop.

Keasla - Untitled
This is a nice moody shot of a church yard scene, the mono conversion works really well adding to the atmosphere of the place and the subject matter fits the brief very well.

Bazzasmeg - Stained Glass Window
You have captured the detail and colours very well with no blown out bits, which are difficult to maintain with this type of image. The subject suffers slightly from converging edges a bit, but again, I appreciate how difficult it is to control these when the windows are usually very high up so you have probably levelled them out as best as you could in the circumstances.

Keith - The Scotts Memorial
Another difficult shot to capture due to the lack of light in some areas whilst bright light beaming in through the windows in other areas. You have managed to retain the detail in all the brickwork and the memorial itself which is an interesting shape and you have handled the converging edges really well.

Thanks again everyone for your entries, now for the results............................

3rd - Pauline, I really like the subject matter and the fact that the writing is pin sharp
2nd - Stelee, I like the simplicity of this shot and you have managed to retain an almost 3D quality to it
1st - Paul, this one has remained my favourite throughout. I particularly like the angle this has been shot at and I like the vibrancy of the colours

Over to you Paul for our next subject

Tracey
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Tracey McGovern wrote: Paul - Untitled
This shot has also been handled well, these stained glass windows are extremely difficult to take but you have managed to capture the detail and colours really well and I particularly like the angle you have captured this, not the usual full on view that most people take, instead picking out a particularly colourful and interesting detail instead.

1st - Paul, this one has remained my favourite throughout. I particularly like the angle this has been shot at and I like the vibrancy of the colours

Thank-you Tracey. I'm flattered that you like it.

Church interiors and stained glass are quite hard to take well and it's a subject that I've never really pursued. The shot was taken in St Conan's Kirk, Loch Awe, Scotland - famous for its life size effigy of Robert The Bruce.

As you said, instead of trying to capture the whole window, I just picked out interesting details, and by tilting the camera tried to make it a little different.

I'll post a new competition later....

Joyeux Noël et bonne année
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."