Forum Competition #83 = The High Street.

Enter our forum competitions here
Stu B
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Forum Competition #83 = The High Street.

Post by Stu B »

Well, February is apon us. Cold and windy conditions. Subjects like love and Valentines day, Immediately spring to mind. But not being the romantic type. This wasn't for me. I wanted an outdoor subject that everyone could join in with. I was watching a news clip earlier. On the decline of the British High Street, and thought this would tick the boxes I require.

So use your imagination, post your images, which can be record shots, Landscapes or street candid. Anything goes really, be it Local or from the city.

Good look to all. Have a go, you know it makes sense...

Competion closing date will be Tuesday 21st Feb at midnight.

Stuart
Regards

Stuart....
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Re: Forum Competition #83 = The High Street.

Post by yachtsman1 »

This is my entry, we lived in Leyburn for 4 years & as the nearest "supermarket " was 6 miles away, used the high street shops regularly. However, trying to catch this view on a bright day without traffic meant a great deal of hanging around. The shop with the bicycle is Mrs Pomfrets Sandwich Shop.
Eric
Yachtsman1.
Attachments
Leyburn High Street.jpg
Leyburn High Street.jpg (190.56 KiB) Viewed 10843 times
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Forres High Street

Post by Paul Jones »

Forres is one of Scotland's oldest small towns, and also one of its most attractive. Forres in Moray is situated about 27 miles east of the Highland capital of Inverness. The town's impressive parks and gardens with outstanding floral sculptures have led to many awards from the prestigious Britain and Scotland in Bloom competitions.

http://www.forresweb.net/

Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
pammie
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by pammie »

Reflections on a Norwich Street
Attachments
adaps high street comp.jpg
adaps high street comp.jpg (215.82 KiB) Viewed 10790 times
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

The Village High Street, Haworth. Famous for its connection with the Brontes
Attachments
S1032228 - Copy.JPG
S1032228 - Copy.JPG (252.69 KiB) Viewed 10780 times
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
mancunian61

Post by mancunian61 »

A very old High Street - Beamish at the end of the day!
Attachments
Beamish 1.jpg
Beamish 1.jpg (230.23 KiB) Viewed 10749 times
stelee
Initiate
Initiate

Post by stelee »

Playing the old joanna.
Attachments
PICT0056.jpg
PICT0056.jpg (177.07 KiB) Viewed 10726 times
VikBri
Initiate
Initiate

Post by VikBri »

High Street Parade
Pride.jpg
Pride.jpg (118.83 KiB) Viewed 10683 times
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

A Misty New Years Eve in Atherton:
044-New-Year's-Eve.jpg
044-New-Year's-Eve.jpg (280.21 KiB) Viewed 10671 times
Best regards

John
keith richardson
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by keith richardson »

Orvis: Sporting traditions since 1856.
orvis 2012.jpg
orvis 2012.jpg (183.29 KiB) Viewed 10669 times
One of the classy shops to be found in Bakewell, Derbyshire.
regards, keith.
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

This Christmas shop is open 12 months of the year (this was taken in the summer) and sits on the high street in Stratford on Avon.
Christmas-Shop,-Stratford-v2.jpg
Christmas-Shop,-Stratford-v2.jpg (147.15 KiB) Viewed 10634 times
Tracey
bazzasmeg
Photographer
Photographer

Post by bazzasmeg »

Southport High Street?
Attachments
High Street 1.jpg
High Street 1.jpg (193.54 KiB) Viewed 10625 times
PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by PhilipHowe »

Kaunas, Lithuania.

[img]P2115071.jpg[/img]
Attachments
P2115071.jpg
P2115071.jpg (200.4 KiB) Viewed 10616 times
http://philiphowe.co.uk
http://facebook.com/PhilipHowe

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
Free Dropbox account link! http://db.tt/XvrZgQ68
Stu B
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Stu B »

Hi all.

The deadline has now passed for competition #83.

Thank you to all the entrants who have responded. It’s been great fun. You gave me lots to analyse and think about.

I am very much a novice, in all things photographic. So I will not be able to pass a critique on the technical qualities of each entry. I imagined the judging would be a daunting task. Though I hope you will all take my comments in the friendly manner they were intended.

yachtsman1
I always think, the first poster in the forum competition should be somehow awarded something for being brave and setting the standard. Here we have a good representation, of a market town setting. Very Quaint, specialty shops. Sunday drive stuff. I’ve never been to Leyburn before, and this picture, makes me think it would be well worth a visit. A well exposed image. You have controlled the bright sunlight very well, It is the images composition that bothers me a little. In the terms of this competition, I feel I want to be a little nearer, Or further away for a more Landscape view. I think the roof and window line of the building, add little to the scene. To go off subject for a second. I would have shot the town planner. That allowed the bay window to be installed next to the pet shop. So I personally, would have opted for a crop just above the signage, for a letterbox kind of style. I am also drawn away from the subject by the gate to the left. Plus I really wanted to read what it said on the bicycle,

Paul Jones
Perfectly exposed throughout the depth of the image. Something I at times struggle with. Though, I do find it difficult to spot a real point of interest. I get distracted by the parked mini or the town hall clock face.

Pammie.
Yes. Jack Wills the university outfitters. One of those type of shots every time you look at it you see something more. I like the black & white use, and slight colour popping. (you missed a bit..lol) The reflection to the left of the picture are quite strong. which gives the image, an added interest to the mall alongside. Lovely balanced tones You even managed a self portrait for good measure.

Janice
Haworth. Another place I will have to add to my list of interesting places to visit. Lovely shot, that is again well exposed. Balancing out the differing shades, has me thinking sunny side of the street. Cobbles do tend to take you through the image to the rolling scenery in the background. Which is no bad thing.

Mancunian61
I lovely attempt at a reproduction photograph. Cobbled streets and tram tracks, set the period. I’m not usually a fan of vignette, but it works well here. Maybe I would have liked to see a version with a sepia wash. Have to say, like Paul’s image the road does lead you through the scene to no conclusion.

Stelee
Again another lovely image, that brought a smile to my face. Lots of interest here. I like the thought of a musician playing for his supper. Totally prepared for our inclement climate. With his large umbrella stowed close to hand. Obviously a seasoned campaigner as he has a collection receptacle on each side of the walkway. Though, he doesn’t seem to be impressing his audience. Except for the Theo lookalike. Two things I would like to see here I cant. Are the musicians face and whoever is reading the newspaper. But that is not really a determent. I also would have liked the exif info, if possible.

VikBri
A warm welcome to a newcomer to the forum competition. My favourite place, for photography, Manchester.. A vibrant street journalistic type image, with lots of activity. You cant get away from the colour of the occasion, which a parade or carnival are all about. A well executed candid street shot. Your Achilles heel being, you’re my daughter. So I cant be seen, to be too favourable !!

John.
I was wondering if anyone would attempt a shot in the poor light conditions at this time of year. As usual John you never shy away from the more difficult and dangerous areas. So I applaud you for that. I like the way the fog descends to close off a road, that meanders through the image. The closed down shops, for sale signs, really emphasizing a town in decline,

Keith.
High class sports indeed, and a high class shot that has become your signature. Great detail, Lovely depth of field.

Tracey.
Another lovely exposure, with vibrant colours and great detail. Only thing is, It’s “sunny”, But that’s the story, Christmas all year round. I feel it would have benefitted from a person stood/walking in front to give a little scale.

Bazzasmeg
Lovely record shot I really do admire the modelers that painstakingly construct these type of things. Nice angle of view. Catching all the red chimney pots.

PhillipHowe
Well Phil. You really have confused me now. Not only, had I not heard of Kaunas, I had to Google the whereabouts of Lithuania… My sum knowledge of the country previously , can be summed in the statement “They’re crap at football” A fantastic image. The only one taken within the timescale of the competition. I like the differing styles of architecture. All leading down to the St Paul’s type building at the vanishing point.

So without delay. What your really all interested in.

The result…

3rd Stelee Joanna

2nd PhillipHowe. Kaunas.

Winner Pammie. Reflections on a Norwich Street
The picture that just keeps on giving. Loved this one as soon as I saw it.

Again thanks and well done to all the entrants. Be nice to see a few more have a dabble.

Stuart.

Well done Pammie and please let us have a new competition At your earliest convenience.
Regards

Stuart....
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Well done everyone! And Stuart, you did just fine!
Best regards

John