Comp #89 GEOMETRY

Enter our forum competitions here
pammie
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Comp #89 GEOMETRY

Post by pammie »

Hi all,

for the next comp I have chosen the subject "Geometry". This can be interpreted in any way, i.e. table top, architecture, landscape, etc.

I will be looking for strong lines and blocks/shapes, and how well the subject chosen fits the brief.

As there is a holiday coming up, I will extend the time to 3 weeks, and the closing date will be midnight on Weds 20th June.

Happy shooting!!

P
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Re: Comp #89 GEOMETRY

Post by yachtsman1 »

My entry this month was taken earlier this month during a 3 day trip to Salford quays, taken on the only day the sun shone.
Eric.
Attachments
g6_edited-1.jpg
g6_edited-1.jpg (139.04 KiB) Viewed 10207 times
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

"Multi-Faceted" shot at the Art Gallery in Manchester:
Best regards

John
Matthew
Initiate
Initiate
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by Matthew »

My entry was taken a few weeks ago . A Mormon church near San Diego
Matthew
geometry.jpg
geometry.jpg (158.72 KiB) Viewed 10174 times
Stu B
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Stu B »

Geometry (Greek γεωμετρία; geo = earth, metria = measure) is a part of mathematics concerned with questions of size, shape, and relative position of figures
Attachments
Geometry.jpg
Geometry.jpg (226.1 KiB) Viewed 10148 times
Regards

Stuart....
bazzasmeg
Photographer
Photographer

Post by bazzasmeg »

Knaresborough Station.jpg
Knaresborough Station.jpg (224.72 KiB) Viewed 10117 times
Knaresborough Station support stanchions
mancunian61

Post by mancunian61 »

Mixed signals!

DSCF5684 Ipiccy.jpg
DSCF5684 Ipiccy.jpg (102.72 KiB) Viewed 10105 times
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

Under My Umbrella
Attachments
20110907_32 - Copy.JPG
20110907_32 - Copy.JPG (64.31 KiB) Viewed 10070 times
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
KEASLA
Photographer
Photographer

Post by KEASLA »

My Flickr My Twitter

As always, stern, stern but fair
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Mill Colonnade, Karlovy Vary, Prague
Mill-Colonnade-Karlovy-Vary.jpg
Mill-Colonnade-Karlovy-Vary.jpg (121.18 KiB) Viewed 10046 times
Tracey
pammie
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by pammie »

Thanks to all that entered. I wonder how many of you are going out and about with your cameras with this awful weather we are getting. Longest day today too, and we haven't had a summer yet!

Eric - I like the blocky pattern of the tower blocks (albeit posh tower blocks!) and the repetition of 3. The sky is reasonable, but I feel a little more could have been acheived by choosing a different viewpoint, to get some different perspective. I think perhaps more directional light in the early morning or evening could have enhanced the image. All in all a good effort and a good subject.

John - multi faceted indeed! I like the restricted colour palette in this one, and find it interesting that the floor and seating are at the top of the image, not the bottom where you would expect them to be. A very good geometric example and well seen and taken.

Matthew - I love the spires and angular shapes to this church, innovative architecture. The crisp white stands our well from the blue sky, it almost looks like a card cutout somehow. The lighting is quite strong, so some loss of detail on the stonework, but nonetheless an excellent example of geometric shapes.

Stu - I do like the strong bold lines and shapes in this image. The viewpoint gives the building strength and a good base for the tapering tower, good use of perspective. Restricted colours suit this subject, concentrating the eye on the shapes.

bazzasmeg - Good perspective on this one, and a repeating pattern draws the eye down the whole image. I like the mixture of linear pillars with the curves of ironwork, mirrored by the curve of the tunnel beyond. Well seen and taken!

mancunian 61 - now we have lines, curves and squares! Red is such a dominant colour, but has been used here to act as a backdrop to the brass plates, which stand out well. The diagonal line of where the levers meet the grey curved bits is well placed and a strong component of the image.

Janice - Good strong linear pattern from the central portion of the umbrella, which I like with the spiral (spring) on. Again, limited colours really focus your eye on the composition of the image. I feel it was a good choice not to place the centre of the umbrella in the centre of the image, it has more strenght compositionally as you have presented it.

keasla - I love the compostion of this one, the symmetry is great. There would also have been some great reflection images in those glazed panels. The symmetry is broken by the statue, which has a great lead in with the reddish coloured ramp in front of it. The blues and orangey-reds contrast very well too.

Tracey - As bazzasmeg's image - great perspective and those columns really draw your eye down to the back of the image. That figure is so important, it adss scale, and I like the circular clocks as a contrast to all the linear structures. I also think the plants creeping in help soften the image a little. Beautiful colour range.

So, I have to pick a winner from these images, and there were a lot of good strong images here. In reverse order we have

3rd - Stu

2nd - John

1st - Tracey - Well done!

It's now up to Tracey to chose the next subject and judge the next comp. Once again, thanks to all who entered and I hope you had fun with it

Cheers Pammie x
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Many thanks for that Pammie and we'll all look forward to seeing what Tracey has in store for us next!
Best regards

John
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Thanks Pammie for making me the winner, totally unexpected, there were some really good images to choose from. Sorry for the delayed response, I've only just got back from being away for a couple of days. I'll have a think about the next competition subject and will post asap.

Tracey