Forum Competition # 94 - ALBUM COVERS

Enter our forum competitions here
keith richardson
Committee Member
Committee Member

Forum Competition # 94 - ALBUM COVERS

Post by keith richardson »

Hi everyone,
It is getting more and more difficult to find a subject that hasn't been done already, but here goes...

Imagine that you have been asked to produce a brand new cover for a new CD version of any classic album that you like.
The Album must be a real album, and the image can obviously depict either something relating to the title of the album, or just the band, or both. I am sure that we all have favourite bands and albums that we would like to portray.

There must be literally thousands of ideas to choose from, so let your imagination and creativity run wild.
Closing date is Midnight on the 25th of September

Good Luck,
Keith.

I know i said CD, it doesn't have to be in square format by the way. And although it is tempting try not to just do a copy of the original artwork.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Forum Competition # 94 - ALBUM COVERS

Post by John »

In the 1960s, record designs were limited and very often were pictures of the artist or pictures of pretty girls. So here's my homage to the late 1960s, well, 1967 to be exact, with a new cover for Bob Crewe's album Music To Watch Girls By.
Best regards

John
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Post by yachtsman1 »

For me the choice was endless, ditched my first effort in favour of this one. For those interested, the picture was constructed using PTE software, never could get my head around layers in Elements.
Regards Eric.
Attachments
chillout re-sized.jpg
chillout re-sized.jpg (85.37 KiB) Viewed 10783 times
BydoR9
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by BydoR9 »

The Who's Quadrophenia - an easy target! (b'bum...) ;-]
Attachments
quadrophenia.jpg
quadrophenia.jpg (115.98 KiB) Viewed 10776 times
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

'Viva Elvis - The Album'
Link to original album cover - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Viva-Elvis-Pres ... 84&sr=1-22

Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
Matthew
Initiate
Initiate
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by Matthew »

Going far back to 1973.
Attachments
Tubular bells.jpg
Tubular bells.jpg (172.36 KiB) Viewed 10725 times
stelee
Initiate
Initiate

Post by stelee »

Available from the i-Tunes Store.
Attachments
_DSC2582.jpg
_DSC2582.jpg (175.87 KiB) Viewed 10707 times
bazzasmeg
Photographer
Photographer

Post by bazzasmeg »

The Beatles, Yellow Submarine.
Best regards, Barry
Attachments
The beatles.jpg
The beatles.jpg (207.87 KiB) Viewed 10698 times
kevinlowe
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by kevinlowe »

Kevin
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Sadly, just one image only please from each entrant. Please feel free to repost the second image in the Images section.
Best regards

John
PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by PhilipHowe »

Been a bit busy, so think I missed the deadline.
TheFall-LIVE-Adaps.jpg
TheFall-LIVE-Adaps.jpg (161.14 KiB) Viewed 10603 times
http://philiphowe.co.uk
http://facebook.com/PhilipHowe

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
Free Dropbox account link! http://db.tt/XvrZgQ68
keith richardson
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by keith richardson »

Hi Everyone,

Thank you to all those who entered.
It is becoming harder to come up with a new subjects and themes for these comps and I hoped that combining a bit of graphic design with your photography wouldn't put too many of you off from having a go. Glad to see that a few people tried their hand.

So on to the judging, ( the bit I hate ),

John.
I am old enough to remember the days when they thought a pretty girl on the cover was all that was needed to sell an album. I remember before we had 'Now thats what I call Rubbish #', we had all those dreadful 'top of the pops' compilation albums with a bikini clad girl standing on the front for no reason whatsoever, not to mention the 'Bert Kampfert' and 'whats his name and tijuana brass' ones.
Not sure if this album fell into that category originally but the title suits.
A very nice portrait of Chloe (?) that suits the album style well, although I am not to sure if the violin was added later as it looks a tad out of joint.

Yachtsman.
Well the first comment I would make is that I am not sure how you produced this, ( using PTE ), but I would definitely look at getting to grips with Layers as the results would be much better. A nice idea, and it fits the name of the album nicely but I think the way it has been put together lets the final image down quite significantly.
Also, and this is just nitpicking, you spelt McCartney wrong. The record company might pull you up on that.

BydoR9.
Even if you hadn't put the title on this I would still have known which album it was supposed to be. Although not a direct copy of the original it does contain many of the bands more recognisable trade marks. The picture of the moped is nice and ideal for the image. The vignetting effect adds nicely to the look too.
As a cover though, I think that the 'target' is far too dominant and occupies a little too much of the frame.

Paul.
As always the first thing you notice about your pictures is the quality of the image. Very professional and polished looking. Even the background with the vintage car adds to the period feel of an Elvis cover. Not sure if the legion of Elvis fans would like the plastic subject but it definitely sums up the album for me. And you get two elvis' for the price of one.

Matthew.
Actually I was thinking of what I would do if someone else had picked this theme, and this idea was one that came to mind. The SRT and Tubular Bells, definitely one to put together. The top of the SRT is a little overblown and overexposed but you have covered this well with the title. It sits nicely in the square frame too.

Stelee.
Nicely spotted image, well caught and nicely exposed. The reflections from the tuba and the sheet music light his face up nicely and the image fits very nicely into the square format. It is obviously also ideal for the cover of this album which needless to say I have never heard of until now.

Bazzameg.
Obviously an ideal subject for this competition. A closer view, or one where the 'submarine' totally dominated the image would have suited it better I think, as the background is too distracting, especially when the lighting is on the buildings leaving the main subject in shadow. Can't say that it doesn't fit the brief though.

Kevinlowe.
Aaaarggghh, The Cure, Staring at the sea. One of the ex-wifes all time favourite bands / albums /videos / and dvds all rolled into one. Needless to say I detest the thing with a passion.
But personal considerations aside, I think you have done a great job of summing it all up in one nice simple image. The only redeeming factor for me of the original was the cover, which I always thought was a brilliant portrait. But this would do just as well I think as the genuine article.

PhilipHowe.
Well it definitely does the job for which it was intended with a nicely captured live image that I think would do well as the actual cover if they decided to do a live album of the gig. Although it is just as likely to be the cover of any bootleg albums that may be popping up. Nicely captured live image in what I assume were not ideal conditions.
Unfortunately you did miss the deadline so in fairness I cannot consider it as a an entry, sorry.

So my final choice is...

Third place Matthew. with Tubular bells

Second Place Stelee who jumps in front of Matthew only because of the quality of the image.

First place KevinLowe. A simple and straightforward image that fulfills the brief very well indeed. Despite the not very fond memories it inspires.

Over to you Kevin for the next subject.

Thanks again to everyone who entered and will see you all later tonight for the first monthly comp of the year, after which even fewer of you will probably be talking to me. :-]

regards,
keith.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Well done Kevin. We'll look forward to whatever challenge you throw at us!

Many thanks Keith, well thought out comments. This was an interesting competition and I for one enjoyed putting together something. Just for interest, Chloe was actually holding the violin in my shot, but I think she was a bit unfamiliar and uncomfortable with it. That probably shows.
Best regards

John
PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by PhilipHowe »

Keith, I had the idea that if I won one, I'd ask for album covers, however, not thinking anyone else would come up with it, I hadn't actually thought what album I'd do!

Good comp this one.
http://philiphowe.co.uk
http://facebook.com/PhilipHowe

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
Free Dropbox account link! http://db.tt/XvrZgQ68
kevinlowe
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by kevinlowe »

Blimey, thankyou. I didn't expect that, but I'm very pleased. Well, at least until I have to judge the next one... ;)

I will get the thinking cap out of the cupboard and post a new comp later.
Kevin