Enter our forum competitions here
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Re: Forum Competition #101 - Decay

Post by yachtsman1 »

Another couple of suggestions
There is always a partisan element in internal judging, particularly where there is only one judge, which in my experience is why camera clubs use a judge outside the club. One way around this would be for the contributors to be the judges, obviously they couldn't vote for their own entry. or alternatively, make the entries anonymous, but I suppose this could be difficult.
Regards Eric
Critical Mass
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Critical Mass »

Thanks for the vote, it's appreciated, especially still being a lurker and not so active. Will have a look through the archives and try to come up with something that hasn't been done hopefully before but if not something not so recent. Not sure how my critique and marking will go as I don't really see myself qualified enough to pass judgement, but we'll give it a go. Thanks again for the vote :-d
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

You're very welcome and it's good to see a wider field of posters contributing. It was a cracking shot!

We'll look foward to seeing a new thread with your new competition!
Best regards

John
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Hi Eric

Regarding your comments:
yachtsman1 wrote:There is always a partisan element in internal judging
Just for the record, I base my judging purerly on the image, irrespective of who the author is, infact for this competition I chose Critical Mass's image, I don't even know who this is, I don't think he/she is a member of the club, if they are, then my apologies to them for not recognising their forum name to the flesh and bone person.

I just didn't want you to think that I was choosing winners based on if I knew them or not or if they were members or not, all of that is irrelevant, it's the image itself that counts and I'm sure I speak for most, if not everyone who has judged these competitions.

I get what you're saying though, and you're right when it comes to the club's monthly / annual competitions, we do get external judges in to remove any element of biasedness (is that a word :? ) but for these friendly forum competitions, I'm sure everyone tries their best to be impartial and base their scoring on the image and not the person, I would hate to think this was not the case.

Regards
Tracey
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Tracey McGovern wrote: we do get external judges in to remove any element of biasedness (is that a word :? )

No. It would be "to remove any element of bias".
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

yachtsman1 wrote: Another couple of suggestions
There is always a partisan element in internal judging, particularly where there is only one judge, which in my experience is why camera clubs use a judge outside the club. One way around this would be for the contributors to be the judges, obviously they couldn't vote for their own entry. or alternatively, make the entries anonymous, but I suppose this could be difficult.
Difficult and perhaps unfeasible given the forum software we work with.

I think the forum competitions we run work well, so no real need to change much. It would be good to see more people entering. I take Philip's point that many people may be deterred by thinking that their photographs 'aren't good enough', but it's all just a bit of fun and I don't think anyone takes this competition as seriously as the Monthlies / Annuals.
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

If my photos are good enough then anyones are! I don't consider myself to be anywhere near up to standard at the moment - however - I have won - twice!! This comp is a lot of fun and it encourages one to try. I am learning a lot from the comments made by those who do the judging. Judging is hard but it really makes you look at the image in more depth and that is a good thing. I have always found the comments to be fair, constructive and impartial and imho don't think that any change is needed in that respect. Enjoy the comp for what it is and learn from what you get from it. :-d

Janice
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

It is all about enjoying photography and it's part of the learning process. I love to share images and getting feedback is great. I don't think anyone is being partisan either, there's nothing to be gained by being so.

From time to time we may find a prize for these competitions, not as a regular thing or as the main point of it, but just to add another layer of fun and spice to the arrangement!

Just join in and enjoy it guys, don't get bogged down by technicalities! :-]
Best regards

John
allanhamer

Post by allanhamer »

Well done Critical Mass great shot. I've also not had the time due to work to visit the forums much, let alone competitions. Think the format and to e are fine as is personally :-)