Forum Competition #113 - The Seven Virtues

Enter our forum competitions here
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Forum Competition #113 - The Seven Virtues

Post by John »

A while back we covered the seven deadly sins, but this time we need to think about the Seven Virtues. You choose which virtue you want to represent and then give me your interpretation in one excellent image.

The virtues to choose from are: Chastity, Temperance, Charity, Diligence, Patience, Kindness and Humility. If you are in any doubt as to what these mean, then this is the definition to follow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_virtues

The deadline is midnight on Monday 16th September 2013, a little longer this time to allow time to make a new image if you need to. Please. everyone make a stab at it, and you might just win, but even if you don't it should be fun.
Best regards

John
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Re: Forum Competition #113 - The Seven Virtues

Post by yachtsman1 »

Just back from holiday & expected a flood of entries to look at before chosing mine, so as there aren't any, looks like I'm first again. We spent an enjoyable day in Bath, where we were able to motor & park in the city centre, unlke most major cities. It was a hot day & the streets were thronged with people all enjoying the sights & sounds. We rounded a corner outside the Abbey & came across the picture shown here, it was an instinctive shot as I didn't wish to intrude on what was going on. The man in the middle must have been suffering from some degerative disease with two others comforting him, so I suppose the virtue displayed comes under the heading "Kindness".
Eric.

b24 by E & MS, on Flickr
Dennis G

Post by Dennis G »

Lochinver RNLI Crew Boat, Highlands, Scotland

I'm not sure much narrative is needed, but in my opinion the subject of the photograph epitomises pretty much all of the seven virtues although the two virtues that stand out for me are firstly Humility and secondly Diligence so these are the two virtues I’m assigning my photograph to, the crews serving the length and breadth of our coastline in mostly treacherous conditions again just my opinion are Britain’s unsung heroes.

I will be out of the country on judging day until the 26th September so i completely accept and understand if this entry is not chosen as the winner i just wanted to share this one with you, that said if it is chosen and you can wait until the 26th / 27th of September for the next competition i will post the next subject then.
Attachments
DSCF0977.JPG
DSCF0977.JPG (231.68 KiB) Viewed 9982 times
Kind Regards

Dennis
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

Patience
20120624_14a.jpg
20120624_14a.jpg (191.81 KiB) Viewed 9968 times
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair

Post by melbarnes »

I took this shot in India on the outskirts of the Taj Mahal in Agra; it shows the contrast between the western tourists who are financially capable of taking such holidays, and this gentleman whose only possessions seemed to be the clothes he walked in and the bag over his shoulder. Yet he seemed happy and content with life, and at peace with himself. Such humility - the category for this photo.
Attachments
Humility.jpg
Humility.jpg (240.43 KiB) Viewed 9941 times
"Aim for the moon - if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."
gwenbarnes
Initiate
Initiate

Post by gwenbarnes »

I came across this father and son in Grenada. They were steadfastly removing the red mace covering from nutmegs to eke out a living, so I guess it puts this photograph into the "Diligence" category.
Attachments
Diligence.jpg
Diligence.jpg (243.4 KiB) Viewed 9923 times
Phil Jones

Post by Phil Jones »

Hi All.
I took this photo at Haydock Park racecourse after one of their summer concerts, ( no prizes for guessing by whom! ) Anyway, the expression on the guy's face made me think of my own days in security when " patience " certainly was a virtue at times!
Regards,
Phil.
Attachments
Patience.jpg
Patience.jpg (112.27 KiB) Viewed 9885 times
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Hi John

I've been racking my brains for a suitable photo for this, so when I went out on Saturday to the Eddie Stobart 'StobartFest 2013' I was looking around for virtuous subjects. I hope you like this... :D

Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

I was worried for a while that virtues were not on the ADAPS agenda, but I'm pleased that we've found some virtuous members after all..... :)

Judging is considering how well the images fulfil the criteria and also the actual quality of the photography. Not easy with these, but here we go.

Eric (yachtsman 1) started us off well with a straightforward shot in a technical sense, but nonetheless one that speaks "compassion" to me, so "kindness" fulfils the brief very well. I'm less convinced by the John Major lookalike, who seems a little disconnected from the emotional contact of the other gentleman.

Dennis G offers us humility and diligence, or at least the potential of these as we look at the lifeboat waiting for a crisis. A well exposed and colourful shot, although without human presence more of a dictionary definition rather than an emotional statement. It again fulfils the criteria.

Janice offers patience and we can clearly see where she's coming from with that. I think this is actually one of the best images photographically, with its great composition and keen observation. Janice is becoming a photographic force to be reckoned with, so watch out in our monthly competitions!

Mel's shot shows humility of a simple soul, with presumably simple expectations from life. It poses the question of whether, with all our possessions, we have lost as much as we have gained when the simple man can be at peace with the world, where we can be so stressed. It's a well thought out message.

Gwen has diligence in mind with her shot, although we will have to assume that they are actually being diligent in their work. Again, a reflection on the simple life of simple, honest work. My only hesitation is our assumption that someone doing something is actually being diligent in their performance of the task. Does it always follow?

Phil expounds patience for this security guard and I have no doubt that they are sorely tested on a continual basis. I read from this that after a concert of Madness this guy is absolutely fed up to the back teeth with noise and screaming fans. I think he is exhibiting patience and Phil might have been the last straw taking his picture....but patience prevailed. Photographically, the other really good image along with Janice's. Phil looks like another hidden talent that will soon grow into a formidable photographer.

Paul has found us another form of patience, a rather less comfortable one for sure. Good observation, with a nice light touch of humour. As we would expect, the technique is flawless, but I'm afraid it doesn't win this time.

So, after mulling it over very carefully, my conclusion is that my winner will be Paul's brother Phil Jones!!! 5S
My runner up is without doubt Janice Freeman
And my thanks to everyone who joined is and showed the mettle of the Virtuous ADAPSers! (Is that a word?)
Best regards

John
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

Some great images once again in this competition. Many congratulations Phil. Some very encouraging words from John, and great judging. It was really good to see some new entries to the forum comp. If you haven't tried it yet - you should do. The feedback that is given, imho, is fair and always helpful. It is a great way to improve. I look forward to seeing what Phil chooses and - despite being in a foreign land, hope to be having another go.

:-d 5S

Jan.
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

John wrote: Janice is becoming a photographic force to be reckoned with, so watch out in our monthly competitions!
John wrote: Phil looks like another hidden talent that will soon grow into a formidable photographer.
Good judging John. And I totally agree with your comments.

Well done Phil. :D
John wrote: Paul has ..... Good observation, with a nice light touch of humour. As we would expect, the technique is flawless.
You flatterer you.... 8) :lol:
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
Stbourne
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Stbourne »

Well done Phil.
Phil Jones

Post by Phil Jones »

Hi All.
I'm truly stunned & humbled! Thank you John! Also a huge thank you to everyone for their kind comments and well done to Janice & all the other entries.
Now to think of the next competition!

Regards,

Phil.
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

This was a tough competition, I struggled, does this mean I'm not virtuous :oops:

Well done to everyone who entered, especially to Phil and Janice, although hats off to everyone else. John, you have given some really good judging and feedback here and made us all think outside the box, even if we found the box to be empty, in my case :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tracey
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

I struggled, does this mean I'm not virtuous
Tracey, you are Vice-Chair.... :)
Best regards

John