Forum Competition #115: SONG TITLES

Enter our forum competitions here
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Forum Competition #115: SONG TITLES

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Blimey Baz - what happened to Jim Reeves...?
bazzasmeg
Photographer
Photographer

Post by bazzasmeg »

I did not have any pictures of dead cowboy, miserable people or the like LOL
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Song: We Three (Dick Robertson, Nelson Cogane, Sammy Mysels) Chappell-Morris Limited
Performer: The Four Seasons
Album: Live on Stage (Vee Jay VJLP-1154) November 1965
Matrix # 65-8798
050 We Three.jpg
050 We Three.jpg (364.08 KiB) Viewed 9663 times
We Three, we're all alone
Living in a memory
My echo (my echo)
My shadow (My shadow)
And me
Best regards

John
keith richardson
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by keith richardson »

Big Brother ...(As in 1984, not channel 4 ).
From the album Diamond dogs by David Bowie.

Big Brother.jpg
Big Brother.jpg (91.44 KiB) Viewed 9660 times
keith.
PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by PhilipHowe »

SportHurts.jpg
SportHurts.jpg (184.35 KiB) Viewed 9653 times
Roy Orbison - Love Hurts
http://philiphowe.co.uk
http://facebook.com/PhilipHowe

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
Free Dropbox account link! http://db.tt/XvrZgQ68
gwenbarnes
Initiate
Initiate
Spam Protection: No

Post by gwenbarnes »

Hi to all forum competition entrants,

Thank you all for your entries in this week's competition.

Because I have little knowledge (currently!) about photography, I am judging this competition on three things; immediate impact, composition, and interpretation of the song title.

Here are my comments on each one:

Mel: "Lady in Red" - when I first saw this I thought of "singing in the rain" ! I like the composition Mel, but to me "Lady in Red" brings images of a more mature lady dancing seductively, rather than a pretty young girl posing. In any case, you're my husband, and I daren't vote for you!

Yachtsman 1: "Ferry Across the Mersey" - Eric, an excellent crystal clear photo of the Liver Building and the pedestrian bridge leading to the ferry; it's a real shame that the only hint of a ferry is the banner across the bridge.

Donna: "All Out of Love" - this photo is a super interpretation of the song chosen and definitely has the "aaaw" impact - you can't help feeling sorry for this sad looking animal! A great first attempt at the forum competition .

Adam: "Bulbs" - another lovely clear photo, with well balanced colours Adam; I suppose if I had to nit-pick, it would be to say that there is only one bulb, yet the song is called "bulbs".

Mrs. Sales "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay" - great composition here. I like the obvious devotion of the young girl and her dog.

Collier15: "Sailing" - congratulations on your lateral thinking Michael - I like your style!

Gill Blower: "Jump" - well Gill, this definitely interprets the title of the song 100% without any doubt, and made an immediate impact on me! The composition is super - what pretty girls.

Simon-vtr: "Bridge Over Troubled Water" - an absolutely stunning night shot Simon, at a nice angle too - great composition with colourful reflections in the Firth of Forth. This would undoubtedly make a super photo for a tourism advert for Scotland. Not sure about the "troubled water" - it looks quite calm to me, but nevertheless a great photo.

Janice Freeman: "Stranger on the Shore" - I love the effect you've captured with the rocks and ripples of the water pools Janice, and the long shadow creates atmosphere

Phil Jones: "While my Guitar Gently Weeps": This is a great crystal clear shot Phil, and my husband says the guitarist knows how to play the guitar (bending two strings on a Les Paul Studio at the 15th fret!). It's a crying shame that the guitar isn't weeping - but you wouldn't want to pour water on such an expensive guitar, would you?!!

Stbourne: "Forever Autumn" - These are beautiful autumnal colours and such a lovely composition - the kind of photo you usually see on an expensive birthday card.

Critical Mass: "Ray of Light" - another photo which describes the song title perfectly. I would have expected the central ray of light to project further along the floor than those from the windows do, since it is higher up. So I don't know if this has been added in Photoshop, but if it has, it's a brilliant edit.

Tracey McGovern: "Guns for Hire" - yet another of your perfect portraits Tracey - I really admire your work. Great impact photo and composition. If I had to be a tiny bit picky re the interpretation I note that there's only one gun.

bazzasmeg: "The Tide is High" - an amazing photoshop job Barry (unless I've missed the floods at Media City?), and cleverly conceived. A good interpretation of the song title too!

And here are my results:

It was really hard to judge this competition because there were so many good photographs, and in my mind you are all winners, but here are my chosen favourites:

3rd place goes to Barry "The Tide is High" for impact and interpretation of the song.

2nd place goes to Donna ("All Out of Love") for composition and interpretation of the song.

1st place goes to Gill Blower ("Jump") for interpretation of the song, composition, and impact.

The close runner up is Julie ("Sitting on the Dock of the Bay").

Now it's your turn to dream up a theme for the next forum competition Gill - good luck!

Apologies to Mel :-)

Gwen Barnes
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Thanks Gwen, but don't forget the images on page 2 of the thread. :)
Best regards

John
gwenbarnes
Initiate
Initiate

Post by gwenbarnes »

Sorry folks - I typed the comments in separate files each day, and left the ones from page 2 out of the master file by mistake. Here they are:

John: "We Three (fun guys!)" - a good interpretation of the song title. Super contrasting colours - I like it.

Keith: "Big Brother" - another excellent photoshop production - how amazing - how do you do it? Great composition and imagination.

Philip: "Love Hurts" - Ouch! An original interpretation of one my favourite songs. I hope these injuries are photoshopped and not real.

Gwen
PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by PhilipHowe »

Gwen, I had a makeup artist who adfed the injuries.
Happy birthday by the way.
http://philiphowe.co.uk
http://facebook.com/PhilipHowe

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
Free Dropbox account link! http://db.tt/XvrZgQ68
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by yachtsman1 »

This was one of my alternate entries, but I eventually thought it too obvious, ah well you can't win em all. Personally, "All Out of Love" did it for me :oops:
Good comp' & comments.
Eric
Ferry Across the Mersey 2 by E & MS, on Flickr
gwenbarnes
Initiate
Initiate

Post by gwenbarnes »

Phillip - I didn't think of that - I need make-up to cover my marks up! Thanks for the birthday wish.

Eric - shame you changed your mind! It was difficult to choose between "All out of love" and "Jump" - it was a close call.

Gwen
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

Thanks Gwen and well judged. Enjoyed this comp - well done to all the entrants, some great images. Congratulations on winning Gill - loved the image and the high key effect. Next! (please)

:-d Jan
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
Gill Blower
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Gill Blower »

Thanks Gwen! This is the first Forum Comp I gave won. :-O
bazzasmeg
Photographer
Photographer

Post by bazzasmeg »

There were a lot of quality images to go through. Well judged. Well done Gill

Barry
Mrs Sales

Post by Mrs Sales »

Thank you for the kind words about my entry, that's given me a bit of confidence :]

that Jump image is fantastic - well done
... //(*_*)\\ ++++++ //(*_*)\\ ... Image