Forum Competitions #116 Textures

Enter our forum competitions here
Gill Blower
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Forum Competitions #116 Textures

Post by Gill Blower »

Thanks to everyone who took part.....will post results tonight. It's going to be a difficult decision!
Gill Blower
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Gill Blower »

This is the hard bit.....I do not feel qualified to judge other peoples work. Every image has its own merits and fits the brief so it has been difficult to choose a winner but here goes...

Adam - Chromed Metal
We often miss small details of larger objects and this close-up shot has plenty of detail. The depth of field used has brought the image forward, separating it well from the background. It may be that you wanted to show the presence of a person on the left hand side but I find it a bit distracting and perhaps the highlights could be toned down a little. Well composed image.

John Riley - Shoe on Tweed
Great idea John with similar textures used to good effect. I don't know if the original was such a close crop but I feel it is a little tight in the frame here. With the textures being similar this could have appeared a little flat but the lighting has lifted the image. It is pin sharp and the shoe is placed at a good angle in the frame. Definitely fits the textures brief.

Mrs Sales
Looks like this image is from a trip to a harbour of some sort and like Adam you have spotted an opportunity to get a detailed shot. The image shows off several different textures with the frayed rope, nets and metal. The scene may have caught your attention as the bottle looks out of place and I can understand why you took the shot...I think it would have worked just as well without the bottle. The mono effect suits the subject. Popping colour is a personal thing but I think, on this occasion, it works okay with this image and emphasises what you wanted to portray.

Donna - Feathers, Straw and Paper
Well Donna, this is definitely the cutest entry! Your image has a warm tone and you have handled the light well. The depth of field has helped to separate the bird from the background. The textures for me are the bird and the straw it is sat on. A judge mentioned the other week that if there is print on a piece of paper, on a poster etc you automatically try to read it and can be a little distracting. An original take on an old theme, great idea.

Yachtsman1- roughly hewn log
Going in close has brought out the detail of the wood and the contrast of the greyish coloured outer bark and warmth of the freshly cut wood contrasts well. I would liked to have seen the whole 'circle' of wood or an even closer macro shot. The light has created shadows on the grooves cut into the wood which has provided depth and enhanced the patterns created by the saw

Mel Barnes
Mel has shown how you can create an image from the simple things in your own home. It's bright and colourful. The image is sharper at the front than it is towards the back which may be intentional. Good idea and even better when you can eat the props!

Gwen Barnes
Gwen, this is like 50 shades of brown! Really beautiful colours in the bark's texture. It looks like you were in a shaded area with bright sunlight coming in from the left and the highlights are a touch over exposed - I would be tempted to do a close crop of a section of the tree. Lovely warm feel to the image.

Dennis G - Wood and Water
The simplicity of the image appeals to me. It's abstract presentation is very contemporary and the colours blend well together. There are 4 textures here each with its own block of colour. This is an image I would probably have walked past and missed its potential.

Stbourne - PG Tips
Another great original idea and one I have returned to on more than one occasion. Even though I do really like the idea of this shot, and the monochrome conversion, in the end I would have preferred a bit more of the image to be in focus.

Janice Freeman - Knitted Wool
Janice we can always rely on you for a bright, colourful image. Repeating patterns make an image stronger but my eye is drawn to the brown row which is not as uniform as the other rows. Another simple, eye catching idea.

AndyB - Looks Inedible
I think something thought it was good enough to eat! Macro photography is not easy and something I have tried and so far failed at. The toadstool is not sharp from front to back which may be what you were intending?. The background is nicely diffused but there is a blade of grass, bottom left, that has caught the light and drags the eye away from the main subject. The gills are in focus and the overall colours are a good, natural representation.

Collier15 - Copper, Steel and Aluminium
There are lots of textures in this very busy image. The right hand side of the image looks slightly out of focus. A subtle, muted reflection at the top of the shot lifts the composition. Intrigued to know where this was taken?

Walter Brooks
Another example of a well executed image of simple, everyday things. The overall colour is a little bit over saturated for me but that's just personal choice. It may work well in black and white? The lighting has been handled very well and in particular the reflection of the light has not 'blown out' and is well exposed. Simple but effective.

Tracey McGovern
Lovely textures in the bark of this tree. Can't tell whether you have used flash or it is natural sunlight but the exposure has been well handled. The textures are enhanced by the light casting shadows on the rough bark. The only thing I may have done is cropped it a bit and use a square format, again that's personal choice on composition. Well executed.

In reverse order:-
3rd - Adam, Chromed Metal
2nd - Mrs Sales
1st - Dennis G, Wood and Water

Over to you Dennis....well done 5S
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Post by Janice Freeman »

Some great images here and very well judged with some really useful comments. Interesting to see all the different versions of textures - some obvious and others unusual and inventive. Well done Dennis.

Jan :-]
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Great judging Gill, some really good observations with constructive feedback.

Well done to Dennis for his winning entry, that was my favourite image too and fitted the brief perfectly.

Tracey
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair

Post by melbarnes »

Congratulations to you, Denis, for a crystal clear and colourful photo. I'm now looking forward to your chosen subject.

The forum competition is great for us beginners to enter; it gives us a subject to think about and interpret, but most importantly to get the valued constructive criticism of the ADAPS experienced members.

Cheers, Mel.
"Aim for the moon - if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Hi Mel
melbarnes wrote:but most importantly to get the valued constructive criticism of the ADAPS experienced members.
I think we prefer to use the term "constructive feedback" :wink:

Tracey x
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair

Post by melbarnes »

Hi Tracey,

I agree totally that "constructive feedback" is a much better term - it doesn't imply negativity - and it's much more diplomatic and accepted. Provided it isn't described in a hostile way, I also appreciate being told what's wrong with my photos - that helps me learn (providing I get to know "the cure") .

I looked up the word "criticism" in the Oxford dictionary online, and one definition is:

"the expression of disapproval of someone or something on the basis of perceived faults or mistakes"

and the second definition is:

"the analysis and judgement of the merits and faults of a literary or artistic work" - and this latter definition is the one I meant in my ramblings, which was used a lot in the company that I used to work for.

If I'm criticised in a hostile way, then those who criticise ought to know that I'm a Pie Eater from Pemberton ....... :-)))

Thanks for the correction.

Mel x
"Aim for the moon - if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

I'm looking forward to seeing what Dennis G is going to set for the next competition. 8)
Best regards

John
Dennis G

Post by Dennis G »

Hello everyone,

Thank you Gill for selecting my image as the winning entry, have to say i'm more than a little shocked i didn't think it had a chance considering the strong pool of entires, also thank you to all for the good feedback and comments they are appreciated, apologies for the delay only just picked up the results so with that said one of my favourite themes is landscapes therefore with that in mind the next theme is based on rocky coastlines or shores from the most dramatic to peaceful and calm lochs or lakes.

I look forward to seeing your entires and good luck to all.

Dennis
Kind Regards

Dennis