Forum Competition #122 - "A Blast From The Past"

Enter our forum competitions here
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Forum Competition #122 - "A Blast From The Past"

Post by yachtsman1 »

After much deliberation my chosen subject is "A Blast From The Past", what I'm looking for are pictures of something at least 100 years old. Buildings, Cars, People, objects, in fact anything at least 100 years old. Hope this stirs the juices or your archives. Closes Wednesday 12th February 2014 12.00 midnight.
Regards Eric. ;-]
Phil Ingham
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Forum Competition #122 - "A Blast From The Past"

Post by Phil Ingham »

This was taken on the ADAPS Manchester walkabout last year. The Old English name for the district of Ancoats was "ana cots" which meant "old cottages". I believe this street was built around 1844 to house the Polish, Jewish and Italian immigrant workers that came to work in the hat factory's in the area. This street is commonly known as "little Italy" because virtually all house holders were Italian. Of note, my grandparents lived in this street with my mum and aunt. They spent most of their childhood playing in this street. This street was originally named "Sanitary Street" but was later re-named "Anita Street" :roll:
Attachments
599321_299668666842193_1505220563_n.jpg
599321_299668666842193_1505220563_n.jpg (35.38 KiB) Viewed 10883 times
Donna
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Donna »

Ingleton Falls Trail - Ingleborough.

Trail opened on Good Friday, 11th April 1885. Taken in September 2013.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (147.29 KiB) Viewed 10856 times
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair

Post by melbarnes »

This was taken at Beamish Museum; I was the first in when the gates opened, and I rushed to the end of the street to ensure that I got a shot of an empty street. I took the shot low down to get a better view, and was pleased with the result after processing it in Photomatix.
Attachments
Beamish Victorian Street
Beamish Victorian Street
Beamish Victorian Street.jpg (239.35 KiB) Viewed 10833 times
"Aim for the moon - if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."
lisacroft
Initiate
Initiate

Post by lisacroft »

This prehistoric burial mound is a few miles from my mothers house in Thornhill near Stirling.
I only had my cheap little Traveler camera bought at Aldi in my pocket but could'nt resist taking a photograph with the yellows of the rapeseed and welsh poppies.
Attachments
Yellows at prehistoric burial mound.jpg
Yellows at prehistoric burial mound.jpg (173.08 KiB) Viewed 10799 times
Stbourne
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Stbourne »

Barton Arcade in Deansgate Manchester was built in 1871, and is a beautiful Victorian structure of iron and glass. The arcade was extensively restored in the 1980s.
Was shown this place on Manchester outing by Jared.
Attachments
Barton Shopping Arcade.jpg
Barton Shopping Arcade.jpg (240.98 KiB) Viewed 10780 times
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

20130728_126 - Copy.jpg
20130728_126 - Copy.jpg (241.79 KiB) Viewed 10770 times
Brimham Rocks is a unique collection of eroded rock covering an area of about 50 acres Some 320 million years ago, an enormous river cascaded sand and grit from granite mountains in northern Scotland and Norway, forming a delta which covered half of todays Yorkshire. Multiple layers of grit and sand along with rock crystals, built up to form the tough sandstone known as Millstone grit.
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
Dennis G

Post by Dennis G »

Flowerdale House, Gairloch, Scotland.

Flowerdale House is the family seat of the Mackenzies of Gairloch.

The original house was called Tigh Dige or Moat House. It was in a hollow below the mansion seen here and had a moat and drawbridge. The present house was built in 1738 for Sir Alexander Mackenzie and his wife, Janet. Their initials and the date are carved on the house. It was the first house in the district to have a slated roof and was then named Tigh Digh nam gorm Leac, Moat House of the blue slates. In 1904 an extension by Andrew Maitland and Son included the stepped gable and the large bow entrance addition at the front.

In 1745 the captain of a man-of-war, searching for Prince Charlie, invited the laird on board. The laird declined as he has was dining with guests on top of the high rock just behind the house, Creag a Chait (the cats rock), but the laird asked the captain to join them. The reply was a broadside to the house, the canon ball lodging in the gable end.

Fraser of Foyers, fleeing after Culloden, was hidden for some time in a secret recess in the house and In September 1921 the Prime Minister, David Lloyd George, was staying at Flowerdale House when he heard that Ireland had rejected the King and Empire. He called the cabinet at Inverness, the one and only time it met outside London.

Osgood Mackenzie (1842-1922), Hector's descendant, writing in 1922, states that tourists seeing the profusion of wild flowers in the lovely Baile Mor (Big Town or Village) Glen suggested it should be named Flowerdale but that during his life the house was only ever called Tigh Dige and the place Am Baile Mor.

The Mackenzie family are still resident in the house and still carry the title of Laird. hoped you enjoyed the history lesson to go with the photograph.
Attachments
Flowerdale House, Gairloch, Wester Ross, Highlands, Scotland.jpg
Flowerdale House, Gairloch, Wester Ross, Highlands, Scotland.jpg (233.79 KiB) Viewed 10737 times
Kind Regards

Dennis
gwenbarnes
Initiate
Initiate

Post by gwenbarnes »

This photo was taken on a tour of the National Parks in the USA last July.

The geyser is "Old Faithful", which is probably the most famous geyser in the world and is found in Yellowstone National Park. It was named by the members of the Washburn Expedition of 1870 because it is the most frequently erupting and predictable of the big geysers.

Old Faithful sends up 8,400 gallons as high as 184 feet on an average of every 85 minutes.
Attachments
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
Old Faithful.jpg (183.73 KiB) Viewed 10716 times
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

I currently have quite a collection of cartes-de-visite in my possession. These small prints were all the rage of the 1850s up to the turn of the century, so they are definitely well over 100 years old. Here's a small selection of them, chosen at random:
013 Cartes-de-Visite.jpg
013 Cartes-de-Visite.jpg (305.9 KiB) Viewed 10693 times
Best regards

John
Phil Jones

Post by Phil Jones »

Victorian-Architecture-in-Chester.jpg
Victorian-Architecture-in-Chester.jpg (102.7 KiB) Viewed 10682 times
Hi All.
I came across this while listening to a band playing on the band stand down by Chester's riverside. It never fails to amaze me how the Victorians designed even the most everyday things with such style!

Regards,

Phil.
Ian Yarwood
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Ian Yarwood »

This is my entry. After digging through old stuff I found this bike from the thundersprint in Northwich (a motorsport event held on a closed off sainsburys car park). I did some work on it to hopefully lift the bike from a rather cluttered background.
Attachments
Verdel_1912 1.jpg
Verdel_1912 1.jpg (186.97 KiB) Viewed 10630 times
Walter Brooks
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Walter Brooks »

IMG_0002.1.jpg
IMG_0002.1.jpg (142.72 KiB) Viewed 10573 times
Duckworth and Co. Factory 1896

W 8)

PS - to get this square on at the time would have meant risking life and limb on
a very busy A road.
“The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.”
― Dorothea Lange
KEASLA
Photographer
Photographer

Post by KEASLA »

The Ashton Memorial is a folly in Williamson Park, Lancaster, England built between 1907 and 1909 by millionaire industrialist Baron Ashton in memory of his second wife, Jessy, at a cost of over £80,000 (£4,588,000 in today's money). At around 150 feet tall, it dominates the Lancaster skyline and is visible for many miles around. It also offers spectacular views of the surrounding area including Morecambe Bay. The building is in the Edwardian Baroque style and was designed by John Belcher. It has been described as "England's grandest folly" and the "Taj Mahal of the North". The dome is externally of copper, the main stone used is Portland stone although the steps are of hard wearing granite from Cornwall. The external stonework is hung on a steel frame as found in modern buildings and only forms a weatherproof covering without being loadbearing.

Ashton Memorial Williamson Park by KEASLA, on Flickr
My Flickr My Twitter

As always, stern, stern but fair
collier15

Post by collier15 »

Haigh Hall is a historic country house in Haigh, Metropolitan Borough of Wigan, It has been designated a Grade II*listed building by English Heritage.[1] The hall, built between 1827 and 1840 by James Lindsay, 7th Earl of Balcarres, replaced an ancient manor house and was his family's home until 1947.
Attachments
Haigh Hall.jpg
Haigh Hall.jpg (187.47 KiB) Viewed 10540 times