Forum Competition#126 "Water Water Everywhere"

Enter our forum competitions here
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Forum Competition#126 "Water Water Everywhere"

Post by yachtsman1 »

I've thought about this for a couple of hours, looked through the ADAPS forum comp' archive & scoured the 'net. I had a shortlist of 3 & this one won. As the title suggests, anything to do with water, rivers, lakes, the sea, floods, fountains, even the water coming out of your tap. Unlike the current trend I'm not averse to milky waterfalls & seas, so the field is wide open.
Closing date Sunday 13th April midnight.
Eric.
Phil Ingham
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Forum Competition#126 "Water Water Everywhere"

Post by Phil Ingham »

bubbles.jpg
bubbles.jpg (83.6 KiB) Viewed 10799 times
Unedited. Abstract Water Drops.
KEASLA
Photographer
Photographer

Post by KEASLA »

Coke by KEASLA, on Flickr
My Flickr My Twitter

As always, stern, stern but fair
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

This is the view from inside our dishwasher, shot using the waterproof Pentax W90 compact. It's called "Dishwasher 4" being the fourth shot in the sequence of one shot every ten seconds for two minutes.
007 Dishwasher 4.jpg
007 Dishwasher 4.jpg (386.49 KiB) Viewed 10787 times
Best regards

John
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by yachtsman1 »

Now there's a coincidence, just got my Nikon monthly newsletter, found this article http://inframe.nikoncompetition.co.uk/T ... country=uk
Great minds think alike? :lol: :lol: :lol: No excuse now.
Eric.
lisacroft
Initiate
Initiate

Post by lisacroft »

We were en route to Brittany and waiting at Plymouth for the ferry. As we were a bit early, we went looking in the rockpools. My husband Garry was peering in a little too closely but he looks like he's merged in with the rockpool itself, there had been a high tide and the pools were everywhere with beautiful colours.
Attachments
1. Rockpool.JPG
1. Rockpool.JPG (184.84 KiB) Viewed 10758 times
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

High force.jpg
High force.jpg (181.4 KiB) Viewed 10739 times
The start of High Force in County Durham.
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair

Post by melbarnes »

This is Soper's Hole Marina in Tortola, taken whilst we were on honeymoon in the British Virgin Islands.
Attachments
Soper's Hole Marina, Tortola, British Virgin Islands.JPG
Soper's Hole Marina, Tortola, British Virgin Islands.JPG (179.39 KiB) Viewed 10645 times
"Aim for the moon - if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."
gwenbarnes
Initiate
Initiate

Post by gwenbarnes »

I took this shot in Aruba on a Caribbean cruise last year - Aruba is a beautiful island and very modern.
Attachments
Aruba.JPG
Aruba.JPG (130.46 KiB) Viewed 10621 times
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by yachtsman1 »

Hi folks the competition is now closed.
I did some preliminary pontificating, so I'll review that & come back with my final results. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Eric.
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by yachtsman1 »

My Competition Comments.
Competition 30th March 2014.
Closed Sunday 13th April 2014. Midnight
Subject “Water Water Everywhere”
In the same format as my last dissertation, please don't take my comments to heart, I find it difficult to be brief & after all, I know you wouldn't have submitted your image if you didn't think it stood a chance of winning.
1. Phil Ingham. Bubbles.
I love abstract type images, however in this case on my monitor it is slightly out of focus in parts, whether this was on purpose?.

2. Keasla. Coke.
Excellent image full of colour, wish I had the patience to setting up this type of shot.

3. John. Dishwasher.
I saw this series of shots when they were posted elsewhere on the ADAPs web site. Now I have to look at it in detail I wondered about the light source, I suppose it was the on board camera flash, things certainly have advanced since my first foray into underwater photography, as a teenager & member of the British Sub Aqua club, I made my own waterproof camera outfit using a footbal bladder & a diving facemask, I think the instructions were in the Triton the BSAC mag at the time. I used it in Babacombe bay & managed a few grainy shots, sadly they were film prints & long gone.
The picture, Interesting but I suppose it was taken simply by putting the ready set camera in the dishwasher!.

4. Lisa Croft. Rockpools.
An unusual shot, pity the water wasn't so clear as it can be.

5. High Force. Janice.
Never got to High Force when we lived in North Yorkshire, if I remember it's a bit of a trudge across the moors to get to. More civilised is Hardraw Force, which is situated near Hawes & accessed via a pub for a small fee, & is I believe the highest single fall fall in the UK. It wasn't in full spate when we visited. Another snippet, there is a brass band contest held there in the Summer, featured on TV last year.
The picture, well shot but would have liked a milky look to the river to draw the eye to it.

6. Untitled. Paul Jones.
Sailing from Corsica to Portugal, I've been in this situation many times, especially sailing from Calvi in Corsca to Camille Rayon near Antibes in the South of France, which took around 18 hours. So I can empathise with the image and a sense of lonliness, especially after nightfall.
The picture, not the best quality shot but fills the brief.

7. Mel Barnes Tortola. When we decided to up-sticks & live afloat our first choice was Calfornia for 6 months then Mexico for the rest of the year. After 2 visits to San Diego we decided this was impossible, so then Florida & the Caribbean were the next choice, so I gathered all the Charts together, including the British Virgin Islands. Unfortunately the discovery of my wife's medical problems killed that plan so we opted for the Med', the BVI chart went on Ebay!
The picture, where was the sun Mel? If I had travelled all that way I'd like to see some sun.

8. Gwen Barnes Aruba. North of the coast of Venezuala, & about the furthest we would have sailed from Florida. We have booked a mini cruise to Bruges for August, a little less ambitious than the ships in this image.
The picture, A lot going on here, well shot, fits the brief, but the ships distract the eye from the subject, is how I think a proper! judge would describe it. :oops:

Low entry this time? Here are my judgements in reverse order.

Results. 3rd place Gwen Barnes Aruba.
2nd place Keasla. Coke.
1st place Untitled. Paul Jones.
Over to you Paul for the next subject.
Eric.
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Paul Jones wrote:Image
yachtsman1 wrote: Sailing from Corsica to Portugal, I've been in this situation many times, especially sailing from Calvi in Corsca to Camille Rayon near Antibes in the South of France, which took around 18 hours. So I can empathise with the image and a sense of lonliness, especially after nightfall.
The picture, not the best quality shot but fills the brief.

1st place Untitled. Paul Jones.
Over to you Paul for the next subject.

Thanks Eric

This was one of the most opportunistic and difficult photos I've taken, captured a few years ago when we were holidaying on the west coast of Scotland.

It was an awful weather day - heavy rain, wind and mist. I spotted this boat off the coast and the red sails just caught my eye. I shot it with my camera inside a plastic carrier bag to keep the rain off it - I got soaked but the camera stayed dry.

I entered it in an ADAPS Monthly Competition and titled it 'Sailing Through the Mist'. The judge, Tillman Kleinhans, loved it and chose it as the competition winner.

I will post a new competition topic tomorrow.

Thanks
Paul
Paul
================

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

A good choice of winner. I loved this the moment it appeared in the forum comp. Some really good images once again. As regards 'milky water' in my image, I am not a fan of tumbling water being made to look milky. The idea behind my shot was to show the force of the water building. Certainly not taken to heart the Eric. Well done on the win Paul.

Jan
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Thank-you Janice. :D
Paul
================