Competition #11 - Buildings (Exteriors)

Enter our forum competitions here
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Competition #11 - Buildings (Exteriors)

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Lightouse at Kovolam, Southern India

Tracey
pammie
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by pammie »

Hi Mike, thanks for the comment!! In fact, from the front and from a higher viewpoint, the building looks like a trussed chicken.......Pammie x
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

I reckon this one is over now, so over to Terry for the judging!
Best regards

John
TerryMooney

Post by TerryMooney »

A Big Thank You to All of You who Entered this Competition.

Here is my dissertation: In the order that the photographs arrived.

Len - The Great Court - I like the repeated pattern of the roof onto the Reading Room - a building within a building.

Des - A contrasty facade with a brooding sky - really good lighting.

Myra - Industrial Heritage record shot - would like to have seen the rest of the windows on the left-hand side to complete the pattern.

John - Nice sunset lit view of a typical Suffolk church and with a connection to one of your ancestors.

Mike - A Historical record shot of this cathedral, designed by Antonio Guido - construction started in 1880's and is not yet finished. Hence the ubiquitous tower cranes. I can see this appealing to a working architect

Bert - A good record photograph - lit by a wintery sun and you did'nt have to travel far either. I like it.

Walter - Gritty B&W photograph of a local small industrial company - full of character with the cobble street and broken paving stones and sooty masonary.

Ian - Cathedral of the smallest city in the UK - granted city status in 1992. Another good record shot well composed and lit by a winters' sun.

Sue - The flower planted wall gives a good lead into the frame and right over to the righthand side. Good colours and composition - the eye flows smoothly around the picture. (What is the Logo in the flower bed in the lefthand lawn??)

Steve - Ah yes the country of the Southern Cross - A novel and eyecatching abstract view of this famous skyline - a combination of plain colour and fine pattern. Just a small distraction in the bottom lefthand edge.

Barry - York on a bad weather day - atmospheric with its Dickensian type of shopwindows throwing light onto the street and wet cobbles - I wish you better lighting next time.

Keith - I prefer this shot to your earlier submission of Llandudno. This is what I class as a Gothic Effect - very well executed.
"The jury is still out" - but I'm looking forward to your presentation tonight.

Pammie - Great Composition - Good strong lighting - you have just managed to keep detail in the highlights of the white roof. My only niggle is to reduce the pathwalk to a minimum.

Tracey - Another striking image - I like the shadow on the base of the lighthouse and the palmtrees on the left and bottom right - cannot make my mind up about the palmtree leaning-in from the right.

Thank you all once again - Terry

Now for the Winners - For me you are all winners but here is my top choices, starting with the Third place and I have had to pick four - I could'nt separate them:

In Equal Third Place - Ian - St Davids Cathedral
Steve - Down Under
Keith - Lowry
Tracey - Lighthouse - India

Second Place - Sue - Chateau

First Place - Pammie - Tenerife
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Thanks, Terry, for the well thought out appraisal. And congratulations to all those worthy winners. There were some terrific images.

Now it's up to Pammie to start a new thread and a new subject. Closing date in two weeks as usual.

I wonder what it will be......but don't forget our downtime may delay events for up to a couple of days.
Best regards

John
pammie
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by pammie »

Woohoo!! Thanks for the vote of confidence in that image!!

I will choose a subject and post online tomorrow (Friday 28th)

Pammie x