Special Forum Competition - "Mobile Photography"

Enter our forum competitions here
BydoR9
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Special Forum Competition - "Mobile Photography"

Post by BydoR9 »

Hi everyone! As the title suggests, this is a competition for absolutely any type of photography taken on a mobile device.

This only includes; mobile phones, ipods and tablets. It DOES NOT include compact cameras, bridge cameras and obviously no DSLRs or other interchangeable lens cameras.

The Only rule is, if you wish to edit/process your images then they must only be edited in Apps on the device on which you have captured them. That means no downloading them to your computer to edit them in Photoshop!

Be as creative as you like! :D

Competition closes Wednesday 23rd April.

Andy Butler.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Special Forum Competition - "Mobile Photography"

Post by John »

I've taken the liberty of modifying your title, as competition #127 is part of the fortnightly sequence. The winner of #126 gets to set that, this one is a special one, so let's call it special! :)

Good luck everyone!

PS as an afterthought, you might find that the images from your phone are too big for the forum software, so they will need to be resized. Are you happy Andy if people just resize them to 800 or 1000 pixels without doing any manipulations on their computers?
Best regards

John
BydoR9
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by BydoR9 »

John wrote:I've taken the liberty of modifying your title, as competition #127 is part of the fortnightly sequence. The winner of #126 gets to set that, this one is a special one, so let's call it special! :)
Whoops! Sorry John, should have known about that! Thanks for sorting.
John wrote:…you might find that the images from your phone are too big for the forum software, so they will need to be resized.
Yes! Very good point John.

To be clear, I am more than happy for people to re-size them on their computers - I will just have to trust that everyone will resist the temptation to do some Photoshop tinkering. ;-]
Ian Yarwood
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Ian Yarwood »

could people not just set a different quality setting on their phones to accomodate right size??
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

OK, to start it off I'll go.... I know that they're not brilliant quality as I was just getting used to the new phone.

These were taken on my Samsung S3 Mini at the Pet Shop Boys concert at Manchester MEN Arena. Apart from resizing I haven't run any apps on them.

Read more about it on my Blog - http://www.pauljones.org/?p=605

Chris Lowe and Neil Tennant
Pet Shop Boys

Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
Donna
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Donna »

Hiya Everyone!

This is a photo of my horse, Jess, that I took on my iPhone just after Christmas. I've cropped it and switched it to black and white, just using the software on my iPhone.

Donna
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (136.74 KiB) Viewed 11584 times
collier15

Post by collier15 »

This shot was taken a couple of weeks ago whilst playing with wire wool. These are the apps I used aviary, photoshop express and photo resizer to take it down to 800x600.
Michael :-d
Attachments
IMG_2014041821870.jpg
IMG_2014041821870.jpg (50.79 KiB) Viewed 11576 times
mark dyson
Photographer
Photographer

Post by mark dyson »

A good idea this Iphone forum comp
Manchester eye
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

We were at Little Moreton Hall today and her is my iPhone image. It was resized in Photoshop, but nothing else was done, no levels, no sharpening, nothing.
071 iPhone Untouched.jpg
071 iPhone Untouched.jpg (251.82 KiB) Viewed 11553 times
Best regards

John
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair

Post by melbarnes »

This was taken today at Brockholes nature reserve on my Samsung S3 mini. It has been sized to 800 pixels wide, and less than 256 Kbytes in Photoshop. Nothing else was done to it.
Attachments
Bluebells at Brockholes
Bluebells at Brockholes
20140420_121803.jpg (209.91 KiB) Viewed 11525 times
"Aim for the moon - if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."
gwenbarnes
Initiate
Initiate

Post by gwenbarnes »

I braved the cold wind to take this photo today on my Samsung S3 mini mobile phone. It has been sized in Photoshop.
Attachments
Dandelion
Dandelion
20140420_121910.jpg (112.35 KiB) Viewed 11522 times
Walter Brooks
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Walter Brooks »

Taken on an iPhone 4; processed in Snapseed using a few of the available menus; resized on PC ...

W 8)
“The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.”
― Dorothea Lange
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

BydoR9 wrote: Competition closes Wednesday 23rd April.
Closed and now ready for judging...
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
BydoR9
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by BydoR9 »

First of all, thank you to everyone who entered the competition. I must admit that for the first few days it looked like no one had any interest in it. Then slowly, but surely your entries started to come in. Needless to say, I was relieved! ;-)

A good batch of images all-in-all, but a few did stand out though to be amongst the best three, which are they? All will be revealed at the end of this post.

Dandelion, by Gewn Barnes.

A good frame-filling close-up of the yellow flower with some nice detail. It’s obviously difficult/impossible to de-focus backgrounds with a camera phone, so there is unfortunately a lot of distracting background around the central flower. A tighter, square crop may have helped a somewhat.

Moreton Hall, by John Riley

A good record shot, lifted by the strong green and blue of the sky and grass. Only thing is the presence of too many people - yes my rules make it hard to clone them out I know, but ‘dems da rules’ ;-)

Jess the Horse, by Donna.

Lovely animal Donna! A good mono image with a pleasing pose from your steed - nicely framed by the stable door - just not quite as strong as the top three though.

Chris Lowe and Neil Tennant, by Paul Jones.

A very different type of portrait, very colourful and original. A good idea using the video screens (if not cheating a little maybe ;-) ). That aside I liked it! The main reason that this didn’t do as well as some of the others is because it is effectively two images stuck together really.

Bluebells at Brockholes, by Mel Barnes

I like the diagonal composition in this image Mel, good work! Perhaps a bit more contrast would have helped to make the blues of the Bluebells ‘pop’ a little more though. I also think perhaps you could crop off the left hand side of the image, as the area to the right where all the flowers are is the main focal point.

Manchester Eye, by ark Dyson - THIRD PLACE

Very moody this one, I like the clouds behind the wheel which creates a strong silhouette - the B&W conversion is very good too! The only niggle I have (which kept it from the top spot) is with the composition. I would have liked to see more of the wheel. All said and done though, an excellent shot Mark!

Untitled (waterfall), by Walter Brooks - SECOND PLACE

Just when I thought all entries were done with - this image popped-in from Walter. And what a cracker it is! The toning on this iPhone image is superb, it’s very rich. I would be happy to put this in an open competition if I was walter. A well deserved second place. I did nearly make this the winner, but I’m again, not 100% happy with the composition - good as it is overall though.

So the winner has to be....

Untitled (wire-wool) by Michael Collier - FIRST PLACE

Loved it as soon as I saw it. This image has impact as well as strong symmetrical composition. It shows off what can be done with a camera phone, even though this image has no real tonal range, I still like it. I think Michael has done really well capturing this scene hand-held - it's a worthy winner!

Good work by all entrants and thanks again to all those who took part in this competition, hopefully ADAPS may one day have a special club competition for mobile photography.

Andy Butler
Walter Brooks
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Walter Brooks »

Thanks for your comments and judging Andy and well done Michael!

Interesting what can be done with a camera phone ... like submit photos in the Annual DPI and get as good a score as most on the night.

W
“The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.”
― Dorothea Lange