Forum Competition #130 - Lighthouses

Enter our forum competitions here
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Forum Competition #130 - Lighthouses

Post by Paul Jones »

For this competition I want you to enter a photograph of a lighthouse.

- ONE entry per person
- The competition will run for two weeks. The closing date is midnight on Sunday 29th June.

Good luck!
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Re: Forum Competition #130 - Lighthouses

Post by yachtsman1 »

What a co-incidence, we've just come back from a holiday in Kent. One of the sites on my to do list was Dungeness which I've wanted to visit since my childhood when I read a book called "Disaster at Dungeness". The Dungeness images have been compiled into a surreal AV show but I won't spoil the comp' by posting that. The image I've chosen shows the original Dungeness lighthouse. When they built the atomic power station in the background, it blanked a sector of the light so they had to build a new one, that isn't quite so iconic. The image has been converted to mono & touched up in elements to give it a finish to match the mood of the show. I think my wife also took a picture of one of the lights so I'll mention it to her.
Eric
Yachtsman1.
Attachments
l2.jpg
l2.jpg (67.65 KiB) Viewed 10252 times
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

L. Agulhas Lighthouse, South Africa
L'Agulhas-Lighthouse-South-Africa-edited-15.6.14.jpg
L'Agulhas-Lighthouse-South-Africa-edited-15.6.14.jpg (141.46 KiB) Viewed 10237 times
Mrs Yachtsman1
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Mrs Yachtsman1 »

I'm afraid the weather wasn't up to much when we visited Dungeness, I know I have other lighthouse pictures but can't find them :roll:
Mrs Yachtsman1
Margaret.
Attachments
m1.jpg
m1.jpg (80.69 KiB) Viewed 10231 times
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Ord Lighthouse, Isle of Skye:
009-Ord-Lighthouse.jpg
009-Ord-Lighthouse.jpg (201.37 KiB) Viewed 10227 times
Best regards

John
Stu B
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by Stu B »

Almost finished....
Eilean Musdile lighthouse from the Craignure-Oban ferry Puzzle 1.jpg
Eilean Musdile lighthouse from the Craignure-Oban ferry Puzzle 1.jpg (136.41 KiB) Viewed 10196 times
Regards

Stuart....
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

20140531_334_tonemapped copy.jpg
20140531_334_tonemapped copy.jpg (195.3 KiB) Viewed 10190 times
Capo Sandalo, Isola San Pietro, Sardegna.
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair

Post by melbarnes »

South Stack lighthouse, Anglesey.
Attachments
SOUTH STACK (11).jpg
SOUTH STACK (11).jpg (168.22 KiB) Viewed 10173 times
"Aim for the moon - if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."
gwenbarnes
Initiate
Initiate

Post by gwenbarnes »

South Stack Lighthouse, Anglesey. Memories of a lovely holiday.
Attachments
SOUTH  STACK  (3).jpg
SOUTH STACK (3).jpg (112.32 KiB) Viewed 10130 times
keith richardson
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by keith richardson »

Perch Rock Lighthouse, New Brighton
hdr 19 niktoned.jpg
hdr 19 niktoned.jpg (162.94 KiB) Viewed 10102 times
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Thank-you to everyone for entering some diverse and interesting images.

We've had discussions on the forum about judging competitions recently - regarding objectivity, personal preference, the 'wow factor', etc. I'll try to be as objective as possible, but ultimately I think some personal preference will also creep in.

Yachtsman1
I've never been to Dungeness, so don't know how accessible the lighthouse is for photography. Feel free to disregard my comments, but looking at your image a few questions came to mind. Why had you composed the image with the sign-post prominently blocking the lighthouse? Why include the telegraph pole on the left side? But the biggest one was about the mono treatment, which doesn't work for me, sorry. I think a more punchy black and white treatment may have suited it better.

Tracey McGovern
Red, white and blue are colours that always work well together. The yellow flowers and greenery give a good base to the image. Taken from a good angle, I can't find much to not like about the photo, though I did wonder if you had added a slight vignette to the edge of the sky and whether it actually needed it?

Mrs Yachtsman1
I know about bad weather days, Margaret. I once drove for ages to get to the Ardnamurchan Lighthouse (the most westerly point on the British mainland) and when I got there it rained the whole time. Your image is a decent record of the lighthouse, but sorry, there are other shots with more 'wow' in the competition.

John
I've been to Skye, but not to this lighthouse, so, again, have no idea about viewpoints. You've obviously thought about composition, with the positioning of the main points of interest and the base to the photo. The muted colours of the background help the white lighthouse to stand out. There's nothing to nitpick about.

Stu B
I've been on the same ferry and also photographed the Lismore Lighthouse. I think you've done a good job with the photography and as a straight photograph it could have been up there with my top 3, BUT... (personal preference) I'm not a fan of the jigsaw treatment, sorry. A good photo spoiled in my personal opinion.

Janice Freeman
This shot has bags of punch. I like the fact that you've taken a decision to step back from the lighthouse and present it in a very pictorial way. The colours are brilliant and the sky has just enough texture to make it interesting. I think you could have perhaps gone a little closer and had the lighthouse a touch larger in the frame, but I can appreciate you wanting to retain the pink flowers in the shot. It's an impressive image.

Mel Barnes
I've been to South Stack many times and photographed the lighthouse from the top of the cliffs. I can't fault the exposure, Mel, but, even before Gwen posted her shot, I thought that your lighthouse was tight in the frame - to the point where the top of the lighthouse is touching the border. I think it needed more space around it. Again, personal preference.

Gwen Barnes
This is the more traditional viewpoint that I'm familiar with of South Stack and, as a record of the lighthouse it's very well handled. Just a pity that you didn't have more blue in the sea that day as it would have made the white lighthouse really stand out.

Keith Richardson
Well, you'll know from the forum that I was at New Brighton a few weeks ago and know exactly where this was taken from. I tried a few shots looking over the wall but couldn't get it as good as you. Your shot has 'wow'. I just wonder if the wall just isn't 'too' dominant in the frame (again, personal preference).

My top 3:

THIRD PLACE: Keith
SECOND PLACE: Tracey
WINNER: Janice

Over to you, Janice, to choose the subject for the next competition with the usual two-week deadline.
Paul
================

yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by yachtsman1 »

Hi Paul
As I said in my preamble, this shot was part of an AV show composed of our shots of Dungeness. It is a wierd place with shacks & ruins dominating the shingle foreshore. The shot I presented was my third attempt at the show, which is intended to portray the mood of the show. It was originally colour, then mono then I applied Elements solarising effect. Incidentally, the theme music I used for the show is also it's title "Trouble Town" which IMO fits Dungeness to a tee. The song was the opening title to a recent cop show on TV called Happy Valley which when I heard it I had to use it in the show, it's on Youtube with all the foibles associated with live streaming, take a look & let me know what you think. Incidentally, the singer Jake Bugg had a set at Glastonbury Saturday evening.
Regs Eric.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZZm8A01xl0
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

yachtsman1 wrote: As I said in my preamble, this shot was part of an AV show composed of our shots of Dungeness...
It was originally colour, then mono then I applied Elements solarising effect...
Understood Eric, thanks.

Obviously, I judged it as a standalone photograph alongside the other entries. I wasn't thrilled with the solarising effect, but it's good to experiment and if you're happy with it, that's the main thing. :D
Paul
================

yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by yachtsman1 »

I wasn't thrilled with the solarising effect, but it's good to experiment and if you're happy with it, that's the main thing. :D[/quote]
It does work better with colour, but that didn't fit.
Eric.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

That was a good competition and the entries showed a wide variety of approaches. Well done everyone!
Best regards

John