Forum Competition #131 Gardens

Enter our forum competitions here
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Forum Competition #131 Gardens

Post by Janice Freeman »

My chosen subject is gardens. I love gardens, formal, informal, wild etc and they are accessible to everyone. I would love to see your images of a garden because I never manage to get the shot I am after! Get out in the fresh air and enjoy this subject. The competition will close at midnight on Friday 18th July - a bit longer than usual but I will not be available until that date. :)
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Re: Forum Competition #131 Gardens

Post by yachtsman1 »

Margaret & I have literally hundreds of garden shots, either ours or gardens visited. From a short-list of 20 I've chosen this one of mine, again from one of my AV shows. It depicts someone enjoying a quiet moment at the annual tulip competition at Constable Burton Hall in Wensleydale.
Eric
Yachtsman1.
Attachments
DSC_3106.jpg
DSC_3106.jpg (236.48 KiB) Viewed 9306 times
Phil Jones

Post by Phil Jones »

Pennington-Park.jpg
Pennington-Park.jpg (213.04 KiB) Viewed 9265 times
Hi All.
I don't expect to win this as it's just a test shot with my new camera. So many settings & buttons!

Regards,

Phil.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

075 Bodnant.jpg
075 Bodnant.jpg (325.53 KiB) Viewed 9257 times
Bodnant Garden in North Wales.
Best regards

John
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Forres in Bloom

Post by Paul Jones »

Central to the town of Forres are Grant Park and Cluny Hill, with lovely woodland and high quality seasonal planting schemes providing wonderful colour throughout the year.
Led by the 'Forres in Bloom' group, the whole population is fully committed to enhancing the quality of life and keeping the town spotlessly clean at all times.
The 'Forres in Bloom' Association have ensured that Forres has been very successful in Floral Competitions over the last twenty years and have achieved numerous awards.
http://www.forresinbloom.co.uk/scotland ... awards.htm

Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair

Post by melbarnes »

This is the Italian Garden in Cromford Acres, Bournemouth. It is one of several gardens, including a Japanese garden with small lake, woodland trails with modern sculptures, cascading water features, and ponds. A great day out for photography. I had to wait over half an hour to get a shot without people in - but I feel it was worth the wait.
Attachments
IMG_2597_HDR.jpg
IMG_2597_HDR.jpg (198.49 KiB) Viewed 9214 times
"Aim for the moon - if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."
Mrs Yachtsman1
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Mrs Yachtsman1 »

Like Eric, I have literally 100's of garden shots, but this morning the gardeners are cutting the lawns around our apartment block, which reminded my of the view we get from our apartment of the gardens. So I thought I would take a picture of what we see every morning, sat at our dining table having breakfast. As the day progresses, the shadow patterns change & the view at evening is framed with some fantastic sunsets.
Margaret
Mrs Yachtsman1.
Attachments
my1.jpg
my1.jpg (103.96 KiB) Viewed 9203 times
gwenbarnes
Initiate
Initiate

Post by gwenbarnes »

I thought I'd go small - this is one of my sink gardens.
Attachments
sink-garden.jpg
sink-garden.jpg (73.99 KiB) Viewed 9199 times
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Janice Freeman wrote: The competition will close at midnight on Friday 18th July
Competition now closed
Paul
================

Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

Many thanks to those that have entered the forum comp. Some lovely images to choose from, however, a little disappointing that there were not more images submitted. I thought that this was a subject pretty much accessible to all. However I like what I see and my comments follow:-

Yachtsman: A peaceful scene, with some lovely tulips. However, the gentleman has been cut-off from full view by the pillar, and the highlights on the tulips and the bush are very bright. It may have been better taken from a different angle to show it to best advantage and to see more of the garden. I feel that the emphasis is more on this gent’s peaceful moment than the garden.

Phil: Hope you are enjoying your new camera. It has produced some nice punchy colour. For me, this is a picture of two halves, the lovely orange flowers at the top and the pink at the bottom, split by the expanse of grass. Perhaps a lower viewpoint to close the gap between the flower beds would have worked better. A nice colourful image Keep enjoying your camera and pressing all those buttons.

John: A beautiful view of the house and pond at Bodnant. Nice gentle detail in the sky and lovely reflections in the pond. However whilst set within a formal garden the pond and house detract from the garden itself and dominate the scene. Crisp and clear with good exposure.

Paul: Lovely image and more like the type of garden I was looking for, full of trees, flowers and colour. I like the angle from which it has been taken and the diagonals lead the eye into the centre of the image. I would have like to have seen the corner not cut off – but for me this is a garden!

Mel: A lovely image of an Italian style formal garden. Taken from a nice angle with good foreground interest in the pond and water lilies. Nice reflections and whilst the house catches the eye, the lovely red and yellow flower borders, surrounded by the subtle greens make this a really attractive image.

Mrs Yachtsman: What a lovely view to wake up to each morning. Serene and peaceful, however it lacks the flowers and colour that I would have liked to have seen. The window is a dominant feature and the outside scene is a little overexposed, probably due to shooting from a dark room into the light. I envy you the view!

Gwen: What a pretty little trough garden. Nice and sharp, some good detail. Not so sure about the angle of view though, perhaps a lower level would have been more effective rather than a ‘top’ view. I like ‘little’ though, and this is something a bit different.

My choices:

3 Gwen
2 Mel
1 Paul

Over to you now Paul and I look forward to your choice.
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Janice Freeman wrote: Paul: Lovely image and more like the type of garden I was looking for, full of trees, flowers and colour. I like the angle from which it has been taken and the diagonals lead the eye into the centre of the image. I would have like to have seen the corner not cut off – but for me this is a garden!
Wow, thanks Janice. I wasn't expecting to win. Thanks.
You're right about not cutting the corner off. ;-]
Paul
================

yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by yachtsman1 »

Looks like we picked the wrong images again, for those lovers of convention, there are two AV shows, one contains my image & the other images from our gardens as seen from ground level by both of us. "Just Tulips" "The Gardens at Stirling Court".
Comments welcomed :-d
Eric & Margaret.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/eqq5dblvpvj01/

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/i9zjx1ttvlv2v/