Forum Competition # 139 Just the Job

Enter our forum competitions here
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Forum Competition # 139 Just the Job

Post by Janice Freeman »

Flash of inspiration!! I am looking for images of people at work, just doing their job. There should be plenty of scope with this one. As usual, have fun undertaking this challenge, its all about enjoying what we do!

The deadline will be 2 weeks from today ending at midnight Tuesday 9th December. :-???
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair

Re: Forum Competition # 139 Just the Job

Post by melbarnes »

Here's men at work on the steam train at Haworth railway station. In the unlikely event that this wins the competition Janice, please choose another subject because we'll be on holiday, and won't be back in time to judge it - and the internet in India is not very reliable!
IMG_0687.jpg
IMG_0687.jpg (121 KiB) Viewed 9864 times
"Aim for the moon - if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by yachtsman1 »

From a shortlist of 12, to a shorter list of two, I've chosen this one which shows a council worker on Sunderland beach cutting up driftwood into bite sized chunks for disposal.
Eric.
maw1.jpg
maw1.jpg (255.76 KiB) Viewed 9833 times
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Site Survey......
Site-Survey.jpg
Site-Survey.jpg (219.06 KiB) Viewed 9810 times
Tracey
Mrs Yachtsman1
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Mrs Yachtsman1 »

Took this one on Southport Beach, it's included in our AV show "Out of Season" I hope it fits the bill. Eric forgot to mention he is scheduled to go in hospital on the 2nd so may not be around by the closing date. I'm not very internet proficient, so in the event either of us win, will the second place person choose the next subject.
Margaret
Mrs Yachtsman1.
sdm1.jpg
sdm1.jpg (200.79 KiB) Viewed 9798 times
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

056 UU In Action.jpg
056 UU In Action.jpg (209.16 KiB) Viewed 9752 times
United Utilities in Action! No matter what time of day or night, the crew from UU swing into action, stopping the city's leaks. This leak in Tyldesley was quite dramatic as water spurted out of a neighbour's lawn, but within the hour they were on the job.
Best regards

John
Dennis G

Post by Dennis G »

Hello everyone, I know it's been a while and apologies for that , anyway here is my entry taken a few years ago in a small remote Turkish village (name of the village escapes me ) this was a tiny smallholding where the family also baked the most amazing tasting bread the civilised world has known.
Attachments
Turkish bakery.jpg
Turkish bakery.jpg (391.04 KiB) Viewed 9719 times
Kind Regards

Dennis
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Summer Grassburning in Hawkshead Churchyard

Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
Gill Blower
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Gill Blower »

The Pancake Man
Attachments
IMG_1145.jpg
IMG_1145.jpg (95.09 KiB) Viewed 9661 times
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Janice Freeman wrote: The deadline will be 2 weeks from today ending at midnight Tuesday 9th December. :-???
Now closed
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

Many thanks to all who entered this competition. Some nice images and an interesting choice of job. Here goes -

Mel: Nice picture of the 2 chaps doing something they love – men, trains and oily rags seem to always be in the same sentence! One doing nothing and the other obviously singing!! LOL I would have liked to have seen a bit more of the smoke coming out of the funnel because I think that would lend a bit more atmosphere to the subject, however we know what their jobs are. I also think it lacks just a touch of contrast. Overall, a nice shot.

Yachtsman: A very nice shot of the ‘lumberjack’ at work. I like the contrast in colour between the yellow helmet and his blue clothing. Nice shadows falling to the left, however, I guess the image was taken mid-afternoon when the sun was falling but still bright causing the image to be a little overexposed and too much on the bright side for me. Still a good study of someone working.

Tracy: A nice shot of this chap doing his thing. At first glance I thought this was a Ref at a football match, so, I would have just liked to see a little more separation between the raised finger and the chap in black kneeling down. I like the strong figures in the foreground looking back to the figures in the background. Gives a good sense of scale. Now I know how many men it takes to hold a pole and a piece of string!

Mrs Yachtsman: A lovely shot of the Donkeys and their keeper arriving for the days work and fun. (I hope the Donkeys enjoy it and are well cared for). You have details in the shadows and the overall exposure is good. The pier stanchions at the back are a bit distracting – but that’s ‘as is’ as far I am concerned. Brings back some lovely childhood memories.

John: A nice crisp evening shot with some good detail. The bright light on the machinery has not been blown. Would have loved to have seen the water shooting up through the lawn!! You have the chaps nicely framed within the machinery and if you look carefully you can see the figure in the front just walking by. Bless them for turning out so quickly. A nice study.

Dennis G: Welcome back Den. A nice clear image of the bread ovens with the fire burning in one of them. It is well exposed with good detail. The chequered bundle front right is just drawing my eye away from the lady – who is carrying the biggest piece of bread I have ever seen. Would have liked her to have been a bit more prominent in the scene. A good image.

Paul: A very pleasing image of a very rural tradition. Good light and shade in the image and my eye is drawn straight to the chap going about his work. Well exposed, good detail, and I like the smoke drifting across the scene. A somewhat peaceful scene but with enough going on to hold interest.

Gill: A lovely image which shows exactly what is going on, Nice and clear and the main subject fills the frame nicely. I know that writing can be somewhat frowned upon in images as it is said to detract from the image, but in an image such as this it is – for me – informative. We can see what his job is, and we know what he is making!. They don’t look like pancakes as I know them, but willing to give them a try! Lovely image.

3rd Mrs Yachtsman

2nd Paul

1st Gil.

Well done Gill and over to you for the next subject.
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
Gill Blower
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Gill Blower »

Thanks Janice....they are mini ones and are served with maple syrup and dusted with icing sugar...really nice.

Will have to think if a topic....