Forum Competition #144 - Spring

Enter our forum competitions here
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Forum Competition #144 - Spring

Post by Janice Freeman »

As Barbara is feeling quite unwell, I have offered to put up her choice of Subject for the next Comp.

Barbara has chosen 'SPRING' Any image that epitomises Spring for you - should give us all quite a choice of subject - and hopefully encourage us all to get out into the clean crisp sunshine that Spring (should) bring with it.

Closing date will be 2 weeks ending at midnight on 28th March 15. Enjoy yourselves. :-d
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Forum Competition #144 - Spring

Post by John »

019 First Crocus.jpg
019 First Crocus.jpg (309.48 KiB) Viewed 11272 times
First Crocus. This is what spring means to me, the crocus pushing up from grassy banks and lawns. Sadly, all the crocus I planted in out lawn have rotted away, but these survivors were found in a corner of one of our flower beds.
Best regards

John
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

Spring Lambs
20150320_69 - Copy.jpg
20150320_69 - Copy.jpg (178.3 KiB) Viewed 11245 times
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair

Post by melbarnes »

This was shot last spring in the bluebell woods at Brockholes, near Preston.
Brockholes.jpg
Brockholes.jpg (89.69 KiB) Viewed 11222 times
"Aim for the moon - if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Blossoms...
IMG_1429-Edited-23.3.15-web.jpg
IMG_1429-Edited-23.3.15-web.jpg (216.76 KiB) Viewed 11213 times
Tracey
Sue
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Sue »

010 Spring ADAPS.jpg
010 Spring ADAPS.jpg (366.87 KiB) Viewed 11208 times
Spring at Bodnant
Best wishes

Sue
neilwigan

Post by neilwigan »

female moorhens fighting to breed with best male.
female moorhens fighting to breed with best male.
breeding-season--.jpg (316.25 KiB) Viewed 11158 times
johnjm
Initiate
Initiate

Post by johnjm »

i don't like having my picture taken!!!
Attachments
frog.jpg
frog.jpg (375.67 KiB) Viewed 11155 times
Ian Yarwood
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Ian Yarwood »

my spring entry
Attachments
Daffs.jpg
Daffs.jpg (313.37 KiB) Viewed 11137 times
bazzasmeg
Photographer
Photographer

Post by bazzasmeg »

signs of spring
Signs of Spring.jpg
Signs of Spring.jpg (269.6 KiB) Viewed 11119 times
Gordon Armstrong
Chair
Chair

Post by Gordon Armstrong »

If I can't get out of work to photograph spring then spring must come to work!!
spring to work.jpg
spring to work.jpg (127.54 KiB) Viewed 11096 times
"People say that nothing is impossible, but some times I can do nothing all day"

Gordon
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Janice Freeman wrote: Closing date will be 2 weeks ending at midnight on 28th March 15.
Competition closed
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
Barbara Shirley
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Barbara Shirley »

Thank you to everyone who entered the competition

This is the first time that I have ever been asked to judge other peoples photographs and I must admit that as a relatively new photographer, I don’t feel qualified to do so, other than to say that I know what I like. When it comes down to technicalities I don’t feel able to comment with any degree of confidence or full knowledge.

JOHN - First Crocus. A lovely clear image and well exposed, the orange stamens contrasting nicely with the white throat and the delicate purple petals. The background is slightly distracting and unbalanced by the heavy leaves on the right. The central positioning of the flowers suits the shot nicely.

JANICE - Spring Lambs. Certainly fits the bill as far as the brief is concerned and a change in subject which has the cute factor, however, it would have been nice for the animals to have been in the sun rather than the shade. The background has been gently blurred. I would have liked to have seen a bit of separation between the heads of the first lamb and the ewe. The image is well exposed and sharp where it should be.

MEL – Bluebells A nice mass of blue flowers, gently broken up by the patches of green. The image is quite sharp but focus seems to just fall off on the left hand corner. For me, the trees , being large, are not quite in the right position composition wise. Perhaps a few steps to the right, or a lower view point, putting the trees on the edges of the frame would have been slightly better, The background on the right is a bit fussy and distracting. I would consider cloning out the broken stump a third of the way up on the left. Overall a lovely spring shot which fits the brief.

TRACY – Blossoms A beautiful shot of the Spring Blossoms Sharp as a tack with some lovely detail in the flowers. The light just falls away at the top right, however, I like the strong-coloured but diffused background which sets off the flowers perfectly. The whites are clean and not muddy. The angle at which it has been taken is very nice, leading your eye across the image.

SUE – Spring at Bodnant A very pleasing shot of this lovely Laburnum Arched walkway, the yellow flowers nice and sharp at the front and gently merging together towards the back to give a nice soft feel. I like the way the pathway is slightly offset but then leading your eye to the central point. Some nice dappled light and good contrast. Gives the feeling of an impressionist painting.
NEIL – Moorhens. Well taken and nicely exposed, but does not immediately say Spring to me. Nice sharp image with the birds slightly off centre. Some good detail in the water droplets. A good nature image

JOHNJM – Frog. Again, this doesn’t immediately say spring. It is a pity that the image is not entirely in focus and that the main subject is obscured somewhat by the out of focus grasses. Not easy subject to capture with a clean background. A well seen shot.

IAN YARWOOD - Daffodils. Nice colours and nicely exposed against the blue sky. For me the composition is not quite right with the central daffodil turning away from the photographer. The two large flowers stand out nicely, it just needed the third to balance the scene, and the image is not in focus. I like the low viewpoint and the image certainly shouts spring.

BAZZASMEG – Signs of Spring. Beautiful spring blossoms in a delicate shade of pink. The image would have benefitted from losing the thin branch coming from the top left corner. The group of 3 flowers is nice and with some good details.

GORDON - Spring indoors. Certainly spring flowers, but not quite what I had in mind for a spring image. It would have been nice to have seen the Daffs dominating the scene rather than sitting in the middle of the frame. My eye is drawn more to the apparatus on the left. Good strong colours .

My choice:-

3rd Janice
2nd Tracy
1st Sue -

Congratulations Sue, a lovely shot. Over to you for the next subject please.

Barbara 5S
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

Well judged Barbara. Must have been difficult with so many good entries. Congratulations Sue a lovely image - could see myself walking through that arch.

Look forward to your choice.

Janice
Sue
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Sue »

Thank you so much for choosing my photo, there were some good photos there. I'm thinking of the next competition as I write and will post my thoughts in the next few minutes

Thank you
Best wishes

Sue