#157 silhouette

Enter our forum competitions here
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

#157 silhouette

Post by Janice Freeman »

Well I hope that this will be an interesting challenge (spelling it was bad enough) Silhouettes - free choice of subject, colour or monochrome. Good luck. competition will end in 2 weeks at midnight on Monday 23 November.
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Re: #157 silhouette

Post by yachtsman1 »

Not an easy subject unless you have something archived, which we haven't. Then this morning I remembered we have an ideal in-house subject in our hall. This is a statuette with a light behind which I wired via a PIR to come on when we enter the hall, which has no natural light. It was an Ebay buy which I changed the plain glass to one from the Creative Glass Guild, which I thought more appropriate.
Eric.
s1.jpg
s1.jpg (115.27 KiB) Viewed 9325 times
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

025 The Pain of Modern Life.jpg
025 The Pain of Modern Life.jpg (255.01 KiB) Viewed 9303 times
The Pain of Modern Life
Best regards

John
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair

Post by melbarnes »

This is a photo that I took when I was shooting images for a recent "Calendar Girls" type project that I was involved with.
Attachments
Silhouette.jpg
Silhouette.jpg (121.23 KiB) Viewed 9285 times
"Aim for the moon - if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."
gwenbarnes
Initiate
Initiate

Post by gwenbarnes »

This sunset shot was taken from the balcony of our hotel in Goa.
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (246.61 KiB) Viewed 9284 times
johnjm
Initiate
Initiate

Post by johnjm »

Taken in the back garden with an old Fuji bridge camera
Attachments
backgarden.jpg
backgarden.jpg (464.38 KiB) Viewed 9272 times
bazzasmeg
Photographer
Photographer

Post by bazzasmeg »

trees in silhouette against an early morning sky
Attachments
Tree copy.jpg
Tree copy.jpg (252.46 KiB) Viewed 9222 times
Phil Jones

Post by Phil Jones »

Atherton Sunset.jpg
Atherton Sunset.jpg (55.94 KiB) Viewed 9200 times
Regards,

Phil.
mikeaspinall
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by mikeaspinall »

001 CONTEMPLATION copy.jpg
001 CONTEMPLATION copy.jpg (103.96 KiB) Viewed 9197 times
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

My apologies for the delay in commenting. I did actually do this on Tuesday but forgot to press the little magic button that said submit!!! Better late than never - Hmmm......
Here goes:-

Yachtsman - A beautiful lamp and a well found subject. The figure is a lovely shape with a good silhouette and a small amount of detail showing on the face. However, despite my liking for art glass, I find this a little distracting in this instance - drawing attention away from the main figure. It is a pity that the knee has just been cut off on the right hand side. I feel that if the hotspot caused by the light could have been muted to allow the rest of the glass to show through then it would have been a better image. As I it stands - a good photo and a great lamp.

John - I really like the image, but for me, it does not quite fit my opinion of a silhouette. Most of the subject is clearly (if dimly) lit. Great details and emotion in the shot and a great portrait - but does not quite fit the title for me. Sorry.

Mel - A good example of the old fashioned style victorian silhouette. I would have liked the hair to have been just a little tidier making for a smoother outline. Having said that it does show the detail. The outline of the face is very good showing the lips and eyelash very clearly Classic style - very nice.

Gwen - A lovely warm sunset nicely framed by throwing the surrounding trees into darkness. I like the fact that the falling sun is not central. Good outline to the varying trees

Johnjm - I nicely shaped tree standing out against the blue of the sky - and then that little flush of colour on the left. The heavy black roof on the right just takes a little bit of the delicateness away from the shot, and I wonder if a slightly different angle could have avoided this? The trees in the background and the wisps of plants are nice touches.

Bazzasmeg - Lots of warm colour in the sky, and good cloud formation helping the dark trees to stand out very well. I like the slight angle - dropping the trees down gently towards the corner of the frame. The branches encroaching on the right are a tad distracting, but for me, not enough to detract from the shot as a whole. A lovely image.

Phil Jones - The church and the trees are nicely set against the colourful sky. The outline is sharp with some faint details just showing on the church tower, however for me the roof is a bit plain and just lacks the details along the ridge to just lift the picture a bit. Also the break between the trees just seems to separate the picture - a continuous flow would have pulled it together. Still a good shot with a lovely sky.

Mike Aspinall - ~A classy shot - along the same lines as that of John, however this is thrown more into silhouette by the dark shadows with only the merest facial and hair details showing. The highlight on the forehead and cheek are very bright (is it my screen?) and could they be toned down slightly, I like it very much.

3rd - Mel - Despite the untidy hair - a good example of an old fashioned silhouette.

2nd - Mike - Perhaps a silhouette in reverse to some extent - but a lovely shot

1st - Bazzasmeg - A classic silhouette with lovely background colouring

difficult to choose from a lovely set of entries. Over to Bazzasmeg for our next challenge.
bazzasmeg
Photographer
Photographer

Post by bazzasmeg »

Thanks Janice,

You had some interesting submissions to choose from with this subject. I will have a think and post competition 158 over the weekend.
Hope all is well with the lovely people of ADAPS :-]
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

It was very interesting Barry. Hope all is well with both of you - you are both very much missed. :-d