#159 All Roads lead to.....

Enter our forum competitions here
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

#159 All Roads lead to.....

Post by Janice Freeman »

ROADS:- I don't think we have had this topic before - so, can we produce interesting images of roads (not traffic trails please), public highways, pathways etc? Looking forward to seeing what comes from this, so off you all go - and enjoy it! If it's OK with everyone, due to the Christmas and New Year Holiday, I will leave this open now until Midnight on the 2nd of January 2016.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. :-}

Janice
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Re: #159 All Roads lead to.....

Post by yachtsman1 »

One from our time in Wensleydale. "Midnight in Hawes".
Eric
DSC_2687.jpg
DSC_2687.jpg (127.84 KiB) Viewed 10883 times
johnd83
Initiate
Initiate

Post by johnd83 »

Gordon Armstrong
Chair
Chair

Post by Gordon Armstrong »

There is a road in there somewhere!!!

Entrance to Taj Mahal, Agra.
Agra-99.jpg
Agra-99.jpg (381.95 KiB) Viewed 10842 times
"People say that nothing is impossible, but some times I can do nothing all day"

Gordon
mikeaspinall
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by mikeaspinall »

I call this 'THE ROAD TO A HEART ATTACK'
THE ROAD TO A HEART ATTACK 2.jpg
THE ROAD TO A HEART ATTACK 2.jpg (363.35 KiB) Viewed 10821 times
'
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

On the road to John O'Groats

Post by Paul Jones »

On the road to John O'Groats

Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

053 Edinburgh Waverley.jpg
053 Edinburgh Waverley.jpg (326.28 KiB) Viewed 10779 times
All roads lead to the end, in this case Edinburgh Waverley Railway Station.
Best regards

John
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

The long road home.....
IMG_6996-Edited-28.12.15-web.jpg
IMG_6996-Edited-28.12.15-web.jpg (192.72 KiB) Viewed 10756 times
stopher002
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by stopher002 »

All roads lead to trouble
stopher002
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by stopher002 »

All roads lead to TROUBLE
Attachments
DSC_7686.jpg
DSC_7686.jpg (168.31 KiB) Viewed 10743 times
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

I hope that you have all had a lovely Christmas and are looking forward to a good New Year. Thank you all for your entries. Some great entries for this one and I have had a hard time choosing. Here are my observations:-

Yachtsman - A good start to the entries. A nice monochrome of a street reminiscent of Ronnie Barker's Open All Hours. Quite a bit of character to this street with the cobbled road and old lamppost. Well exposed, the lighting from the shop is not blown out and neither is the reflection on the road. A nice glow from the street lamp. Slightly dark to the bottom right-hand corner, but enough detail can be seen. In focus from front to back. I like the atmosphere of this image.

JohnD83 - An interesting, intriguing walkway which suits the portrait orientation. No obvious signs of camera distortion in the straight lines of the metalwork. Lots of crisp detail from front to back, suits the monochrome treatment. Good perspective leading the eye to the brick wall at the end. Is it blocked off or does it lead somewhere? Make up your own story on that. A very good clear image.

Gordon - As you say, there is a road in there somewhere - and that is why it just misses the brief a little for me. Its a great journalistic- style shot of a very busy and interesting spot, but not that busy that you cant be bothered to search through it. The colours are nice and muted against the falling light. However, the hustle and bustle takes over the scene and the theme of road etc is overtaken by this.

Mike - Very apt title for this one - Road to a Heart Attack - not sure if this is Steep Hill in Lincoln or not, but you have captured the steepness very nicely - something I never seem to get right! A nice clear shot with good colour. The bike on the right and the folk on the left adding interest to the scene.

Paul - A lovely image with a good view to boot! I like the way the road travels from the bottom right, gently curving and undulating to the hills beyond. A good strong sky with some heavy cloud throwing shade onto the road and then clearing to throw light on the backdrop of the hills. The lone walker adds that human interest.

John - I like the viewpoint on this one with the tracks disappearing into the distance. The metal gantries(?) nicely separated so as not to clutter the image. Again interest added by the tiny toy-like figures on the platform.

Tracy - Another lovely scenic path gently moving through the autumnal colours to the little white house in the distance. A good sky with the patch of blue adding a nice contrast to the golds of the landscape. I like the way you found a figure dressed in blue to match!! Nicely exposed clean image.

Stopher - Afraid again that this just misses the brief! A lovely image of the model and the monochrome treatment suits the image very well. However, the model dominates this scene and therefore the pathway is not the main focus of the image. Hope it was a warm day!

3rd - Tracy

2nd - Paul

1st - Eric (Yachtsman) The atmosphere of this image just drew me in - a dark damp street but with a warm glow from the shop light - just makes me want to toddle down there.

Congrats on being the first winner of 2016 Eric. Over to you for the next subject matter.

Janice.
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Well done Eric, you have a fine win, and the torch is handed to you!
Best regards

John
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by yachtsman1 »

Thanks Janice & John, I've always liked the image. Incidentally the "reflection" at the sides of the road happened when I cloned out the double yellows :oops: . We suffered for our art when this was taken, traveling 20 miles from Leyburn at dead of night in midwinter. I haven't got a new subject ready yet, Doctors visits this morning but will come up with something after lunch.

For you AV enthusiasts I selected this image from 70 odd possibles, the remainder I put into a simple AV show which can be seen here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDMmaN6yvRQ
Back with a new subject after lunch.
Eric :oops: :oops: :oops: :-O :-]
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by yachtsman1 »

Just dug out the original AV show my entry came from, so for Janice, this is a bit more of monochrome Hawes.
https://vimeo.com/150647692
My Docs appointment isn't until 10.50 so I will post the next comp' subject shortly.
Eric