Enter our forum competitions here
stopher002
Committee Member
Committee Member
Spam Protection: No

Re: #160 - "Beside the Seaside"

Post by stopher002 »

I have thought long and hard, if I should respond to this post
I am not offended at all. I do appreciate that a nude figure/painting/image may not be to everybody's liking.
I do question statements and their validity in context to an image

5. Untitled nude with parasol, stopher.
I'm not a prude, but when I see a picture containing the naked female form on a public forum comp', I cringe. Saying that, it fits the bill, could it be another clone? or do I need a new monitor. Not much exif info available to see how it was taken? Horizon not quite straight.

Point 1
I'm not a prude, 'BUT' when I see a picture containing the naked female form on a public forum comp', I cringe.
The word here is BUT -
I Question your moral stance on this statement
Evidence give by yourself on the link to your Flickr account (public open forum)
1. Liverpool Anglican Cathedral - painting hanging on the wall of the Cathedral, with the depiction of a man's penis showing
2. Ainsdale beach statues - image of a lady on a beach ready to take a landscape, with yet another penis just behind her head.

Point 2
I CRINGE
My image is of a models that was paid for a full days shoot. Model agreement forms were signed & agreed before any images were taken.
Evidence give by yourself on the link to your Flickr account (public open forum)
1. Image of a ladies underwear shop. Image taken from outside showing a young lady with just knickers & a Bra on. Did you ask her first if the image could be taken & if it could be put on a open forum website?
2. Image of a bull fight - you state in the notes below this image, that you have 50 more just like this
I myself find this highly offensive & cruel that someone could stick the knife in for the amusement of other. This make me CRINGE

Point 3
Could it be another clone? - All of images are created in front on the lens, only enhanced in Adobe LIGHTROOM.
So no cloning here.

Point 4
Do I need a new monitor? - Not for me to say

Point 5
Not much exif info available to see how it was taken? - Why would you need this information to just an images on face valve. I am bemused with this statement.

Point 6
Horizon not quite straight - Rule of thirds, straight horizon, leading lines, tells a story, etc etc
These are guide lines not laws. Guidance not a must.

The inspiration for My image was taken from a very famous poster taken in 1970's, Tennis Girl.
(The white minidress worn by the model in the famous 1970s "Tennis Girl" poster has been sold for £15,500 at auction.)

I change the tennis racket & dress for the Parasol
Change the unlevel tennis court net for the horizon

I do not regard myself as a photographer or artist, but strive to create a pleasing image that can be spoke about in an intelligent manner without sexualizing the subject matter. My images of this nature are always tasteful and not demeaning to the model i use and models are in agreement with said images.
Photography as a media, is an extension of painting.
With this said my last comment - is that you do not visit Florence or The Sistine Chapel (and look up) you may CRINGE, at works of art worth millions of pounds, that are hundreds of years old & revered by scholars & judges of art all over the world. Also by the common person in the street

Mr Yatchtsman1, I find FISHY
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by yachtsman1 »

I've obviously rubbed you up the wrong way, to go to so much trouble sourcing images to contradict my comments is almost fanatical. I would suggest that if I'm lucky enough to choose another comp', you decline entering & I'll do likewise. BTW for your information I always check exif information if it is available, there are so many instances of people claiming images are theirs when they aren't, Exif info can be valuable in such instances.

Yachtsman1.
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Without making a big issue of it, I can appreciate and do have some sympathy for Chris' point of view.

But then I've been shooting glamour and nudes for over 15 years and have put up with so much crap from prudes that I've kinda become immune to it. 8)

When you save an image as a jpeg for uploading to the Internet using 'save for web' it strips out all the EXIF data.
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

It's also true to say that as this is a website primarily for Atherton & District Amateur Photographic Society (ADAPS) then most of the members are actually known to each other. We know each other's images and there shouldn't be any need for checking the ownership.

We do of course welcome people from all over the world. Even if you can't be with us in person, you can be with us via the internet!

As for nudes, they have been a staple of art for centuries and are a difficult, demanding subject that takes some skill to get right.
Best regards

John
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Chris

I hope you don't stop entering competitions. As a woman, I was not offended in any way by your image :D

Tracey
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by yachtsman1 »

Will the person responsible for this web site remove the images belonging to me posted by stopher002. They infringe the clubs copyright rules as I didn't give him/her permission to publish them. (Original images on this website remain the copyright property of their respected photographers.
Site content is the copyright property of Atherton & District Amateur Photographic Society (ADAPS). All rights reserved.
The views expressed in the ADAPS Message Forum are those of the individual author and not necessarily of the club.)
Eric
Yachtsman1.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

I think Eric that considering you are our guest on this forum I would appreciate a greater level of courtesy from you. Please be mindful that this is a friendly group of people who by and large know each other.

I have no problem whatsoever removing the images, but would point out that the first one was not yours but a very famous image that has its own copyright owner.
Best regards

John
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

You have such diplomacy John :-d

I'm biting my tongue here :x
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

yachtsman1 wrote: Will the person responsible for this web site remove the images belonging to me posted by stopher002. They infringe the clubs copyright rules as I didn't give him/her permission to publish them. (Original images on this website remain the copyright property of their respected photographers.
Site content is the copyright property of Atherton & District Amateur Photographic Society (ADAPS). All rights reserved.
The views expressed in the ADAPS Message Forum are those of the individual author and not necessarily of the club.)
I do hope this doesn't get silly. We're all adults and, one would hope, be able to have an adult conversation about photography. Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, whatever that may be.

However... to address the alleged copyright infringment. The answer is that there is no infringement. Anyone who has been around photography forums for a while may be familiar with the doctrine of 'Fair dealing' or 'Fair use'. It tends to crop up from time to time on DPReview, etc.

Fair dealing / Fair use provides an exception to United Kingdom copyright law. Photographs may be copied / posted for the purposes of non-commercial research or study, criticism or review, or for the reporting of current events.

Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_deal ... ingdom_law
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."