#163 "Sound"

Enter our forum competitions here
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair
Spam Protection: No

#163 "Sound"

Post by melbarnes »

Thanks Janice for your lovely comments regarding what was a set of grab shots - I happen to have had my camera set on high speed continuous shoot mode for photographing red kites on the beach when the guy came along doing back flips (not forward flips as I reported on my entry!!) in front of his mates. Thanks also to all the other entrants for a very varied set of interpretations of Janice's subject.

We've had concrete nouns as past trends in this competition, such as: hands, water, machines, etc, so going along with the current trend of abstract nouns of time, motion, etc, I choose the subject of "sound".

This can be any type of sound that you wish - but I'm looking for photographs that convey sound - not just the inanimate object(s) that the sound is created by, but the action that accompanies it. It can be a musical or non-musical sound - any type of sound, so get your thinking caps on and let's see what you can come up with!

The competition closes at midnight on Sunday 6 March.
"Aim for the moon - if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: #163 "Sound"

Post by John »

049 Valli 11.jpg
049 Valli 11.jpg (353.64 KiB) Viewed 10641 times
OK, you put "Sound" as the brief, so here we have, in their original 1962 billing, The Four Seasons, Featuring the "sound" of Frankie Valli.

You asked for it! :)
Best regards

John
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

The Jazz Singer
The Jazz Singer.jpg
The Jazz Singer.jpg (82.17 KiB) Viewed 10635 times
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by PhilipHowe »

http://philiphowe.co.uk
http://facebook.com/PhilipHowe

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
Free Dropbox account link! http://db.tt/XvrZgQ68
Stbourne
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Stbourne »

Skullcandy-Headphones-SFW.jpg
Skullcandy-Headphones-SFW.jpg (110.93 KiB) Viewed 10577 times
johnjm
Initiate
Initiate

Post by johnjm »

2s n blues !
Attachments
2s n blues.jpg
2s n blues.jpg (15.26 KiB) Viewed 10550 times
Gordon Armstrong
Chair
Chair

Post by Gordon Armstrong »

cymbal 2.jpg
cymbal 2.jpg (178.83 KiB) Viewed 10547 times
A very late entry from me. This was a difficult subject but I enjoyed it.
"People say that nothing is impossible, but some times I can do nothing all day"

Gordon
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair

Post by melbarnes »

Thank you to all participants for your entries in what was a difficult subject. The entries have been varied, but all except for one case, associated with music. I envisaged that musical instruments and singers would be used, but also thought that there might be more "lateral thinking" ideas, for example, someone popping a balloon behind someone who's quietly resting, or capturing a plate as it is dropped onto the floor and smashed. There must be many more examples that could have been set up in the home (like Shaun's headphones), rather than having to go to a concert.

John:

Ok - it's Frankie Valli - but surely not with the original Four Seasons - they recorded some cracking songs. This image certainly portrays sound, given the five vocalists and at least two musicians (no doubt there were many more musicians). I guess the red cast on the singers is from the stage overhead lights? You've done well to retain some detail in the singers' dark suits, and I guess that the slight graininess in the image is due to the use of a high ISO; also the amplifier in the middle is burned out - no doubt due to the strong stage spotlights. In any case, it's a good image given the dark environment that it was taken in, and the people in front of you, especially as flash wasn't used.

Janice:

I love the action in this pose - you can almost hear the song coming from the singer - this image certainly fits the specification of "action accompanying the sound". There's no burnt out whites, and there is detail in the shadows. The rule of thirds has been well applied here. The singer's face looks pixelated when the image is slightly expanded - I guess the photo was taken from a distance and cropped down? I think it could be cropped a little more from the left and right without spoiling the image - but that's a personal choice.. Again, another good image in a dark environment without flash.

Philip:

A great image taken at exactly the right moment - I almost feel that I'm there on the front row! The lighting is superb, and the movement creating the sound is clearly demonstrated in the singer's faces and in their right hands on the guitar strings. The shot is taken from a good angle, which ensures that the microphones leave their faces fully exposed. I think the monochrome treatment really suits this image, and the black background is almost pure black.

Shaun:

Well, Skullcandy is certainly an unusual image. Although there is no action resulting in the sound, the audio is clearly "visible" from the headphones by blasting out the "rainbow particles", which I assume signifies the music exploding from his head, in which case I think they would have benefited from being made sharp instead of blurred. However, it they are intended to signify sound waves, I think the intent would have come across better if a wavy pattern had been adopted. I love the way that you've twisted the relection of the head through 180 degrees. A very original composition with great imagination!

Johnjm:

You've certainly shown action in this image - and I hope you were fast on your feet to avoid being hit! I take it that the image was taken from the rear window of a moving vehicle in front? Either that, or Photoshop filters were used to convey a sense of movement. Sadly the image is underexposed to see enough detail in the cab or on the vehicle (I take it that it's a fire engine?), the lights are (understandably) overexposed, and focus is an issue too. However a great idea with originality.

Gordon:

This is the kind of thing (amongst others) I had in mind when I chose the subject for the competition, and I like the low angle that this is taken from. The cymbal is a little tight in the frame - resulting in clipping on the left hand side, but the image is sharp and the lighting is perfectly captured- with a good depth of field. The drum sticks are moving pretty fast here, so the action creating the sound is quite clearly illustrated.

The results are:

3rd place: Janice

2nd place: Gordon

1st place: Philip

Well done Philip, and over to you to choose the next subject. Good luck!
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Well done everyone, and nice to see Phil entering and winning!

Yes, the billing was original, but the Four Seasons aren't, although Frankie has been on the road so long that some of the musicians have actually been there for something like 35 years themselves.

Doesn't time fly?
Best regards

John
PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by PhilipHowe »

Mel, thank you for the opportunity to show one of my photos. Having had an incident with all my camera equipment being stored in my boiler cupboard, I'm restricted to my archive of photos at the minute. A bigger thanks for picking me as the winner.

I really enjoyed being at the club in August to show off some of my gig photos and one of the things that is hard is to capture the sound of what is going on.

So, thanks to the other entrants and thanks to Mel. I will pick a new topic and post later today.

For reference, here is the same photo before converting to monochrome:

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair

Post by melbarnes »

An excellent image, Phil. I'm only sad that I wasn't able to attend the Salford Music Festival in spite of asking you to invite ADAPS. However, I hope to rectify it this year!
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

Well judged Me - some great images to work with and a very worthy winner indeed. You are quite right, my shot was taken from some distance ( a box up in the Gods) and was cropped. Also taken at a very high ISO so was lucky to get anything out of it. Always good to have ago though. Congratulations Phil - looking forward to your choice.

Janice.
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by PhilipHowe »

Janice, thank you.
Just for reference this photo was taken : Canon EOS 5D Mk1, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, ƒ/2.8, 70.0 mm 1/60sec, ISO1000.
However, i took some photos last night at 1/30sec ISO3200 f2.8.

Stbourne
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Stbourne »

Hi Mel,

nicely judges, congratulations to Phil, I think i prefer the colour for some reason that eludes me at the moment.
Some lovely images and I loved the fire engine.
Thanks for the critique, the reflection is btw actually a reflection of the head turned the other way and if you could see it the headphones do in fact have an L on the normal and R on the reflection (didn't quite work out but hey things to try).

Now to find an attractive or strange veggie ;)