Attachments
Whacky Whitby Window copy.jpg
Whacky Whitby Window copy.jpg (156.89 KiB) Viewed 6961 times
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: #170 - Mono

Post by John »

The competition is now closed and awaits our judge!
Best regards

John
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

WOW - it's great to see so many entries for this competition and nice to see some new names in there too, fantastic and welcome to the forum competition. Now for the judging:

Flying Scotsman by Al C Field
A good subject to photograph with the train having room to move into on the right hand side, the steam coming out from under the train adds drama and atmosphere. One thing that lets this picture down is that it looks like it is sloping a little.

Angel Swim Suit by stopher02
A lovely image here. I like the pose with the model striking an interesting shape. Lovely contrast between the darks and light areas with the light falling nicely on her face. I like the vignette as well which draws the eyes straight to the model, although my eyes keep landing on her chest more than her face due to it being the lightest area of the image. But still a great shot.

Liverpool Scene by Janice Freeman
A well composed image with good contrast and slight vignette helps hold the gaze where it needs to be. I like the detail in the clouds although some appear burned out slightly. A very pleasing image of Liverpool with the boat adding interest.

Amy by Simon-vtr
Nice lighting on the model's face, I think I would like to have seen more of her right eye with her face slightly tilted a little more this way and maybe a reflector under her chin to remove the shadow on her neck. I like the vignette but it looks a little over sharp especially around her hair and eye.

IMG-0442 by Martyn A
A detailed shot of some machinery, although I can't make out what it's part of, some kind of engine of some sort maybe.....! A title might have helped identify what this is. However, the image is nice and sharp but I think a boost to the contrast would help. The darks are a little grey and could stand being made a little darker.

Chloe by Bobby
She looks a little sad, was she not a willing model? I know when I try to take portraits of my dog, she ALWAYS turns away, it's so frustrating. You have got great contrast here, the image is so sharp you could cut yourself on it and the vignette helps keep the eye focused on the dogs face.

Brodie Castle by John
This is a really pleasing image, great range of blacks, whites and greys. The subject works really well in mono and is nice and sharp, I like it.

Castlefields by Stbourne
This is a nice landscape shot of Castlefields which has been photographed many times but you have managed to capture a perspective I've not seen before. I like the figure looking into the image to give a human interest, I also like the 3 static objects on the left (bin, column and post) with graduated height which leads the eye nicely into the image. Good contrast too. It's an image you could spend time looking at due to a lot going on but there is always something for the eye to rest on.

Windows Phone by BrydoR9
This is a typical image of Andy's, a well seen image with a lot going for it, it's simple yet evocative with the single figure in the only open window. You couldn't have posed this fellow better if you had tried. It has symmetry, nice and sharp with good contrast through the blacks, whites and greys. A great image.

Onya by Paul
A beautiful portrait of a beautiful lady. The lighting is superb, the only shadow on her face is where you want it to be to define her cheek bones, she has a faraway look on her face with good catch lights in her eyes. I like the pose but the hand appears a little too dominant the longer I look at the image. I do like the image though.

My Lady in Waiting by Mike Aspinall
I'm guessing this was taken at a re-enactment event. Whilst you have managed to engage the model, she seems to be looking over your right shoulder rather than directly into the image which lets it down ever so slightly. I like the vignette and the detail in her clothing and she has an enigmatic smile.

Gorey Castle by Graham Otty
This is a really interesting sculpture, it looks very tall and it's just a pity we can't see the whole bodies of the statues in the bottom, also the last head at the top is chopped off a bit. But the overall quality of this image is really good, I love the contrast between all the blacks, whites and greys, its also nice and sharp.

Matt by Mel
Another good portrait of a male model this time, we should have more of these :-). I like the direct look into the lens by Matt, that full on gaze gives it strength bringing his character through which is what you want. I'm a bit distracted by the shadow behind him and wonder if a step forward from the background would have strengthened the image.

Beach Walker by Johnjm
Hmmmm - sorry John but this is supposed to be a mono competition so the green coat disqualifies it, sorry. A nice image though with a lone walker on the beach with plenty of room for the girl to walk into gives it a nice composition but unfortunately I can't include it in the comp - sorry again :(

Wacky Windows by bazzasmeg
A nice symmetrical image of a well seen stained glass window giving an almost optical illusion feel to it. I like it. I think a little nudge on the contrast would strengthen it a little. Well spotted though, I probably would have walked past it.

Phew, you are making me earn my money with this competition. There are so many excellent images here, now to choose a winner.

3rd Castlefields by Stbourne
2nd Windows Phone by Andy
1st Brodie Castle by John - the tones in this made it my winner

Over to you John.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Thank you Tracey!

OK, thinking cap is now warming up, so I'll post a new competition very soon.......
Best regards

John
Martyn A
Initiate
Initiate
Spam Protection: No

Post by Martyn A »

Congratulations John,
and thank you Tracy for your helpful comments.
Eagerly awaiting the next competition.

Thanks Martyn
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

I echo Traceys comment about new names and more entries - good to see. Well judged and some very helpful comments.

C'mon John, think of a good 'un! :wink:
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
al c field
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by al c field »

Thank you Tracey for your constructive advice on the flying scotsman now I know how
get a wonderfull photo
al c field
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

Well said Alasdair. This is a lot of what this forum comp is about- a chance to show some of our work and receive helpful feedback. Little improvements along the way and a chance to be a judge!!! Certainly attempting to critique an image helps you look more closely at your own! Way to go :-d
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty