#202 - Historic Ruins

Enter our forum competitions here
Sue
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

#202 - Historic Ruins

Post by Sue »

Hi,
The next competition is Historic Ruins. This can be any ruin that has a significant history. You can even tell us a little about the ruin you choose.

The deadline is midnight on Monday 7th May.

Good Luck & lets all join in.
Best wishes

Sue
TerryA
Initiate
Initiate
Spam Protection: No

Re: #202 - Historic Ruins

Post by TerryA »

Fountains Abbey-2.jpg
Fountains Abbey-2.jpg (350.54 KiB) Viewed 8931 times
Fountains Abbey.....

Cistercian monastry destroyed in 1539 under the orders of Henry VIII
GRAHAM OTTY
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by GRAHAM OTTY »

Ruins of Rievaulx Abbey,Yorks,some of it dating back to the 12th century
Attachments
abbey.jpg
abbey.jpg (499.93 KiB) Viewed 8922 times
Gordon Armstrong
Chair
Chair

Post by Gordon Armstrong »

temple of Artemis.jpg
temple of Artemis.jpg (482.48 KiB) Viewed 8899 times

A collection of ruins with a concentration of sacred sites at Selcuk near Ephesus in Turkey. The pillar in the foreground is all that remains of the temple of Artemis which was one of the wonders of the ancient world. The pillars in the rear to the right represent the Basilica of St John, built in the 6th century over the reputed tomb of St John. The domed building to the left is the Isla Bey mosque built in 1374. It is partly ruined but the main building is still an active mosque. The large fortification at the rear is the Ayasuluk fortress built to protect the basilica.
"People say that nothing is impossible, but some times I can do nothing all day"

Gordon
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

Fountains Abbey is one of the largest and best preserved ruined Cistercian monasteries in England. It is located approximately 3 miles (5 kilometres) south-west of Ripon in North Yorkshire. Founded in 1132, the abbey operated for 407 years becoming one of the wealthiest monasteries in England until its dissolution in 1539 under the order of Henry VIII.

Fountains Abbey
Fountains Abbey
20140927_511 800 px.jpg (142.05 KiB) Viewed 8898 times
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
JOJO
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JOJO »

Scarborough Castle.jpg
Scarborough Castle.jpg (243.28 KiB) Viewed 8894 times
Scarborough Castle.
The building of the great tower was begun by Henry II after he demanded the return of all royal castles to the crown.
Joanne

"Anybody can be a great photographer if they zoom in enough on what they love." - David Bailey
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair

Post by melbarnes »

Old Peritheia is an abandoned village in the moutains in Corfu. It is the oldest example of the original mountain villages of Corfu. Records date back to the mid 14th century, although it is considered to have been inhabited many centuries before. Around 130 houses were built, entirely by hand, some of which have now fallen into ruins, many of which are now under restoration since the owners for the B&Bs began bringing the village back to life in 2010...
The village, once inhabited by approximately 1200 people, was one of the wealthiest on the island, surrounded by vines, oak trees and thousands of sheep that roamed across the mountainside. To this day, with its cobbled streets and ancient houses, the atmosphere retains its warmth and friendliness. Encircled by eight churches and nestling beneath the island's highest mountains, Old Peritheia is set amidst beautiful countryside with views to the sea, it was once a hideaway from Pirate attacks. Back in those days, the 'best land' was in the mountains and land by the sea was practically worthless and unsuitable for farming etc. That all changed when tourism began to get a foothold in the 1950s-60s, and the village population migrated to the new found wealth & jobs in tourism.
2X3A5680.jpg
2X3A5680.jpg (426.03 KiB) Viewed 8863 times
"Aim for the moon - if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."
Sue
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Sue »

Mel - A lovely image, sharp and a good angle giving me a nice feel to the houses of the village.The photo is sharp through out with lovely detail in the stone. A place that I would love to explore.

Jojo - A nice image of a castle we have been to a few times. The sky has some nice cloud formation with the sea a shade darker to set this off nicely.The only thing that could have improved this photo is the sun, the photo is lacking a little light

Janice - Another place we have visited quite a few times over the years. The light, shading and the colour of the stones are lovely. With no people in the photo it gives it a tranquil feel.

Gordon - What a shame the rocks at the front are all that is left of the ancient temple. Its nice that the buildings in the background are still used in some way.Good light and taken at a good angle to show us the setting of the buildings.

Graham - Another good photo, beautiful light and composition. This is also a place we have visited on numerous occasions. A good sky and lovely colours and tones in the building stones.

Terry A - A beautiful tranquil long view of this abbey. The light shinning on the tree on the right hand side is lovely and the river leads us up to the abbey nicely.

Thank you all for joining in, I enjoyed looking at your photos. So here are my 1st 2nd and 3rd.......

3rd place - Mel
2nd place - janice
1st place - Terry A

Terry A over to you!
Best wishes

Sue
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

Congratulations Terry. Some lovely images here and a few I have not visited but they are on my list. Your choice now Terry. Look forward to it.

Janice
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
TerryA
Initiate
Initiate

Post by TerryA »

Thanks Sue and Janice........give me a couple of days to think of something decent and I'll be in touch

Cheers

Terry