Competition # 24 URBAN

Enter our forum competitions here
Tom Gerrard

Competition # 24 URBAN

Post by Tom Gerrard »

Hi everyone,
Sorry for the delay, but I’ve been having problems with my server.
My chosen topic for the next competition is URBAN (Architecture, People and the City) Midnight, Friday 7th Nov (extended due to forum modification) will be the closing time.
Good luck to everyone.
Regards, Tom.
Last edited by Tom Gerrard on Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bazzasmeg
Photographer
Photographer

Re: Competition # 24 URBAN

Post by bazzasmeg »

Hi, My entry is the London Eye. Regards, BarryImage
pammie
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by pammie »

Car Park at Liverpool 1

sunsworth
Photographer
Photographer

Post by sunsworth »

Paul, I used to work in that building.

Here's my effort. Urban graffiti.

mister
Initiate
Initiate

Post by mister »

Here's my effort, The Wheel of Manchester with reflections in Selfridges

Larger version here: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3250/297 ... f05d_b.jpg

R

Mark
>-----------------------------------------------<
http://www.flickr.com/photos/marklovatt
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Peveril of the Peak, Manchester
Best regards

John
Sue
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Sue »

Best wishes

Sue
Mike
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Post by Mike »

New York City (Empire State Building in distance - taken from Top of the Rock).

--------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Tom Gerrard

Post by Tom Gerrard »

Greetings,
A big thank you to everyone who entered the comp’. I deliberately left the subject ‘open’ and enjoyed looking at your different interpretations of the theme.

Barry. The London Eye. A good shot of the Eye although I think I would have cropped some of that stuff on left hand side out, thus repositioning the Eye less centrally.

Pammie. Car Park at Liverpool 1. I like this shot although it’s dressed in Everton colours. I wonder how many people would walk by and not see a picture here. Well exposed and taken under what I imagine would be difficult lighting conditions I think you’ve done very well. Again I would crop, this time at the top and bottom where there is not a great deal happening. A well-seen shot.

Paul Jones. Reflections at Salford Keys. These shots always look good. Technically adept with the obligatory splash of red, what more could one want? A great shot, which I know would look far better at a larger size and higher res.

sunsworth. Urban Graffiti. Sex in the city, fine art nude……., again I wonder how many people would walk by and not see this. I would have liked the contrast cranking up a bit, I think it’s a good nitty-gritty urban image and I like it a lot.

mister. The Wheel at Manchester. I have seen hundreds of shots of this contraption and this one is dfferent to say the least. I know from experience what unusual subjects and angles of view can be obtained by lying flat on your back on a Manchester pavement late at night. This is unconventional, well seen and executed. Well done.

John. Peveril of The Peak. An excellent record shot of this great little pub in Manchester. Personally I would have cropped/cloned and got rid of the clutter on the right hand side, the red trousers do distract. However I do like the perspective of this unusually shaped pub in front of the pattern of the office block windows in the background. The textures and colours of the different types of brickwork also add interest to this urban picture.

Sue. Untitled. For me this is a challenging interpretation of the urban theme. Technically well-done using a mixture of natural and artificial light, good DOF and vibrant colours, it’s that 45 degree list to the port side that brings on a feeling of ‘mal de mer’. A very interesting and thought provoking shot.

Mike. New York City. Empire State Building in distance - taken from Top of the Rock.
Another unusual image taken from the Observation Deck at the Rockefeller Centre NY NY. In my opinion it somewhat sadly diminishes the stature of the Empire State Building, which is still a great structure and well worth a visit. Is this a photo of a telescope or an urban landscape? I’m not sure, but it is different from the usual examples which I have seen taken by the majority of tourist who visit there.

3rd sunsworth
2nd Pammie
1st mister

So it’s now over to you mister to choose the subject for the next competition.

Regards, Tom.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Thanks for a great appraisal Tom and congrats to "mister"
Best regards

John