Competition #30 - "Love is..."

Enter our forum competitions here
Andrew Shepherd
Elite Member
Elite Member

Competition #30 - "Love is..."

Post by Andrew Shepherd »

Ian - many thanks for selecting my image - delighted to get a win and now looking forward to judging a competition for the first time :wink:

The closing date is midnight Saturday 14 February and, given this is Valentine's Day, I felt obliged to think of a theme around this! Hopefully the theme is broad enough to let your creative juices run riot. No rules, just an image interpreting "Love is..."

Have fun and I look forward to the postings.

Andrew
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Andrew Shepherd
http://www.redshank.net
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Competition #30 - "Love is..."

Post by John »

Love is...carving your initials on a tree.
Best regards

John
Sue
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Sue »

Love is....
Attachments
Love is.....jpg
Love is.....jpg (176.8 KiB) Viewed 5543 times
Best wishes

Sue
pammie
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by pammie »

Love is..... well, make your own mind up!! ;-]

Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Love is...........!!
Attachments
Valentine-Rose.jpg
Valentine-Rose.jpg (100.47 KiB) Viewed 5343 times
Andrew Shepherd
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Andrew Shepherd »

I've enjoyed judging this (my first attempt!) and comments as follows:

“Love is...carving your initials in a tree” (John) – when I first saw this I thought the carving was personal to John, i.e. you’d revisited a place personal to you. That would have made it special, but I then realised the initials didn’t match! (I hope I’m right!) I can’t get the scale of the letters which makes the image a little confusing for me.

“Love is...letting him know who’s boss (Sue) – I really like this one – it fits the theme really well and the white on black gives it a really crisp finish. Good strong image and you can see the effort invested in Photoshop (or whatever software you’ve used).

“Love is...fulfilling his fantasies” (Paul) – another strong image from Paul and the quality of the image and the lighting is superb. The pose looks natural and isn’t awkward. I like the way the blond girl’s face is slightly in the shadow, but you can see what she’s got her eyes on! The only thing that bugs me about this one is the love heart – I’d be tempted to clone it out – I find it a little distracting.

“Love is...well, make your own mind up!” (Pammie) – another good image and you’ve obviously spent some time manipulating this one digitally. I like the black and white background and I could imagine it being used in some kind of magazine advert (aimed at the youth)!

“Love is.........” (Tracey) – nicely composed and the use of depth of field really frames the image well, with the white flowers blurring in the background. The pearl in the middle of the flower is a little distracting and I personally wouldn’t have had it. (The image looks a little over-saturated too – but that maybe just our monitors.)

I really struggled to decide on the winner between 1st and 2nd, they are both very good and fit the theme well. My final decision came down based on the overall quality of the image and the results are:

1st - “Love is...fulfilling his fantasies” (Paul)
2nd - “Love is...letting him know who’s boss (Sue)
3rd - “Love is.........” (Tracey)

I hope nobody is offended - just my opinion ;-] and well done to everyone who entered.

We now look forward to the next competition, to be chosen by Paul.

Thanks

Andrew
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Andrew Shepherd
http://www.redshank.net