Competition #35 - 'Patterns'

Enter our forum competitions here
Tom Gerrard

Competition #35 - 'Patterns'

Post by Tom Gerrard »

Hi everyone,

The next competition subject is ‘Patterns’. Images that are dominated by geometric shapes; lines; circles; spirals; patterns; tessellations; colours; etc. Either man made or from Mother Nature. Closing time will be midnight Tue 5th May. Good luck.

Regards, Tom.
hogiebogie
Initiate
Initiate

patterns

Post by hogiebogie »

Hope this qualifies for reflections competition
Hope this qualifies for reflections competition
Reflections Salford Quays.jpg (100.03 KiB) Viewed 8675 times
Mike
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Re: Competition #35 - 'Patterns'

Post by Mike »

Okay. So you have all probably seen this one before but, meh!

--------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Stormfront
Best regards

John
Sue
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Sue »

Here is my Pattern Picture
Best wishes

Sue
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Inside of a hot air balloon.....
Inside-Balloon.jpg
Inside-Balloon.jpg (107.19 KiB) Viewed 8478 times
Best Wishes
Tracey
bazzasmeg
Photographer
Photographer

Post by bazzasmeg »

My entry is the White church at Chorley
Regards, Barry
Myra
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Myra »

Reflections in the windows at Salford Quays.

pammie
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by pammie »

Imperial War Museum North, Salford

Tom Gerrard

Post by Tom Gerrard »

Thanks to everyone entered this competition. My comments are as follow:-

Hogiebogie. I’m not sure whether or not this in the right competition as it’s titled ‘Reflections Salford Quays’. However, there is a strong pattern element made up of the rectangular panes of glass. This is a good well seen shot which, perhaps, could be improved by cropping a wee bit off the bottom which I find distracting. Well done.

Mike. A study in concentric triangles. Just how many triangles there are in this image I don’t know – I gave up trying to count! A really interesting shot with lines shooting out at all angles, reminding me of the abstract art that was so popular in the days of yore.

John. An interesting shot showing a man made pattern against a natural ‘pattern’ made by chaos. Or deterministic chaos ~ does the flap of a butterfly’s wings in Brazil set off a tornado in Tyldesly and all that. A well observed combination.

Sue. A great black and white image that really leaps out at you. Beautifully exposed, composed and processed. Have you all noticed the optical illusion, where all the curved lines make the bottom edge appear to bend outwards? A very striking image and again, well seen.

Tracey. The only non- architectural image in the competition and what a lot of boxes it ticks. We have patterns made of circles, arms of radii, triangles, quadrangles, spirals and colour. Did Tracey notice all this when she took it? It is similar in construction to that of a psychedelic spider’s web manufactured by an araneidan on speed. Great image.

Bassasmeg. This is the kind if place where most people, including myself, would walk by and not notice there was an interesting image to be had. Was it Dorothea Lange who said ‘The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera’? Well Bassasmeg saw this, a building consisting almost entirely of rectangles and made an excellent pattern picture. Well observed.

Myra. Not Myra’ usual genre but a splendid image all the same. Many distorted patterns overlaid by a regular grid of the window frames make an interesting picture. For me, perhaps, the old gold colour a little lighter, would have portrayed this part of Salford in a less sombre mood. All the same it’s made me want go there and try my luck, so I can honestly say ‘Myra you have been an inspiration!!!’

Pammie. Another architecture and sky combination and how well it works. One, man designed and constructed, the other, as much as he tries, he cannot predict. Well exposed to capture details throughout the full range of tones, well composed and the shapes give it great form and movement. An excellent study.

Len. Wow. I find this image very confusing and my eyes are wandering all over it trying to find a focal point. It’s a fabulous subject to photograph and convinced as I am that there are many patterns here to see, I can’t concentrate upon one without rambling off looking elsewhere. For me, zooming in on one particular area and simplifying your image would help. As it is, there is just too much of a good thing. Once again a great subject and another to put on my list ’to do’.

I truthfully found this an extremely difficult competition to judge and to misquote Arthur Wellesley, ‘it was a damn close run thing’, but the results are:-

3rd Pammie.
2nd Sue.
1st Tracey.

So it’s over to Tracey to pick the next subject.

Kind regards, Tom.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Well done all, and thanks to Tom for a quality judging!

Nice winning shot there Tracey. Well done.
Best regards

John