Joe Jackson Landscape Competition Deadline!

A place for Syllabus Updates and Comments
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Joe Jackson Landscape Competition Deadline!

Post by John »

This year, Joe's wife Margaret will be with us to present the new Joe Jackson trophy. And a very nice trophy it is too, so one to stand proud in anyone's home for a year.

This competition is for JPEG images straight out of camera. Set whatever you like on the camera controls, use whatever accessories you want to in front of the lens, but the file to send to me must be straight out of camera, with nothing whatsoever done with it. This emulates the choices we had in choosing film and filters, etc., and after that we have the equivalent of a set of transparencies. What you take is what you get.

I will resize all the images for the competition software, Keith will assemble the competition and has engaged a suitable judge.

So good luck to all, look out for some great Landscapes in your archive or even shoot new ones, but the entry is due in from now for the next couple of weeks and can consist of up to five images. Let's do Margaret and Joe's memory proud!
Best regards

John
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Joe Jackson Landscape Competition Deadline!

Post by John »

First entries are now in, we're on our way with this!
Best regards

John
Gordon Armstrong
Chair
Chair
Spam Protection: No

Post by Gordon Armstrong »

I am going to take the risk of asking dumb questions but I don't want to look like a fool when my pictures go up. :oops:

I was present at club on Thursday when there was some discussion of what a landscape is but I am not sure how strict the definition is. John said it was the natural world and to imagine a Constable painting, and seemed to exclude seascapes and cityscapes - the definition is therefore different than the landscape category for the annual competition.

Questions: does the picture have to be in landscape format?

Does the picture have to be relatively wide angle or would landscape details be acceptable?

The club discussion seemed to exclude seascapes but does that exclude coast shots in which the land is the main subject?

Am I overthinking this??!!!! ;-]

Gordon
"People say that nothing is impossible, but some times I can do nothing all day"

Gordon
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Fair questions Gordon! A landscape in this context is the simple interpretation and it doesn't have to be landscape format, it could be vertical format. It should be a landscape of the natural variety and this could include the sea as much as the sky, but not exclusively sea or sky. Man made objects such as buildings can appear, but not as the main subject. It doesn't have to be a wide angle shot.

But don't over think it, the more we try and define it the more complicated it becomes.
Best regards

John
canonsnap
Initiate
Initiate
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by canonsnap »

That's me out then with my entries.
I neglected the criteria. I don't plan going to the country at this time.

Can.....
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

We are surrounded by suitable locations though, all within a few miles of Atherton. For those who can remember last year (!) the criteria are the same this year, so have a look at what you did then that was allowed in and you'll be reassured as to the type of thing required.
Best regards

John
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Hi All

Sorry these are a bit late, a couple of photos taken on the night of the competition and of Margaret giving a little speech as to why this competition was so important to Joe, and her handing the trophy to John who was the first winner of this new annual competition. Well done John and a big thank you to Margaret for donating this trophy and taking the time to come and see us.
The Joe Jackson Trophy
The Joe Jackson Trophy
IMG_2274-v1-web.jpg (73.47 KiB) Viewed 5378 times
Margaret handing over to John
Margaret handing over to John
IMG_2277-v1-web.jpg (118.14 KiB) Viewed 5378 times
A little emotional after her speech
A little emotional after her speech
IMG_2278-v1-web.jpg (137.3 KiB) Viewed 5378 times
Tracey