Thu 5th Jan 2017 - Chairman's Night

A place for Syllabus Updates and Comments
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Thu 5th Jan 2017 - Chairman's Night

Post by John »

The traditional Chairman's Night is upon us this week, a prelude to the new year and the Post-Christmas meal, which is on the following day.

One thing that has become apparent is that there is still a fair bit of confusion around the various categories in the competitions, so I'll be looking at some images and inviting discussion as to how we might categorise them. This seems particularly relevant to the much-misunderstood Record and Creative sections. This worked well when we tried it before for Landscape, so let's revisit the idea and thrash out any borderline shots.

Apart from that, I have in mind to discuss focusing issues and also to mention in passing the new PAGB sizing for DPIs (Digital Projected Images). This is something that the L&CPU will be following and the idea is that if we do the same then the competition secretaries will be able to use any images received without having to resize them.

So let's have your input and we'll look forward to having our first meeting of the New Year. Here's to 2017 being not only new, but a fantastic year for us all. :[]
Best regards

John
LesleyD
Competitions Secretary
Competitions Secretary
Spam Protection: Maybe

Re: Thu 5th Jan 2017 - Chairman's Night

Post by LesleyD »

Thanks John! I want to let the members know that 12 January is the deadline for the next comp on 19 January, and which is digital entries of course.

See you Thursday.

Lesley
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Sue and I have sent our entries to the compsec address. 8)
Best regards

John
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Thanks to all who came along, and a special welcome to those visiting for the first time.

Various things became clearer and hopefully it will help us all.

There's one important change and that is in future all digital images should be 1600 x 1200 pixels. This is to ensure they can be used in external competitions without having to be upscaled, thus avoiding any loss of quality. This is the new PAGB specification. It doesn't come in officially till July 2017, but we may as well start now and get up and running with the new sizing.
Best regards

John
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Post by Janice Freeman »

Thanks for that info John. Sorry I missed last night, but had been quite unwell all day. Back to normal(?) today. Looking forward to next week.

Janice.
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty