Thursday 2nd February - Stuart Ogden Presents

A place for Syllabus Updates and Comments
John Hardman
Syllabus Secretary
Syllabus Secretary
Spam Protection: Maybe

Thursday 2nd February - Stuart Ogden Presents

Post by John Hardman »

On Thursday its a change to see Stuart Ogden's images.

Stuart whilst he has been at the club has been very successful in entering competitions. with his varied subject matter.

Although Stuart is keeping the content of the evening to himself, I look forward to a good evening.
BydoR9
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Re: Thursday 2nd February - Stuart Ogden Presents

Post by BydoR9 »

Just thought I'd mention, that whilst looking at the monthly competition results PDF, in the Les Law Trophy I was surprised to see that my image 'Just Google It!' was regarded as a portrait (it has no eye contact).

It was then that I realised that Stuart's 20 point scoring 'Flour Dancer 2' should surely be considered a portrait under the same criteria that mine was, and he should be given the full 20 marks and not the 19 that's been taken from his other more traditional portrait image. I'm sure he would be too gracious to mention this himself. :[]

Unless of course mine is the actual oversight - if so, then please strip my 19 score from the Les Law instead.

Yours most pedantic,
Andy.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

I think the best way to go forwards with this is to have chat with Lesley and see what she thinks.

Thanks for raising the subject though, sometimes the definition of a portrait can be difficult with borderline situations.
Best regards

John
Gordon Armstrong
Chair
Chair

Post by Gordon Armstrong »

Respect to Andy for a sporting attitude.

I understood that the person entering the image led the discussion via the entry form which has a box for open or portrait.

IMHO neither image would have been agreed as a portrait based on the discussion we had at the club about annual comp categories.

Gordon
"People say that nothing is impossible, but some times I can do nothing all day"

Gordon
keith richardson
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by keith richardson »

Hi,
Lesley contacted me last week for advise regarding this very issue, in particular with regard to Stuarts images. I did advise her that the scores should in my opinion, be the way that she went, with the flour dancer not being included and the portrait of Amy being acceptable.

I spoke subsequently to Stuart who is quite happy with that decision.

However no mention was made regarding Andy's ' Just google it', which I have to admit, if it was my decision, it would not be classed as a portrait.
As Andy has very sportingly said already, he would have no argument with this outcome if his scores were updated accordingly.

I am sure that Lesley will be in touch soon.

Cheers,
keith.
LesleyD
Competitions Secretary
Competitions Secretary

Post by LesleyD »

No worries, these things are always open to debate, and I'll go with the majority and take 'Just Google It!' out of the Les Law, if that's the verdict. We can have a bit of a chat about it tonight at club.

There are often images which I'm not sure about either way, it will always be like that I guess, but with a bit of discussion we can always reach agreement.

Lesley
mikeaspinall
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by mikeaspinall »

Hats off to Stuart for a wonderful presentation last night.

Great pictures and very droll humour. He rarely says anything about his images and let's them do the talking
but, when he does speak, you just have to listen.

Five stars Stuart.
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

In total agreement mike. A very interesting, entertains and humorous night.
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty