Thur 29th June - Photographs from the London Salon

A place for Syllabus Updates and Comments
John Hardman
Syllabus Secretary
Syllabus Secretary
Spam Protection: Maybe

Thur 29th June - Photographs from the London Salon

Post by John Hardman »

Whilst browsing the Internet I came across the London Salon and thought it may make an interesting evenings viewing for last year syllabus and it was.

Most members enjoyed the images shown.

We have purchased the image CD again and I hope that you will find the evening of interest. I have copied some facts from there website:-

http://www.londonsalon.org

The aim of the London Salon is to exhibit only that class of photographic work in which there is distinct evidence of artistic feeling and execution.

The London Salon of Photography is a unique body of photographers, from worldwide membership, whose sole aim is to exhibit, annually, the very best of pictorial photographic imagery.

Membership of the Salon is by invitation only and the roots of this organisation go back to the year 1893 when it was formed as "The Linked Ring", becoming the London Salon in 1910 when the first London Salon Exhibition was held.

The Linked Ring members were heavily involved with a breakaway organisation from the Royal Photographic Society being concerned that the Royal Society placed its emphasis on the science, their interest being with photography as art and to "encourage that class of photographic work where there is distinct evidence of artistic feeling and execution". Basically, that has been the continuing purpose of The London Salon ever since.